Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Return to the moon...major matt mason coming---what do you want to see toy-wise?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tristan
    • Nov 9, 2010

Return to the moon...major matt mason coming---what do you want to see toy-wise?

With the recent passing of Astronaut Niel Armstrong, I took a long hard look at what I really loved about the space program and all the cool reality-based stuff that had come out, especially MAJOR MATT MASON. I know there is a movie that is coming, probably by the end of next year or year after. Mattel recently put out a MAJOR MATT WRESTLING BUDDY--big stuffed doll and in his standard moon suit to boot. SDCC 2012, Mattel had ALL vintage Major Matt Mason toys in a display case. Considering that Hasbro's TRANSFORMERS and GI JOE had movies to help support the line, Im hoping this is Mattel's way of seeing MAJOR MATT is BACK. Questions that hit my mind are A) Will Mattel just re-issue the classic bendy body w/helmet and new head and all the classic toys it came with? B) Will Mattel come up with a new and improved version based on the old or have the look and feel of the old MMM and some new and interesting vehicles? C) Will they do both a classic line and a 3 3/4 line? D) Will they have playsets and vehicles? If so, what should Mattel be shooting for?

Here are my thoughts

A) CLASSIC LINE IS A MUST--Using the same body, 4 different colors (white, red, yellow, blue) , 5 if you want a silver version, the same heads should be used and come with a helmet w/visor. Why? Nostalgia and folks that remembered MMM back in the day want the same as it was in yesteryear. Vehicles, I would hold off on unless Mattel would do something small like a sit down track sled or accessories card like they did in the day---keep it small, but they can easily charge 12-14$ MSRP and make a killing.

B) 3 3/4 figures would definately work, again same body-I would go with what Hasbro is doing with Joes/SW but keep the articulation a bit simple and focus on detail and playability. This leaves Mattel a chance to make some great vehicles ---what vehicles I have no idea, but I know I would love to see a LUNAR LANDER, COMMAND MODULE W/SERVICE MODULE (Make sure they can connect) and a ROVER of some sort to start.

C) Yes, DO BOTH!

D) God I hope so. If I was MATTEL, I would be shooting for the nostalgia factor and base everything that are thinking of doing on reality based vehicles and sensible playsets.

Vehicles-

-Some sort of Lunar Lander with detachable ascent stage--#1) Its classic and its based on the Apollo landings, I know MMM lives and works on the moon, but this set could also be used to help educate kids about SPACE and MOON EXPLORATION, especially from the beginning. Also this could be sold thru Discovery Channel/History Channel as well as NASA and NATL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM and other SPACE MUSEUMS. It has never been done other than on a very small scale, 1/48 I think. Allow for two astronauts, opening/closing hatch, compartment for storage and some minor accessories and lights/sounds if you really want all the bells and whistles.

-Command Module w/Service Module---A capsule may not work here but I like the COMMAND MODULE to connect to the LUNAR LANDER, but with this connection, I wanted the COMMAND/SERVICE Module to be able to be a playset unto itself and possibly connect to other Command/Service modules via a multi docking port that can be sold with it. Inside can be opened by opening a side panel similar to the old MMM TRANSPORT but with small connectors for feet on inside and outside, an umblical line, hatch to open and close, duty stations, stand up sleeping bags. The idea is to turn this playset into a component piece to make a Lunar Station.

Rover is a most, but I would hope something akin to what was conceptualized back when we hoped we would have a colony on the moon by the Year 2000.

I was very taken with Playmobil just due to the availability of parts, accessories and figures (ie esp astronaut) but my ideas for Playmobil could easily be utilized in a MMM line. I ask that you look at the link below and lmk what you think. I recently visited Wildtoys.com and checked out PAT LeBLANC's MMM scale LUNAR LANDER, its frakking amazing.

blog link--there are sketches and mockups to be seen.

Below is a copy of what I wrote earlier this year, it would definately apply to MMM and I think it would do very well.

Recently I watched "WHEN WE LEFT EARTH...THE NASA MISSIONS". The Military Channel had a documentary on the exploration of space, from the first Mercury missions, Gemini, Apollo and finally, the Space Shuttle. It showed mankind's first steps into the BLACK. I have always been thrilled with SPACE EXPLORATION, I had always hoped that Playmobil would tap into that like it did with Playmospace. Playmobil's last attempt at the SPACE theme seemed to leave one wanting, at least me anyway. There is so much to go to. Granted they wont tap anything with a license usually, but this seemed like a no brainer. The Exploration of Space, the final frontier. New Planets, new adventures.

Pasted above is a blog I made about some of what I wish to see, some customs that I have made. Some are crude but if you can stomach that and look past the amateur attempts, then you will see something totally worthwhile and plausible.

The SPACE Frontier theme can be broken into many sub themes/specialties that I think have incredible potential not only to thrill Playmobil fans and customizers, but for everyone that ever dreamed of being an astronaut.

Themes include but are not limited to
    RETRO SPACE (FLASH GORDONESQUE type ship with minor changes to the astronauts/spacement)

.REAL SPACE -

-THE BEGINNING/

HL-24 LIFTING BODY aircraft (think 6Million dollar man's aircraft}
    MERCURY-- capsule-1 astronaut,
    GEMINI capsule--2 astronauts (complete with tether for spacewalk and docking apparatus/rocket body with docking hub at tip),
    APOLLO Command Module and Lander (both can be bought seperate but can dock with each other, A Soyuz module (can dock with American Command module.
    SPACE SHUTTLE-Shortened obviously but able to take a payload. I would really love to see it take a SPACE STATION COMPONENT/CANNISTER
    EVA ASTRONAUT-Manned Maneuvering Unit-MMU with astronaut
    SPACE STATION-unlike the 1st playmospace station, this will be component based and allow for attatchment of hand and foot holds on the outside so that we can get a zero G effect. They will be like cannisters that can open and you can see inside, think of it like a cylinder like lunch box. The ends and the bottom stay together, but a sidewall can swing open to reveal the inside (there will be male/female docking ports on each end plus multi dock stations that can allow for bigger connections and accessories like thrust rockets, satellite packs, work stations, antennae etc...

FUTURE SPACE

LUNAR/MARS EXPLORATION SETS-
    education component could be GEOLOGY, SAFETY, TOPOGRAPHY, Tools and equipment required as well as how to measure/survey, Planets, atmospheres, zero or low gravity, farming/hyrdroponics--when I went to Disney in Florida, they were growing plants in tubes with a complicated irrigation system-nothing was wasted, it was incredible. They made hydroponics exciting. Nasa is also a part of this hydroponics program so this was actually educational and a test bed.

Surveyor team (two astronauts, survey equipment)

ROVER-rover vehicle designed to go over rough terrain, smaller rover in back, science station inside as well as cab for driving/flip out beds. Large wheels with a spring system to allow for traversering over tough rocky terrain.

APOLLO LIKE LEM AND COMMAND/SERVICE MODULES--

TRANSPORT LANDER-Based on the 2001 space odyssey Aries 1B, this will be the playset on the go, it can open to reveal observation area in the middle, storage under that for a small rover and equipment, the top section will have a cockpit that allows for two pilots.

Note-much like the USS DISCOVERY, there will be a habitat ring on the upper shell-the upper shell will open to a vertical position while the bottom half is static (there will be a hatch that leads from the bottom to the ground and slide out ramp for EVA and rover. The upper sphere will have hand and foot holds to simulate zero G. If you ever saw 2001 ASO or Mission to Mars, this is what Im trying to squeeze into the playset. This hab ring will be inset a bit into the sphere so as not to interfere with the Observation deck but there is plenty of room to accomadate the explorers.

EVA MAINTENANCE VEHICLE-my own design, this allows for the astronaut to be work in space, using it much like an undersea explorer pod with graspers and full visual windows to actually help build constructs in space. Astronaut can wear a suit or go without one. There will be a handle in the back to maneuver and to work graspers with a trigger.

DOCKING TRANSPORT POD ---to facilitate the transfer from one vehicle to another, the docking transport pod can also be a tug for transporting supplies as well as people. (not shown yet-but it is an irregular asymetrical craft--pics/sketches to come.)

HEY MATTEL IF YOU ARE READING PLEASE USE ANY OF THE IDEAS LISTED.
    Last edited by Tristan; Sep 15, '12, 8:10 PM.
  • Megotu
    jerk
    • Dec 16, 2001

I think just a little tweaking of the Imaginext 2 inch figures and playsets in the space line would MMMize it very well.
    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Unless the Tom Hanks Major Matt Mason Movie actually comes out, I think new mass market line is, unfortunately, very unlikely.

My wish list, though, for any updated MMM line is to keep it very sci-fi. Realism is boring to me. I'd like the style to be retro futuristic. Also, aliens like Callisto and Scorpio are a must and add some new characters and villains.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Tristan
        • Nov 9, 2010

I agree, I just wish their figures looked better, something more like the old FP ADVENTURE PEOPLE, everything was more reality based roles. Granted Imaginext would be a great addition to the MMM line, but I would prefer to see something closer to reality or concepts that MMM was originally based on. It can still be fun for kids and they can relate to it when they watch anything related to the Apollo missions as well as a good MMM movie :D

Comment

• Tristan
          • Nov 9, 2010

MMM has a 100 million dollar budget and they have a director, Im pretty sure its a go. Given Tom Hanks love of SPACE EXPLORATION and MMM, Ive got to remain hopeful that the movie will come to pass. The Wrestle Buddy of MMM is a good sign as well as the vintage display to help stir the pot. When I say realism, Im talking only in the vein of design, some sort of lander with a descent stage and ascent stage with the triagle windows and hatch is all Im rooting for. Something that is relatable to childhood fantasies of exploring the moon and other worlds. Why do Aliens always have to be evil? Space is more of an unknown, Id like to think man is open to different perspectives and to step outside of his comfort zone. If they can work in Callisto and Scorpio and we get a MMM toy line, Ill still be all in.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Tristan
            Why do Aliens always have to be evil?
            Callisto and Scorpio aren't and neither was Captain Lazer and I don't want them to be the bad guys. Adding villains, human and alien, to the line adds conflict and makes it more exciting. Classic Trek did this well. You can "explore strange new worlds" and fight bad guys at the same time.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Tristan
              • Nov 9, 2010

[IMG][/IMG]

Im sure FP would do something similar to this. It could work.

Comment

• Tristan
                • Nov 9, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
                Callisto and Scorpio aren't and neither was Captain Lazer and I don't want them to be the bad guys. Adding villains, human and alien, to the line adds conflict and makes it more exciting. Classic Trek did this well. You can "explore strange new worlds" and fight bad guys at the same time.
                I mispoke, please accept my apology. I was just checking out the MMM space station, Im sure if they did a 3 3/4 line, something similar to the DeathStar playset could be utilized, especially with an exterior on one side and interior open on the other, it would offer more play. Although I would ditch the trash compactor and just go for a flip up door to a ground level lunar motor pool.
                Last edited by Tristan; Sep 15, '12, 9:05 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Tristan
                  I mispoke, please accept my apology.
                  Hey, no worries.

Originally posted by Megotu
                  I think just a little tweaking of the Imaginext 2 inch figures and playsets in the space line would MMMize it very well.
                  Yeah! I remember when I first saw these

I was thinking how crazy easy it would have been to brand these as MMM. A little repainting and you've got new MMM toys. Definitely a missed opportunity to introduce kids to MMM.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

I had everything except Cap Lazer. I think it should be 1/18 scale-3 3/4 inch, but we are talking Mattel. They screwed up the 1/18 scale Infinite Heroes line. They will probably try to stay close to the JLU scale, which sucks for vehicles and playsets, but might work with the old stuff. I think they should go 1/18 because of the Outer Spacemen figures just released by the 4 Horsemen. I had all of the old colorforms ones and they matched up perfect. The individual tracs they were packaged with and the space sled at least should be done. The Space Station is a must.

CCC.

Comment

• Enik24
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jul 4, 2011

Mattel seems to be testing the market for MMM because of the Comic-con display. (Not to mention the wrestling buddy,too bad that won't be made.) I really hope mattel is planning a new line,or maybe they could give the license to the Four Horsemen?
                      <>_<> I will always be watching you, always.

Comment

• spacecaps
                        Second Mouse
                        • Aug 24, 2011

I was kind of hoping for the MMM crew meets a Colorform Aliens type of movie with maybe some Zeroid looking like robots. Set it in the 60's Jetsons like Space Age so it looks like Forbidden Planet or something like that. That could be awesome. Remember what happened when Lost In Space got the modern treatment? It didnt really work. Part of the charm of MMM and all those early space toys is that there's an emphasis on early. There's an inherent innocence to them that will just get lost in the shuffle if they got all modern with them. As for a modern line, there was actually a rehash of these figures a few years ago by a company called Leadworks. They didn't say anything about MMM but it was the molds and they were bendy just like the originals. They also made a bunch of colors that didn't make the original line like a green one and a silver one. At one time you could have grabbed them off the clearance rack at stores like Zany Brainy and other stores where "educational toys" are sold but today they sell for stupid money for some reason on ebay these days.
                        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• spacecaps
                          Second Mouse
                          • Aug 24, 2011

OH and BTW Scorpio is a bad alien. Calisto is MMM's friend.
                          "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by spacecaps
                            As for a modern line, there was actually a rehash of these figures a few years ago by a company called Leadworks. They didn't say anything about MMM but it was the molds and they were bendy just like the originals.
                            They were bootlegs. I think those came out a good 10 years ago now. I got the full set carded when the first hit before the prices went ups. Nice quality for knock offs. All four figures use the same mold which looked to be taken from a vintage MMM "big head" figure. The heads don't turn and they don't have the plastic feet. But other than that they are pretty close. The helmets are spot on.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by spacecaps
                              OH and BTW Scorpio is a bad alien.

"Yet his menacing looks give us the impression that he's an enemy or villain. According to the short story of Scorpio on the back of his 8" x 13" x 2" window box he is a friend and alley of Major Matt Mason from another far away galaxy."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎