Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZebMayonaise
    • Nov 6, 2012

Paul Stanley 8 inch figure FIX

OK. So I am a big fan of the reissued Kiss figures from CTVT. I am not, however, completely satisfied with them. A few things. The first series ALL have screwed up, cheap *** bodies that have a permanent twist. It is so bad that I honestly cannot believe that this company is actually putting them out, much less selling them at $25! But, I did choose to buy them knowing this was in fact the case. It is easily fixed, but I am ****ed that I have to do this to an expensive product. F-U CTVT!!! You SUCK!. OK WHEW. Sorry... I needed to get that off my chest. In all fairness, Series 2 of the Kiss figures is much much better. That is... all except for Paul Stanley!!! What the HELL did they do to his Makeup?!?!?!? How did Kiss actually sign off on such a bad looking figure? It looks nothing like the original Mego or Paul Stanley!?!?!?! Here is what I am talking about:

Here we have a direct comparison between the new CTVT figure and the original Mego. Notice how the new figure looks much more like Boy George than it does Paul Stanley. Why is this? Lets look closely at the paint design. The Star is much too small, making the right side look strange. The eyebrow is also too small. The pupils are also way too small giving him a wide open stare. Below is a composite image of the original Mego face with the new make up design in PINK over the top. Notice the massive differences:

I will also point out that my Paul Stanley figure arrived with extremely poor face painting. It had dust/hair in the face paint, smudges and was poorly re-touched as mentioned in the other threads. CTVT really really screwed this one up. I should have sent him back. But, being the person I am, I decided to fix him myself. First, I cut his rubber bands and restrung him. He can now stand up straight and rock and roll! Next, I fixed his face paint trying to make it as close as I could to the original. This included the white base, Black Star and Eyebrow, Pupils and Lips. A nice Med Cadmium Red will match the lips. I'll post a better pic later, but here is one in the meantime:

Paul no longer has the coked out Boy George look.... he does still have straight, weird hair... which I may end up redoing. Does anyone know anything about getting curly hair on these guys?
    Another note: I built him a PS-10 Ibanez Iceman out of Balsa wood. He looked sort of naked without it! I am certainly glad that CTVT made some improvements with their second line, but boy did they drop the ball on the first series.
  • mego
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 16, 2012

It's hard to believe that the worst screw-up on the makeup design would be on the absolute simplest design possible. The Peter, Ace and Gene make-up look great... very very close to the original (Ace's lips are a bit small, no big deal), where the Paul is quite noticeably off. Your work on the repainting is certainly an improvement! Looks like he's been cured of his rock 'n roll pneumonia and he's ready rock!

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
      • Nov 6, 2012

Thanks! yeah... I still have to add the white reflection in his pupil, but he looks a lot better IMO already. I went from hating this figure yesterday to thinking he is one of the coolest of the bunch! CTVT should be ashamed of their quality control on these. Sorry, I just had to say it again.

Comment

• mego
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 16, 2012

The coolest of the bunch eh? I can't wait to see this guy.

Comment

• The4thDoctor
          Travelling thru time
          • Nov 2, 2011

CTVT bodies certainly are NOT the best....I find they ALL have that pee-pee stance (hehe) and some joints seem to break easily...i have a some CTVT figures here, and a few have cracked feet/ankle joint...Try and stand THAT up....LOL Your Paul hopefully will turn out fine,good luck and ROCK ON!!
          sigpic****WANT LIST-----WANT LIST***
          Denys Fisher Mego Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver acc
          Vintage Cheron
          Mego Spiderman right arm/hand
          SMDM right leg/pair socks
          Mego Green Goblin

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Here's a clip I found on how to curl hair.

HOWEVER!!! Some things to consider:
            1. Pauls hair might not be long enough for this to look good when it's all done. He might come out all Richard Simmons looking.
            2. CTVT probably doesn't use "hair" that is the same quality Mattel uses, so I would suggest NOT putting the head in absolutely boiling water. I would try going a little less hot. Still hotter than "from the faucet" hot though. Also, I don't know if I would trust putting the new paint job in the hot water, so It might be worth it to put the figure in a Ziploc bag first and then put the head in that way, so no actual water touches the figure. I think it really only needs the heat anyway.

Good Luck! I like the fixes so far! I still need to get a set for myself!!
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
              • Nov 6, 2012

Here are some better pictures of Paul's makeup fix with Gene and Ace. I DID curl his hair, THANK YOU CRIMSONGHOST!!!!

The video was very helpful. Here's what I did: I heated up some water on the stove to hot to the touch. No need to boil. I used twist ties as I didn't have any pipe cleaners. I had a mess of them in my junk drawer and they worked great. I twisted them up as shown on the video and dunked his head in the water for about 45 seconds. I tried not to get too much of his face paint in as I just repainted it, and it didn't seem to affect it much if any. Afte 45 seconds in the hot, I put his head under the faucet with cold running water. The cold will set the hair. There is NO need to leave overnight as mentioned in the video. This is plastic we're talking about here, not hair. Once it's cool, it's cool. It came out pretty nice. The original had curly hair and this made the reissue figure much closer to the original! I'm very happy with this change. Afterall, when did Paul Stanley EVER have straight hair?!?!?! Come ON CTVT! As you can see, it's still not super tight curls, but its a lot better than it was before. I strapped on his Ibanez Iceman guitar and he is ready to rock! My childhood dream is almost complete... working on Peter Criss's drum riser, drumset and stage.

Comment

• mego
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 16, 2012

"Peeeeeeeeoople! I look awesome!"
                -Retro Action Paul Stanley

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Glad I could help. He came out great!
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• boss
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 18, 2003

I think I may swap out with this head...

Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• osker55
                      Booyaaa
                      • Aug 8, 2011

anyone got any pictures of the series 2 8 inch kiss dolls or were I could check them out at?
                      Wants....

AHI wolfman mint hairy Version
                      AHI wolfman moc
                      Lincoln Wolfman and Mummy
                      Kresge moc WGSH
                      Other stuff to update

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                        • Nov 6, 2012

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...-figures/page5

Comment

• megokissface
                          • Nov 26, 2012

I actually curled ALL their hair! You will need several drinking straws,pins,hot water and ice cold water. If you go to Youtube and look up Barbie's how to curl her hair tutorial you will see how easy it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvg4rPfajYk
                          How do you Re String The KISS dolls? I dislike that weird leaning effect they have but Im afraid of messing up my figures. thanks...I hope you find this hair curling tutorial....
                          I love the nightlife..I love to boogie:googly:

Comment

• ZebMayonaise
                            • Nov 6, 2012

You will be a lot happier with re-stinging these guys. They just work better afterwards. I did mine much like in this link or here:http://megomuseum.com/custom/restringing.shtml
                            but for the Kiss bodies, you'll also need some jump rings as shown here in the lower tutorial here: http://megomuseum.com/custom/ctvtfix.shtml

If it seems daunting, don't worry about it. you can't really mess it up. Just take a look at the links, get the elastic and jump-rings from a craft store. Line up your tools and go to work. Do one at a time. The first one took me a while, I had to re-do it a few times. After that, it is now super easy. I can do a figure from start to finish in 5 min. Best of luck!
                            oh... and post some pics of your Kiss figures with curly hair!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎