X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THE FALCON
    Career Member
    • Jan 2, 2011

HELP! How does one remove mold?

Going through some boxes I had in storage I found some with water damage. One specific box had my Playmates 9" Star Trek figures. 18 of them. 17 had tiny black balls outside and inside the package. Most of the figures have black mold on the uniforms and their heads and bodies. My heart sank when I saw the damage. I removed all but one of the figures from their package and put them in plastic bags.

Can someone please tell me how to remove the mold from my figures and their clothing? I'd like to do so without destroying the Star Trek logos on their chest or the ranks on their sleeves.
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

How about white vinegar? Applied with a Q tip?
    JediJaida

Comment

• THE FALCON
      Career Member
      • Jan 2, 2011

I will try anything.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

happened to some toys i had..dish soap and water worked for me
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

It's not as clear cut.
          Same thing happened to me two years ago. Toys in storage that got moldy in storage. Mold on packaging is very hard to kill. I had to use alcohol (hey, everything goes better with alcohol!), and dab it gently on the boxes. Don't rub!
          As for costumes on figures: some fabrics had handle dish soap and a tiny dash of bleach. The bleach is the only thing that will kill the germs 100% sure.
          Be careful with figures like Big Jim. The mold penetrates the rubber and plastic. Sometimes, like my Big Jim collection, I had to say "it's dead, Jim". They looked like Moss Man.

Mold is a terrible thing to happen to your stuff. In the end, my insurance covered some of it. Some items that I treated, had the mold return months later. Keep your stuff as dry as possible now. Get it in a warm and bone dry environment and keep it there so the mold dries out and dies off.

Most of my book collection in storage was a write off.
          On a related topic: anybody know if "foxing" (the brown spots) on book pages is something that keeps spreading? Or is "contagious" (infecting other books)?
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• THE FALCON
            Career Member
            • Jan 2, 2011

playmates.jpg
            Sad.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

I think your ST Playmates could handle a gentle wash, but I don't want to get your hopes up and then get disappointed.
              I know I was.
              I think about 20% of my collection was destroyed.
              Good luck, man, I do share your pain.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎