Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Mego's 3.75 inch figures were all around better toys than Kenner's SW figures

I'm a sucker for 3.75" o-ring action figures. Granted, Micronauts were imported Microman toys- but even the original Micronaut aliens outdoes any Kenner figure. I think the the reason Star Wars figures were huge sellers was because of the popularity of the movies. Even when you take the Micronauts out the game, the Black Hole and Buck Rogers figures were better designed figures than SW figures (despite the lack of weapons). I think the articulation really sells it for me. Even with Micro Aliens- how can you go wrong with glow-in-the-dark brains, interchangeable weapons, removable wings, etc. There's much more playability. Even the non o-ring 'Star Trek: the Motion Picture' figures gave were pretty impressive for the day, especially the aliens. People have speculated what Mego would've done with a Star Wars line. Most think Mego would've gone the 8" route- but imagine if they made Star Wars figures in the 3.75" format! With o-ring! With bendable arms and legs!
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Both had their good points.

3.75 inch is my favourite scale for figures, and Kenner, Mego and Mattel all made great figures at that scale.

I love both Kenner and Mego's 3.75 inch output.

And yes, it certainly would have been interesting to see what Mego would have done with the SW license, particularly whether they would have produced figures in the 3.75 inch scale.
    Last edited by Bruce Banner; Aug 1, '12, 4:24 AM.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• nazgul
      Lord of Light
      • May 2, 2011

I agree, they both had their good points.....Mego had the better articulation, but Kenner had such an expansive line and, like you said, the movie to back it up. The Micro Aliens are some of the best figures ever designed and my personal favorite 3 3/4 figures ever. But I think that it was Hasbro that built on what Mego started with articulation and then blew it out of the water with the G.I Joe line. Those really are some of the best designed 3 3/4 figures. They took what Mego and Kenner had going for them and created one of the best toylines of all time.
      You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Kenner had better paint apps, but that's about it, as far as the actual figures go.

I think if Mego had spent a bit more on the paint apps, it would have helped the figures immensely. There are some really great sculpts in the "pocket" lines.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
          Career Member
          • Jul 30, 2012

The best in the bunch were the Buck Rogers line. Followed by The Black Hole and CHiPs.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
            Career Member
            • Jul 30, 2012

Thinking EMCEE needs to get into the 3.75" game. Would love to see Battlestar Galactica figures done in this scale. Bring on Blue/Silver Spar Squadrons and those pesky cylon raiders!

Comment

• nazgul
              Lord of Light
              • May 2, 2011

The best in the bunch were the Buck Rogers line.
              Agreed (for the TV property lines).....I remember as a kid scouring the pegs for a Hawk figure...man, I wish they made him
              You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>The best in the bunch were the Buck Rogers line.

Y'know.... I hated the show as a kid, but loved the figures. Micronauts were my absolute favourites. Kinda cheating, since they were only half Mego but I still count them.

I didn't like the first run heroes though. The squatting thing bothered me as a kid. Bothered me with the MOTU guys as well a few years later.

Don C.

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Bionicfanboy66
                  The best in the bunch were the Buck Rogers line. Followed by The Black Hole and CHiPs.
                  I think the Buck Rogers line has the most diverse cast of characters with the exception that The Black Hole has many different robots. I never was into Chips but have seen some on eBay and they look pretty good.

Originally posted by Bionicfanboy66
                  Thinking EMCEE needs to get into the 3.75" game. Would love to see Battlestar Galactica figures done in this scale. Bring on Blue/Silver Spar Squadrons and those pesky cylon raiders!
                  I think they would've done better to move into this area rather than the 5 inch Build A Super Hero line but who knows? They may yet release something because competitors like Hasbro have shifted most of their stuff, including Marvel Universe Super Heros, to that scale.

For customs tho these guys are headed in the right direction. Only 1 style of figure with more planned. This would make a nice Hawk to go with Buck Rogers:

Last edited by johnmiic; Aug 12, '12, 4:29 PM.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

A few years ago I found some blank solid resin figures about 6" tall. I am surprised it took someone this long to figure out this would be an idea worth pursuing.

CCC.

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It's been done before:

Funny thing, the custom blanks are considered collector's items; making them WAY too expensive to use for customs any more.

Don C.

Comment

• LordMudd
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 22, 2011

It says Test Edition, which means it was not produced in sufficient numbers to fulfill the purpose for which it was created... or you could say they deliberately tanked it because they didn't want to do it in the first place.

CCC.

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

>you could say they deliberately tanked it because they didn't want to do it in the first place

I don't know if that's the case, or if they just didn't know what to do with the idea. Microman customs have been made since the 90's at least; and I could see Takara wanting to get in on the idea. The idea of blank figures is great; but I can see adjusting production volume being a trick since the market is small, but dedicated.

Don C.

Comment

• johnmiic
                            Adrift
                            • Sep 6, 2002

The Alpha Blank is $6.99 + shipping. Pretty affordable and if you're a skilled customizer you can make any character.

Comment

• The Sentry
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jun 3, 2007

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                              Both had their good points.

3.75 inch is my favourite scale for figures, and Kenner, Mego and Mattel all made great figures at that scale.

I love both Kenner and Mego's 3.75 inch output.

And yes, it certainly would have been interesting to see what Mego would have done with the SW license, particularly whether they would have produced figures in the 3.75 inch scale.
                              Battlestar Galactica Buck, Micronauts, & my Pocket Hulk were staples of my childhood play! Nothing beats 3.75 scale for me. It was always so hard to carry around larger scale figures when you're that little, so it was the perfect scale. Hence why I collect so much still on that sizing. I LOVE 8" Megos, but nothing beats 3.75 for me.
                              sigpic
                              http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                              [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎