X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den82
    Career Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

1979 Kenner Alien

Damn, I want one. He has really shot up in price since the release of Prometheus huh?
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Do you think so? After lusting after this toy for nearly 35 years, I've decided that this is the year I will own a MIB (box doesn't have to be mint) one. I've been researching ebay prices, and it seems to be in around the same price range that it's been in for quite some time. I'm expecting I'll probably have to pay around $500 more or less.

Comment

• Den82
      Career Member
      • Jan 17, 2011

Think this is too much?

Dome is cracked. I don't see the poster either.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Doesn't look like there's an insert in that box either, but the box doesn't look too bad for the price.

I've had several over these over the years, just down to one now and it's a great piece!
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Managed to keep hold of the box to mine since getting the figure on clearance sale around 1980, but lost the insert some time over the last 30 or so years.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

The cracked and glued dome and missing insert sour the deal for me. If I'm going to be spending that much money, I'd rather pay a couple hundred more to have something in nicer condition.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
              Managed to keep hold of the box to mine since getting the figure on clearance sale around 1980, but lost the insert some time over the last 30 or so years.
              I remember seeing these on clearance for $9.99 in a Zellers flyer. I begged my mom to take me to the store so I could buy one, but she just said that I was too old to be spending money on toys (I was around 13). I've made sure to never let her forget that story, and to keep her posted on current selling prices of this toy.

Comment

• Splitty
                Career Member
                • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by cjefferys
                I remember seeing these on clearance for $9.99 in a Zellers flyer. I begged my mom to take me to the store so I could buy one, but she just said that I was too old to be spending money on toys (I was around 13). I've made sure to never let her forget that story, and to keep her posted on current selling prices of this toy.
                hee hee. I say revenge is a dish served best with desert.
                I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

There was an endcap full of these at one of the five and dimes we frequented when I was a kid. Not sure, but I think it was a Piggly Wiggly. I begged to be able to purchase one, but my sister claimed that I would use it to sneak into her room and scare her with at night, so it was a no go for me. I have mentioned modern selling prices on these to her several times over the years. Besides, what use is a scary alien toy if you don't spook your sister with it on occasion.

It is mildly amusing that when she visited my old place in TX, the Alien was displayed in the guest room where she slept.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a endcap full of them at K-mart. I wanted one really bad, that and the Alien movie viewer that Kenner also made. It's funny, Alien was an R-rated movie that I didn't have a chance of seeing (in Canada, an R rating means no one under 18 admitted, no exceptions) but I was still a huge fan. The only merchandise I managed to get back then were the MPC model kit, the novelization by Alan Dean Foster and a couple magazines. Yep, I was too young to see the movie, so I had to make do with reading the book version and looking at magazine pictures.

Comment

• nazgul
                      Lord of Light
                      • May 2, 2011

I remember wanting one of these in the worst way when I was a kid, but mom said no way, that it'll give me nightmares....but I tried to explain to her that it didn't matter because it was ALREADY giving me nightmares!
                      You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

My first encounter with Alien

Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 26, '12, 10:44 PM.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

My first encounter with the Alien was at my friends 10th birthday party. His pop was a major videophile and tech freak and he had a ginormous video cassette deck. Not sure if it was beta or a 3/4" tape deck, but I do remember it was a top loader and took up most of the space on top of their massive wood console tv.

I am not sure our parents were asked about this movie or not, but after the cake and presents and such, we all plopped down in front of the tube and were presented with a bootleg copy of Alien. I seem to recall the dad hustling it past the chest-burster scene; but we were left with the rest of the spooky chase and that glorious reveal at the end. Heckofa birthday party.

Comment

• captact
                            King of Super Queens!
                            • Aug 19, 2007

Dont worry guys....If you buy one missing the poster/instructions, I sell copies (both sides) for 5.00 each.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Zellers is where I got mine.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎