• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

CTVT Space 1999: a total wreck!

What a quality purchase that was!
    I thought: always wanted to have Mego Space 1999, let's give these a try.
    I bought Bergman and Maya.
    Maya's hand was at the bottom of the blister, so I was off to a nice start.
    Then I opened up Bergman, and he fell apart in my hands: first the legs fell off, then the arms.

Nice work, guys!
    Another line I won't be collecting any further...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

You just ran into the typical CTVT body problems. The Space 1999 female bodies also usually have broken ankles. When I bought the whole set they were $5.00 each and I figured that even if I had to restring the male bodies and replace the female ones it was still worth it to have these figures. Since I bought them right from CTVT they sent me replacements on the broken female figures, I just had to call them and tell them what my issues were. Unfortunately they no longer carry the female body seperately. As for restringing the male body, I came up with a good method and posted it here http://megomuseum.com/community/show...601#post779601

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

I was fine with the defects until recently I saw their price increase on many of the lines. If one of their figures is gonna cost $15 or 20 they need to fix ALL their problems or get new bodies.

They happy days set (forgot which one) is the best deal ive seen on their lately. 5 figures for 25 dollars. It might be better to just buy most of the figures in pieces (clothes, shoes, weapon, etc...) and then get the drmego bodies. Of course, thats only when that options available.

Comment

• jimsmegos
        Mego Dork
        • Nov 9, 2008

The CTVT stuff still breaks my heart. To have so many fun licenses and reissues but to have so many quality control problems is just sad. Still I have to give them props for stepping it up with the new KISS 8 inch figures. But the price hike on the existing product is a terrible mistake in my opinion. At $3 to $5 a piece for those that's be okay but anything more would just hack me off (if I didn't know better already) once I opened 'em up. So in the end I'd never pay the $10 a piece for a piece that is 'ok' to display but completely out of the realm of play.

Looking back on when I first discovered them in '08 I was so excited to see the figures I knew I could (or at least try like heck) to distribute and sell them in various mom and pop retail stores like Mego did back in the day. But sadly when I got my first few cases in it was just devastating to see the quality issues. Wow, four years later and I'm still hung up on it.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

I fixed Bergman legs (I know older people break hips, but this is ridiculous), so he can stand again. A crude fix, but the pants cover it all.
          Maya's wrists had virtually desintegrated. Also had a really hard time getting her feet inside the boots.
          I don't really care how "cheap" these go for (they cost me $30 shipped for the two), the quality is simply terrible. I had been planning to get more, but luckily I got these as test samples.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• captact
            King of Super Queens!
            • Aug 19, 2007

IMO the CTV heads and outfits on them are awesome,..so its worth restringing the bodies ala "magyar1964" or replacing them with Dr. Mego bodies!
            Last edited by captact; Aug 18, '12, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, the heads and outfits are good, but then the hunt for bodies begins!

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I especially hate they are a little too small to go with normal Megos so you can't fix them with Mego parts.

I tried to put a Tony head and suit on a Mego body and it looked like s___t

Comment

• captact
                  King of Super Queens!
                  • Aug 19, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey
                  I especially hate they are a little too small to go with normal Megos so you can't fix them with Mego parts.

I tried to put a Tony head and suit on a Mego body and it looked like s___t
                  Really? And how does it look on a Doc Mego body? Better? Worse?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

the original head sculpts from CTVT are all a bit big for the bodies, scalewise. I never noticed any major issue with size comparisons to Dr mego or original mego. they are all slightly different sizes but close enough to look natural on a display shelf

Comment

• johnmiic
                      Adrift
                      • Sep 6, 2002

I swapped put the old CTVT bodies for Doc Mego bodies on Bergman & Tony. When I get a paycheck again, hopefully soon, I'll swap the rest of the bodies out. I suppose I could try shrinking soime of the heads that are too big but have heard female heads w/rooted hair don't shrink well and the rooted area just falls apart.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

The same thing happened to me, I bought Maya and Bergman immediately, the two 8" figures I always wanted. Maya's feet snapped off and Bergman withered and died within seconds of opening the box, like the air was poison.

I never bought another 1999 figure, I should probably get around to swapping them out some time..
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Figuremod73
                          That 80's guy
                          • Jul 27, 2011

Probably a stupid question but: is the body issues specific to any one line? So far ive only bought the Knights but the bodies didnt have any of those defects BUT I wasnt to happy with the posing problems so im either gonna eventually restring them or get better bodies.

I cant believe Robin Hood jumped in price almost ten dollars.....

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I never had any problems with the Munsters figures, those things were really nice.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megocrazy
                              Museum Trouble Maker
                              • Feb 18, 2007

When the figures were $5 and you could put it on one of Doc's bodies for another $7 they were a decent deal if you wanted to collect the line. The plastic on the bodies is simply sub standard on 95% of the bodies CTVT made. They look fine on DM bodies. For some reason there were better quality with the Munster bodies and the glow in the dark bodies.
                              It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎