X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Mini-Comics?

In Target the other day, I noticed the LEGO Marvel Superheroes set (basically an Avengers set) which advertized that it came "with an exclusive comic book." This got me thinking about how much I used to enjoy reading and rereading the mini-comics both for Masters of the Universe and Super Powers, and I wonder if anyone up here can help identify the first toyline to include this sort of thing? After the He-Man boom, many lines featured them, but who was first? I know Gabriel used to include little booklets with the Lone Rangers line, but does anything predate that?
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

There were insert comics taped to or put into boxes of cereal in the 1940s, like Gene Autry, Disney, Bugs Bunny, even The Flash & Captain Marvel.
    March of Comics was a line of 1/2 size promo books given away at shoe stores & dept stores, the line featured just about every licensed character at some point, and numbers well into the 1000s.
    Captain Action had a comic insert/catalog, and so did GI Joe I believe.
    Ideal put the full-size Evel Knievel comic book into the toys.
    I'm pretty sure one of the first modern toys to insert the comics was the ATARI FORCE series for the Atari 2600.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎