Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever feel guilty about an extremely cheap purchase?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

Do you ever feel guilty about an extremely cheap purchase?

I had a pretty good weekend on the hunt. One was a vintage video game cartridge. I am a flea market vendor at one of the local places. Largest in New England. It was a purchase from another guy that deals in the same items I do. He was an outside dealer, sets up occasionally but not a permanent spot inside like I have. I've purchased from him before. Basically he does no research and if he doesn't recognize it, it must be crap. In short I pulled the rarest video game I've ever hit from his $2 bin. Sells between $125 and $150 loose on any given ebay day. It was kind of funny because while I was looking through his stuff he actually was testing me on my action figure knowledge. He had a bunch of 80's stuff like He-man and Sectaurs etc. Again no idea, no research just throw em on the table. One of my regular customers actually cleaned him out of those while I was there.

When I got inside I was telling my buddy about it. He was a former business partner of mine in a vintage toy store years back and also a vendor. He asked me jokingly if I felt guilty about "robbing" the guy as he stated. We've been friends for years and he knows I don't. He's built a six figure collection of items he specializes in for what he estimates cost him about 5 - 10% of it's value by buying and flipping.

I spend a lot of time educating myself on things and for me it has resulted in good money. The guy asked a price and I paid it. I did however think about it later and wondered if anyone does ever feel guilty about a purchase that was worth way more than what they paid. So what's your thoughts? Discuss freely.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

I only feel guilty about extremely expensive purchases. ;-)

I think the amount of times I've overpaid more that makes up for any deals I come across. Good for you for doing the research.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

It always comes down to one man's junk is another man's treasure in these cases. He was happy to get rid of it, you were happy to flip it, whoever buys it from you is happy to pay your price.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• megoat
        A Therefore Experience
        • Jun 10, 2003

The question of ethics is a little grey sometimes.

For instance, I buy a lot of stuff at estate sales. These sales are run by companies who are supposed to do their homework and price accordingly. It is not my job to tell them when they price something too low. I don't feel even a tinge of guilt buying something for WAY too cheap at one of these sales.

In fact, for the most part my philosophy is whenever anybody tags something IT'S ON THEM. If you refuse to research your items and put $2 on a $300 item IT'S YOUR LOSS. There are exceptions sometimes, depending on the seller but for the most part I work by this rule.

Now where it get tricky is when you make offers. If you go to somebody's house to check something out and you have to make an offer then ethically I believe you are obliged to be as fair as possible. This is where it gets grey. What is fair? There are a lot of variables involved sometimes----how easy will it be for you to sell, how much time will it take you sell it etc etc etc.

Only very rarely do I feel guilty.....

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

No I don't. It's not my job to educate someone on what they have or should be asking for said item.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• RickD
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 31, 2011

I would feel guilty only if someone asked me about the item and its worth and I lied to them to get a good deal.

But if someone puts a price on the item without doing their homework well then it is on them.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

I'm guessing it's not different than the people that find the rare paintings worth a bunch of money at a yard sale. I doubt they ever feel guilty.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by 80stoyman
                I would feel guilty only if someone asked me about the item and its worth and I lied to them to get a good deal.

But if someone puts a price on the item without doing their homework well then it is on them.
                I was about to post the exact same thing
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• megozilla13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 10, 2002

Years ago at a toy show I got 2 alter egos for $8. They were marked $10 but when I went to pay, the seller said she would give me a break since I was buying both. I've always felt guilty about that. If it was an anonymous ebay deal, I wouldn't have felt guilty.
                  mikej
                  WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by megozilla13
                    Years ago at a toy show I got 2 alter egos for $8. They were marked $10 but when I went to pay, the seller said she would give me a break since I was buying both. I've always felt guilty about that. If it was an anonymous ebay deal, I wouldn't have felt guilty.
                    mikej
                    Yea i would've felt bad then
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

I just have to ask, what game?

Comment

• megocrazy
                        Museum Trouble Maker
                        • Feb 18, 2007

Funny story on that note. I was approached by a lady a few weeks ago. She asked me about some prototypes she had, and actually brought some in to show me. She had a relative that passed away and left her some prototypes from lines made by Hasbro. No Joe but known lines. Not unusual with my proximity to the main plant, I've had several over the years. A rather well known dealer, that I was very familiar with, had done an appraisal for her and then based on his input she negotiated a price, and sold him some pieces. Those pieces are currently up for auction at 50 times more than the amount he stated they were worth. It doesn't surprise me, because most people in this area that have an interest in toys are familiar with this particular individual. In fact anyone on our local toy scene would need no more than one guess. It's been that long and that often, that it's almost common knowledge in most circles. I just wonder how long someone can pull this before it bites him back. Few in the toy field will deal with him already because of his rep, but this lady was completely unknowing. Too bad, she has a 2-up prototype of a figure I actually own that had some slight running changes. I would love to add it to my personal collection, but after hearing her story, I couldn't even bring myself to make her an offer. They're not worth anywhere near what is being asked for them, but they are worth more than what she got originally.

Originally posted by 80stoyman

Comment

• megocrazy
                          Museum Trouble Maker
                          • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                          I just have to ask, what game?
                          An original Nintendo game called "Zombie Nation". I knew it was good though I didn't realize it was really good until I got inside and checked it on my phone. I was really just buying titles I knew I didn't have on my wall. I thought it was in the $20-$40 range tops.

Comment

• VintageMike
                            Permanent Member
                            • Dec 16, 2004

Nope folks need to do their research and put some effort into what they are selling. Case in point, a few weeks ago on Ebay a Supergirl with a Catwoman head was listed. Just had the suit and original cape. One subpar picture as well. Won it for $36. Ordered the necessary parts from Doc to restore it, took some plenty of nice pictures and flipped it for $75. Yes I was honest about all the repro parts for anyone wondering!
                            Same guy had a Batman/Falcon combo and the Batman had the original emblem and nylon shorts. Neither was noted in the auction. Needless to say I made out on that one too.

Comment

• warlock664
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by toys2cool
                              Yea i would've felt bad then
                              I would've felt bad that I was only getting 2 of the 4 Alter Egos!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎