Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ladyrixx
    • Jan 4, 2008

Dumb head question

I've got a couple custom heads; both made of resin. I can't figure out how to get them on my bodies! If they were squishy like the original ones I could just squish it onto the body.

I've seen diagrams of the different neck attachments, and how to restring a body, but I need a "How to get the head onto the body" tutorial.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Does the head have any sort of a plug?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

I have had a couple of those hard non squishy heads. They need to be whittled down so the are just barely larger than the opening. OR you can pry open the upper seam in the torso a little.

Comment

• Ladyrixx
        • Jan 4, 2008

Type 2 repro body, one has a mushroom plug, the other a plug-type.

Comment

• Ladyrixx
          • Jan 4, 2008

There's a difference in repro bodies? *dumb n00bie*

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Sand down the neckplug till it's barely bigger than the neckhole in the body. Take an original T2 body and force the neckplug into the hole
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

With Doc's bodies, I will do both, dremel the neck hole on the body a little bigger so it's more mego sized, and dremel the resin neck plug down to, as Thomas said, just a little bigger than the hole on the body. You want it to mushroom a little, or it will slip right off. The key is to make sure the mushroom part is just a touch bigger than the neck hole.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                Career Member
                • May 14, 2007

I've ordered, built and sold several 100 custom Doc Mego bodies. I never trim down the neck plug, nor dremel the neck hole bigger on Doc Mego bodies. Either of those procedures will make the head "rattle" or always loose in the torso. It will never be tight. Also forcing the head plug (even trimmed alittle) will "mushroom the edge of the plug. This "mushrooming" of the edge will weaken the holding power of the neck plug. The best way I've found is to use a heat gun on the neck hole. Warm it up and pop the head in place. Takes about 10-15 seconds. A hairdryer doesn't get hot enough.

Bob

Comment

• Ladyrixx
                  • Jan 4, 2008

Originally posted by ThatBatmanGuy
                  The best way I've found is to use a heat gun on the neck hole. Warm it up and pop the head in place. Takes about 10-15 seconds. A hairdryer doesn't get hot enough.

Bob
                  *smacks forehead* Why didn't I think of that? That's how I fix the bent parts of my resin kits. Thanks!

(I think I'll try the other brand of bodies from now on though)

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

I've ordered, built and sold several 100 custom Doc Mego bodies. I never trim down the neck plug, nor dremel the neck hole bigger on Doc Mego bodies. Either of those procedures will make the head "rattle" or always loose in the torso. It will never be tight. Also forcing the head plug (even trimmed alittle) will "mushroom the edge of the plug. This "mushrooming" of the edge will weaken the holding power of the neck plug.
                    Everyone has his way of doing this of course, but I've never had any problems with mushrooming the head. The heads don't rattle and they're not loose. If yours are loose it's because you trimmed the plug down too much.
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Dave Mc
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 20, 2002

Originally posted by Meule
                      Everyone has his way of doing this of course, but I've never had any problems with mushrooming the head. The heads don't rattle and they're not loose. If yours are loose it's because you trimmed the plug down too much.
                      Same here, I've never had this problem at all, has worked great every time.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I got a number six head from Palitoy a LONG time ago that had the neck plug whittled down to four small protrusions, and it fit really well into an original Mego body. So I do that now with most of my heads. A Doc Mego body has no give though, so you CAN'T just force the head in. For hardcases like that I file off the protrubrances on the neck, so I have just a shaft that fits into the neck hole. Then I screw in an eyebolt and tie the head down. Sometimes I'll restring the figure, like a T1 Mego bod.

Don C.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                          Career Member
                          • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Meule
                          And that's the point I was trying to make. It's extremely easy to trim too much on the head plug or Doc Mego torso. Once you've done that, you gone too far. When some of these custom heads cost as much as $15-$20 a pop, you can't afford those type of mistakes.

Bob

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

And that's the point I was trying to make. It's extremely easy to trim too much on the head plug or Doc Mego torso. Once you've done that, you gone too far. When some of these custom heads cost as much as $15-$20 a pop, you can't afford those type of mistakes.

Bob
                            If this happens, wrap some tape around the plug and it'll fit just fine again.
                            But yeah, you have to be careful. It takes a lot of fitting and resanding to get it right. But to me, it's worth it

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                              MeGoing
                              • May 14, 2003

After much frustration with this a couple of times, Polyester suggested I use a hair dryer, very carefully as the plastic heats up very quickly when you hold the hair dryer close, and it has worked like a dream for me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎