X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

Crowded TARDIS?

I've just been reading reports that Sarah Jane Smith also puts in an appearance in season 4....are the beeb beeb ceeb going for the record of most companions in a season?
    Plus in an interview with John Barrowman he mentions that he has a return to season 4 in his recording schedule.....good thing the Tardis is bigger on the inside eh!
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I love Sarah Jane Smith and would always welcome a return visit from her, but I would rather they dig out another oldie ...... Someone we haven't seen in a long time.
    Maybe someone like Ace, Peri, Tegan, Nyssa, Jo or dare I say-- Romana

I really wish they'd write a story centering on Susan.

Barrowman is always a good guest.
    I don't think there's one DW story with Jack I didn't like.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
      • Nov 21, 2007

Do you get the "Sarah Jane Adventures" in the states yet...it's aimed more at kids but is good nevertheless.
      ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I don't think it's playing here in the US at all.

I do have the first episode.....
        A buddy of mine in the UK recorded it for me, but it's recorded in PAL and my NTSC player won't play the video --- (only the sound)...
        My computer will play it, but I can't bring myself to playing it on the computer 'cause I wanna lay on the couch when I watch it

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk
          I love Sarah Jane Smith and would always welcome a return visit from her, but I would rather they dig out another oldie ...... Someone we haven't seen in a long time.
          Maybe someone like Ace, Peri, Tegan, Nyssa, Jo or dare I say-- Romana

I really wish they'd write a story centering on Susan.

Barrowman is always a good guest.
          I don't think there's one DW story with Jack I didn't like.
          Please not Peri that "american" accent UGHH especially when compared to actors like Hugh Laurie or Damian lewis

I think Susan would be a wonderful choice

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I actually think (or thought) Peri's fake Yank accent was pretty good.
            Good enough that I didn't even know she was a Brit putting it on 'till well after the fact.
            Could be because I was more interested in looking at her then listening to her voice

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
              • Nov 21, 2007

She's loverly even with the fake accent...and touched my knee once at a Who convention when we were sitting next to each other..........immediately afterwards I had that part of my knee surgically removed and framed so I can lick it any time I want to...

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

She's actually still quite young today.

She's only 45 or 46 --- (three years older than me)

I never realized that back in the mid 80's

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  • Aug 8, 2007

I actually think (or thought) Peri's fake Yank accent was pretty good.
                  Good enough that I didn't even know she was a Brit putting it on 'till well after the fact.
                  Could be because I was more interested in looking at her then listening to her voice
                  even as a looker I found many other companions far more compelling - leela, Jo grant, Tegan, Both Romanas. Her accent grated on me from the beginning. It wasn't quite as bad as a hong kong "american" ala godzilla movies but pretty rough

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

If i'm remembering correctly, one of Peri's worst fake American words was Doctor.

She used to pronounce it DOCTUR with a really strong emphasis on the **.

I guess to most English people it does seem like Americans say Doctur... but our "**" is much lighter...

edited to add,
                    My above words are not bad words.
                    I have no idea why the filter is filtering them out.
                    It's just a U and an R
                    Last edited by Mikey; Feb 2, '08, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>I don't think it's playing here in the US at all.

Gimme a week or so and I can send the first couple; BBC-K is showing it here. They're very good. It's surprising how much goes on in each episode. As a friend of mine pointed out: it's werid to compare this with similar American kids shows. Unlike our stuff, the monsters are actually trying to KILL the kids, and not just steal their homework.

I'd love to see something with Susan. She's the biggest loose thread from the series. Presumably she's a Time Lord; or at least a Gallifreyan. She stayed on Earth, was probably married, and might have kids somewhere.

And yeah; I liked Peri too, but I think that had something to do with the onset of puberty....

Don C.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                        • Nov 21, 2007

Dr Who was never a kids show ..it always has been made by the beebs drama department and not the childrens department...It was initially intended to be the "family " programme that linked the end of childrens viewing (after the sport) and the begining of the evenings entertainment so that everyone could sit and enjoy it together ...which I must say the new stuff is suceeding in as its one of the only programmes my family all sit and watch together..

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          • Aug 8, 2007

If i'm remembering correctly, one of Peri's worst fake American words was Doctor.

She used to pronounce it DOCTUR with a really strong emphasis on the **.

I guess to most English people it does seem like Americans say Doctur... but our "**" is much lighter...

edited to add,
                          My above words are not bad words.
                          I have no idea why the filter is filtering them out.
                          It's just a U and an R
                          as a yank it sounded like DACKTUR to me. yes amercian english OR does sound like "**" and yours sounds like a to us
                          Last edited by jds1911a1; Feb 4, '08, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

In Jersey, we'd pronounce it DOCKTER.

Love that DOCKTER HOO

m

Comment

• johnmiic
                              Adrift
                              • Sep 6, 2002

Mike,

I thought she sorta said it like, Dock-terrrrrr. Emphasis on the , "errrrr".
                              Would it be a Calif accent she was trying to do? Or is that more NY?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎