X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

Evel Knievel: Before and After

I had the camera out. Might as well take more pics of the old toys. Good old Evel Knievel...at least his toys were good. This is one of the few items that I repurchased on eBay. The first set of pics is a combination of some of my original pieces (winder and dirt bike) with some 1990's eBay purchases. The featured white suit Evel is new old stock, fresh from the plastic bag. After getting him, I decided there is NO way I'm sending him on the stunt cycle. That cycle never lands right! So I got the red suited guy (and an extra helmet). The red suited guy is super clean too, but he has made a few rides on the stunt cycle.

We'll call these the "before" images...what Evel looks like before being subjected to about 10yrs of abuse.

And now the reason why I had to repurchase Evel on eBay...there was no amount of cleaning that was going to fix this mess. My original Evel doesn't have an unbroken wire in his body. Kind of like the real Evel was. Thanks for the memories Evel!

• Remco Monster
    GLOWS in the Dark!
    • May 3, 2006

Heck yeah! Most fun toy of all time! Sweet score on that bagged Evel.

Comment

• littlewink
      Museum Patron
      • May 19, 2008

This was by far the best toy ever for a boy in the 70s, the abuse I put mine through was unbelievable. I am still looking for one with box for my collection but the price for a 70s version is completly nuts!

Comment

• nobody
        banjo!
        • Jan 26, 2012

If I had ones of these I'd be sooooooooo tempted to go play with it in the drive way.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

I miss my childhood Knievel. I must get one again somewhere along the way...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Myoldtoys
            Veteran Member
            • May 15, 2012

The amazing thing is that beat-up stunt cycle in the "after" pictures still runs perfectly. I've been looking for one that doesn't work so that I can transplant the body and engines onto it. It was an early stunt cycle with the chrome engine. There was a hill up the road from my parent's house. Evel had lots of crashes on the way down, and it was a tar-and-chipped road. My Dad melted that bike together many times.

Comment

• Wasimhosen
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 23, 2011

I remember playing with these in my friends driveway. We set up a ramp and had his sister lay underneath it. The cycle landed in her long hair and got totally tangled up, her mother had to cut the cycle out.

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                • May 12, 2011

Evel was the man !!!! Still is .......
                "JUST 2 GOOD OLE BOYS,NEVER MEANING NO HARM "

Comment

• Zemo
                  Still Smokin'
                  • Feb 14, 2006

I really need to pick him up. I grew up right across the intercoastal from him, when he lived in Ft Lauderdale.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Aw yeah! I have a wild Evel Knievel/Derry Daring collection. I have the 70s version of Evel, the Playing Mantis version (not my fave), and the Poof/Slinky version. The last version was a lot closer to the original, but has plastic parts and the gears were stripped after only a short time. I also have an original Dragster and the Poof/Slinky version, a Poof/Slinky version of the funny car, an original stunt/crash car, and a Derry Daring Cycle, Wheelie car and 4 different versions of the figure. I also have the Poof/Slinky version of Robbie Knievel.

Gosh...can you tell I'm a fan?
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 15, 2012

You aren't joking when you say you're a fan! I bought a couple of the Playing Mantis ones, too. Wasn't that impressed with them. I kept the one that had a white outfit. I was shocked that someone paid me $99 for the extra one.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎