Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too cool not to share: '60s Universal Monster inflatables on ingenious display.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkmonkeygod
    Career Member
    • Sep 5, 2005

Too cool not to share: '60s Universal Monster inflatables on ingenious display.

Over on the Universal Monster Army message board, collector extraordinaire Richard Olsen has shared an incredible display he created for his Takara Universal Monster large size inflatables. Adding to the fantasticness of it all, Richard has owned these since he got them when they were new if I remember correctly (perhaps one came later on). His collection of monster toys is truly staggering, especially for a seventies / eighties kid like me. Richard grew up in and collected the toys of the age I day dream about. He was in the heart of the monster boom and never stopped and never fails to know, show, and share some deeply interesting, often obscure, and mind blowing info.

I've linked directly to the post below, I think you. An see his photos without being a member of the website, but if not, sign up. There's no spam involved and there's lots of cool stuff to see:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/...?topic=19630.0

Best,

Shannon
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

That's a really clever idea for displaying those. Now what's the story behind those guys? I've been around when it comes to Japanese toys, but I have never seen these before. When did they come out? How big are they?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Those are awesome. The printed artwork on them is outstanding.

I have a Dracula welcome mat like the Wolfman one he has too.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• megoat
        A Therefore Experience
        • Jun 10, 2003

Super cool. I lucked out and found a couple of those at a tag sale for like $1 each about 4 years ago.....at the time I didn't even know what I had until I posted 'em up on this very board!

Comment

• megoat
          A Therefore Experience
          • Jun 10, 2003

Also, Shannon, I remember there being talk that these were issued in two sizes--has this been definitely established with all four monsters having been found in both sizes? Just curious....

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
            Career Member
            • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by megoat
            Super cool. I lucked out and found a couple of those at a tag sale for like $1 each about 4 years ago.....at the time I didn't even know what I had until I posted 'em up on this very board!
            Oh I remeber that well. Blew my mind, and we corresponded about them then. I still wish I could have afforded the Creature.

Also, Shannon, I remember there being talk that these were issued in two sizes--has this been definitely established with all four monsters having been found in both sizes? Just curious....
            There are. The ones Richard has pictured are roughly two feet tall. He also has the shorter Mummy (not pictured) and I think tose are 16 to 18 inches tall. Search around on the UMA, another member found a packaged Creature, and if you are signed in, you can access the gallery in the media section which has photos of tons of great monster toys.

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
              Career Member
              • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
              That's a really clever idea for displaying those. Now what's the story behind those guys? I've been around when it comes to Japanese toys, but I have never seen these before. When did they come out? How big are they?
              They're odd and rare. Seems they were released in the States during the mid '60s monster craze. With as many Takara catalogues, ads, and inflatables as I have searched and seen, I've never seen any more information about these. I've got a number of Shonen King mags with monster content and have relentlessly searched for them and info about them. There are several collectors who had them as kids, but Richard is the only one I know of who still has them and has shared his vivid memories of them. I've never met any Japanese collectors or collectors of Takara stuff that know a thing about the series, and there are very few of each know to be in the community. A real oddity.
              Last edited by darkmonkeygod; Sep 1, '12, 6:13 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Interesting, so these were released in the US then. Do you think they had a Japanese release too? That would be interesting, because it doesn't seem like there was a Universal monster craze with Japanese kids in the 60's like there was here. I can't really think of any other Japanese released toys from that era that involve the Universal monsters, so these really do seem to be an oddity. It's very cool learning about them though, thanks!

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                  Career Member
                  • Sep 5, 2005

Interesting, so these were released in the US then. Do you think they had a Japanese release too?
                  It seems odd, but the few packaged examples that have turned up are in English, and as I wrote, I've yet to meet any Japanese collectors familiar with these. Takara did make toys for the US market, so it's not impossible that these were US only. There are tons of characters they made there we never saw State side, of course.

That would be interesting, because it doesn't seem like there was a Universal monster craze with Japanese kids in the 60's like there was here. I can't really think of any other Japanese released toys from that era that involve the Universal monsters, so these really do seem to be an oddity. It's very cool learning about them though, thanks!
                  There are a couple of Universal model kits and a lot of Kong stuff (which was RKO and Rankin Bass then), but it wasn't until the mid eighties Bilikin vinyl kits, Bandai's Horror World, Takara's Horror World games, and some stuffed toys that more UM toy merch came along. There was definitely interest in the '60s, with monsters on the cover of kids magazines and Batman being super popular, but the space race and Japan's own host of characters - with the Godzilla pantheon and Ultra brothers - are much more prominent. There are a number of Japanese books and manga through the decades which feature the American monsters and the films were released over there repeatedly, but I've never been able to track down if things like the Aurora kits were ever distributed there.

Happy to share, but it's people like Richard and Brian H are the ones who really go all out and fish people like me out of the background. Thanks again for all of it!

Comment

• megoat
                    A Therefore Experience
                    • Jun 10, 2003

Y'know Shannon, since I had mine a few years back I haven't really tracked these on eBay. How often do they come up? Do the prices fluctuate wildly? If I remember my creature hit like $1K and the wolfman did $400--are these in line with current prices?

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, I'm aware of all the Japanese Universal merchandise from the 80's on, but I really haven't seen anything from the 60's and 70's. The only US licensed stuff that really seemed to show up in Japan in the 60's was the Batman merchandise, plus some GI Joe and Captain Action, and those Marusan Lost in Space dolls. As you say, that period was mostly dominated by Marusan Godzilla and Ultra models and toys. I also have never heard if the Aurora models made it over there (even though Marusan based their earliest Godzilla toys on the Aurora Godzilla model), but if they had, I'm sure they would have been quite popular.

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                        Career Member
                        • Sep 5, 2005

Y'know Shannon, since I had mine a few years back I haven't really tracked these on eBay. *How often do they come up? *Do the prices fluctuate wildly? *If I remember my creature hit like $1K and the wolfman did $400--are these in line with current prices?
                        They don't come up that I know of, but I don't follow it as religiously as I once did - I got heavily priced out a bit back (say, four years ago ;-) ). These are hard because they aren't as easily describable as many other things, so who's to say they don't pass under the radar? Since yours I don't have any personal knowledge of any on eBay.*

Monster items have some of the greatest price fluctuations that I know of on toys, and items being spread across so many manufacturers and decades only adds to that phenomenon. The fellow on the UMA who found the loose Frankenstein and the packaged Creature (not Richard) was asking an ambitious price for the Creature, but as it's only the second one I've ever heard of hitting the market in thirty plus years, I can't fault him. There are three or four Creature collectors with deep, deep pockets, and until they each have one (or more) of something, there is no "market" price. You also end up getting into the territory of people "protecting their investment", but I'll politely leave off on any personal commentary on that mind set.*

I know a number of collectors who wouldn't give these things the time of day if not for the perceived value, and then there are people like me who wish a couple of thousand pieces of old store stock would be found and drop 'em all to $20. I just don't want anyone to bootleg, repop, license and remake 'em, as that way tends to lead to someone overpaying for something they think they are getting. Newly designed inflatable konsters sure would be cool though. But I digress...

As with so much, the value is in the eye of the beholder, but $400 to $600 each, with the Creature being a total wild card is likely. And that's loose. You could probably double that bagged.*

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                          Career Member
                          • Sep 5, 2005

Oh yeah, I'm aware of all the Japanese Universal merchandise from the 80's on, but I really haven't seen anything from the 60's and 70's. The only US licensed stuff that really seemed to show up in Japan in the 60's was the Batman merchandise, plus some GI Joe and Captain Action, and those Marusan Lost in Space dolls. As you say, that period was mostly dominated by Marusan Godzilla and Ultra models and toys. I also have never heard if the Aurora models made it over there (even though Marusan based their earliest Godzilla toys on the Aurora Godzilla model), but if they had, I'm sure they would have been quite popular.
                          I think it was Yonezawa that did the Aurora inspired kits (well, the box art was inspired by 'em), but the first instance of the Aurora sculpts being issued in Japan, TMK, are via partnership between Hasegawa and Monogram, and they issued the Phantom of the Opera too, which we didn't get here again until the Luminators in the '90s. That's a big gap. I wonder how many of the things we made there (so much Marx tin, early Mego, early AHI) were ever for sale in Japan outside of US military PXes.

There's a lot of Japan released Batman merch, but as far as Captain Action, while I personally think some day the advertised Ultraman suit will pop up and blow people's minds, are their ANY Japanese packaged CA items? The licensing and gaijinization of G.I. Joe (they gave him big, round eyes!) was a brilliant move on Takara's part - and led to Henshen Cyborg (and all the awesome suits) Microman, Timanic, and on, creating Cyborg in the UK and ultimately resulting in not just Micronauts here in the states, but Transformers. Bullmark had a good long run, as did Popy, but Takara kept innovating (as did Bandai) and are still at it today.

On a related note, one of the things that is so cool about the Robot House Universal Monster tin wind ups from 1991 (a US based company and release) is that design wise - but not packaging - they are a dream product of late '60s Japan. Imagine if they had actually been done then!

Do you know if the Marusan Lost in Space dolls were ever sold into the States?

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, there was tons of Batman stuff in Japan, really great stuff too. You know, I don't recall ever seeing any CA items in Japanese packaging. I've seen the ads, so I always assumed there were some, but you'd think some pics would have turned up by now. I'm always fascinated by the story of of how GI Joe resulted in the Transformers (from Hasbro, to Japan, little side trip the UK along the way, and at the end back to Hasbro). I always liked those monster tin wind ups, very Japanese looking. I've never heard of the Marusan LIS dolls ever having any kind of US release. And sadly, the actual product is more disappointing than one would think they would be.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                              as far as Captain Action, while I personally think some day the advertised Ultraman suit will pop up and blow people's minds, are their ANY Japanese packaged CA items?
                              I've been researching Japanese Captain Action items a bit, and based on what I've read written by knowledgeable Japanese collectors, the CA stuff was released in Japan in the US boxes, with Japanese paperwork inside (and probably some sort of sticker on the box) and the Ultraman suit was never made and the one pictured was only a prototype. If true, too bad, I would have loved to see some crazy Japanese CA packaging, and a CA Ultraman.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎