• Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Vinyl Cap'n Crunch and Tony the Tiger

art toys spoofery from Ron English.

more to come it seems...

continuing from the success of the Super Size Me documentary tie in figure of Ronald.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

I know some folks may find this amusing, but I have fond memories of the classic cereal mascots, and this is NOT the way I wanna remember them. And gee...back in the day when kids were actually allowed to go out and play and exercise, and not veg in front of video games, and texting and all, we didn't have a country full of pudgy, diabetic kids. *Now get off my lawn....dang it!*
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 20, 2008

Cool, I like to see artists raising these important issues in humorous ways like this. This is actually a really critical issue and nutrition-less foods have become more common in today's diet, hence why it's more an issue today than when we were kids.

Anyway, cool stuff, thanks for posting!

Sean

Comment

• Zemo
        Still Smokin'
        • Feb 14, 2006

I know some folks may find this amusing, but I have fond memories of the classic cereal mascots, and this is NOT the way I wanna remember them. And gee...back in the day when kids were actually allowed to go out and play and exercise, and not veg in front of video games, and texting and all, we didn't have a country full of pudgy, diabetic kids. *Now get off my lawn....dang it!*
        I agree.

Comment

• Zemo
          Still Smokin'
          • Feb 14, 2006

It's the same crap that's been around forever. Kids today are lazy and don't exercise. The only thing that got me indoors was Dinner.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 20, 2008

Actually no. Food today is processed with much more sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and other ingredients that aren't nutritious but are fattening. This is just fact if you do a bit of research on nutrition (I'm around scientists all day so I know this stuff). Today's processed foods are less healthy but more a part of our diets than even 30 years ago, which accounts for the large increases in obesity today.

From the American Psychological Association:
            The rates of obesity in America’s children and youth have almost tripled in the last quarter century. Approximately 20% of our youth are now overweight with obesity rates in preschool age children increasing at alarming speed. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the prevalence of obesity has more than doubled among children ages 2 to 5 (5.0% to 12.4%) and ages 6 to 11 (6.5% to 17.0%). In teens ages 12 to 19, prevalence rates have tripled (5.0% to 17.6%). Obesity in childhood places children and youth at risk for becoming obese as adults and associated poor health such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some forms of cancer. Prevention efforts must focus on reducing excess weight gain as children grow up.

Today’s children, ages 8 to 18, consume multiple types of media (often simultaneously) and spend more time (44.5 hours per week) in front of computer, television, and game screens than any other activity in their lives except sleeping. Research has found strong associations between increases in advertising for non-nutritious foods and rates of childhood obesity. Most children under age 6 cannot distinguish between programming and advertising and children under age 8 do not understand the persuasive intent of advertising. Advertising directed at children this young is by its very nature exploitative.

From diet researchers at UCSF:
            Yes, more Americans are overweight today than 30 years ago. Kids are still getting heavier, compared with prior generations of kids. That leads some UCSF researchers to warn that heart disease and other health problems will grow in future decades.

But behaviors that some might refer to as gluttony and sloth are merely consequences of the true cause of the epidemic, Lustig says. Food was just as abundant before obesity’s ascendance. The problem is the increase in sugar consumption. Sugar both drives fat storage and makes the brain think it is hungry, setting up a “vicious cycle,” according to Lustig.

More specifically, it is fructose that is harmful, according to Lustig. Fructose is a component of the two most popular sugars. One is table sugar — sucrose. The other is high-fructose corn syrup. High-fructose corn syrup has become ubiquitous in soft drinks and many other processed foods.

Being a fan of artists like Banksy, etc, I find this form of protest/political/social commentary very cool, because it is actually desperately needed and important.

Sean

Comment

• Zemo
              Still Smokin'
              • Feb 14, 2006

Today’s children, ages 8 to 18, consume multiple types of media (often simultaneously) and spend more time (44.5 hours per week) in front of computer, television, and game screens than any other activity in their lives except sleeping.
              Exactly why their overweight.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 20, 2008

Originally posted by Zemo
                Exactly why their overweight.
                No. Read the full quotes above and research the facts a bit before forming opinion, you'll find that the FOOD itself is actually a bigger problem. Again, "research has found strong associations between increases in advertising for non-nutritious foods and rates of childhood obesity" and "Food was just as abundant before obesity’s ascendance. The problem is the increase in sugar consumption."

Sean

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

High Fructose Corn Syrup's over usage is a huge contributor in obesity period. It's not just children.

It's never as simple as "kids don't run around anymore". My neighbourhood is riddled with kids playing outside at all hours.

I'd also say my own children watch as much TV and play as much video games as I did as a kid, we had those too.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 20, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                    High Fructose Corn Syrup's over usage is a huge contributor in obesity period. It's not just children.

It's never as simple as "kids don't run around anymore". My neighbourhood is riddled with kids playing outside at all hours.

I'd also say my own children watch as much TV and play as much video games as I did as a kid, we had those too.
                    Exactly.

Sean

Comment

• Zemo
                      Still Smokin'
                      • Feb 14, 2006

I don't need to do any research to know if you don't exercise you gain weight and end up in poor health. A bowl of Captain Crunch a day is not going to cause obesity, if you do something other than sit down all day.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 20, 2008

Originally posted by Zemo
                        I don't need to do any research to know if you don't exercise you gain weight and end up in poor health. A bowl of Captain Crunch a day is not going to cause obesity, if you do something other than sit down all day.
                        Read these facts:
                        According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the prevalence of obesity has more than doubled among children ages 2 to 5 (5.0% to 12.4%) and ages 6 to 11 (6.5% to 17.0%).

So tell me, what pre-school kids are on the computer all day? None. So why are they getting so fat? Their obesity rates are climbing rapidly. You say that's because they don't exercise and sit behind a computer all day. Sorry, but you're wrong. It's due to the food they are eating.

Yeah, people need to exercise. No one denied that. HOWEVER, the FOOD itself is the main problem, as EVIDENCED by the facts. Why you are denying proven science I'm not sure, but feel free to believe your own personal opinions. Me, I'll believe what is proven to be true.

And again:

Food today is processed with much more sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and other ingredients that aren't nutritious but are fattening. This is just fact if you do a bit of research on nutrition (I'm around scientists all day so I know this stuff). Today's processed foods are less healthy but more a part of our diets than even 30 years ago, which accounts for the large increases in obesity today.

From the American Psychological Association:
                        The rates of obesity in America’s children and youth have almost tripled in the last quarter century. Approximately 20% of our youth are now overweight with obesity rates in preschool age children increasing at alarming speed. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the prevalence of obesity has more than doubled among children ages 2 to 5 (5.0% to 12.4%) and ages 6 to 11 (6.5% to 17.0%). In teens ages 12 to 19, prevalence rates have tripled (5.0% to 17.6%). Obesity in childhood places children and youth at risk for becoming obese as adults and associated poor health such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some forms of cancer. Prevention efforts must focus on reducing excess weight gain as children grow up.

Today’s children, ages 8 to 18, consume multiple types of media (often simultaneously) and spend more time (44.5 hours per week) in front of computer, television, and game screens than any other activity in their lives except sleeping. Research has found strong associations between increases in advertising for non-nutritious foods and rates of childhood obesity. Most children under age 6 cannot distinguish between programming and advertising and children under age 8 do not understand the persuasive intent of advertising. Advertising directed at children this young is by its very nature exploitative.

From diet researchers at UCSF:
                        Yes, more Americans are overweight today than 30 years ago. Kids are still getting heavier, compared with prior generations of kids. That leads some UCSF researchers to warn that heart disease and other health problems will grow in future decades.

But behaviors that some might refer to as gluttony and sloth are merely consequences of the true cause of the epidemic, Lustig says. Food was just as abundant before obesity’s ascendance. The problem is the increase in sugar consumption. Sugar both drives fat storage and makes the brain think it is hungry, setting up a “vicious cycle,” according to Lustig.

More specifically, it is fructose that is harmful, according to Lustig. Fructose is a component of the two most popular sugars. One is table sugar — sucrose. The other is high-fructose corn syrup. High-fructose corn syrup has become ubiquitous in soft drinks and many other processed foods.

Being a fan of artists like Banksy, etc, I find this form of protest/political/social commentary very cool, because it is actually desperately needed and important.

Sean

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎