Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People trying to flog off new star wars action figures as vintage items.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark
    Museum Patron
    • Sep 22, 2010

People trying to flog off new star wars action figures as vintage items.

A friend of mine today came over to my place with a box of supposed vintage Star wars figures, I was very quick to tell them about their real age.
    Has anyone else noticed these type of issues these days in the world of toy collecting? I regularly go to yard sales around my area all of the time and like Beatle items, anything Star Wars always has a high price tag attached to it.
    But I do find it funny when you see a 10 - 15 year old item with a 70's price tag on it.
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

You have to gauge for yourself if the person is dishonest or just doesn't know. I see a lot of eBay listing with 'rare' in them, and 20 or 30 people selling the same item, some for a lot less than the ones labeled rare. I think those people are dishonest. If it was so rare, how come there are so many available? I wish there was a way to report this type of abuse to Ebay, but this pales compared to other complaints they get and I just don't think they care.

CCC.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

It's been that way for quite some time now. I can't tell you how many people tried to pass off the POTF2 version of Yak Face as the original when he first came out.

Comment

• jds1911a1
        Alan Scott is the best GL
        • Aug 8, 2007

Technically a mid 90's toy is vintage now it's almost 20 years old, but so what there are so many available they're worthless. kinda like 90's comics or sports cards. Old don't mean valuable. I love my 77 tbird but it's only worth about 5 grand, a 76 torino (basically the same car except ffor the sheet metal) is worth twice that much or more because the made like a millionn tbirds in 77 and ther torino has the s&H vibe so there is more market for them.

Comment

• Mark
          Museum Patron
          • Sep 22, 2010

It would be great to own a classic car though, Strangely enough a 77tbird over in Australia would be worth well over 25,000. Again it is about supply and demand.

Comment

• danadoll
            Micronaut Nut!
            • Apr 11, 2005

Just like the word "rare", "vintage" has become a very misused and abused word on Ebay.

Dana
            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
              70's Era Pimp
              • Sep 7, 2011

Keep in mind, to alot of people 17 years is vintage. Believe me I know what you mean, but considering that an item only 20 - 25 years can be labeled "antiques" or "vintage", this will become an ongoing thing. The 90's stuff is actually old now. The 70's stuff is just really old. Star Wars figures from 1979 were considered vintage/old/antique in 1995. That is only 16 years. Now the 1995 stuff is 17 years old. I would say that the average person just doesn't know the difference.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by danadoll
                Just like the word "rare", "vintage" has become a very misused and abused word on Ebay.
                Type in vintage SW on Ebay, and you get tons of new stuff on "vintage style" cards. Or on custom cards.
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MegoMark71
                  Permanent Member
                  • Dec 18, 2008

It is annoying when looking for original SW figures.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                    Persistent Member
                    • Oct 3, 2007

Look at this way most of us are over 20 years old. So we're not old! We're VINTAGE!!!
                    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                    MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎