PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Famous Covers

Brue
Jan 18, '08, 4:04 PM
I was just rearranging my CTVT and Famous Covers.

I set up Hawkeye and thought - WOW that is a great figure!

The rest of the ones I have range from ridiculous to pretty good.

My least favorite - I had, but sold - is Daredevil. Man is this thing BAD.

Trying not to have ties or lists - What are your picks?

palitoy
Jan 18, '08, 4:22 PM
Red Skull would probably be my favourite, I found most of them to be trainwrecks though.

Earth 2 Chris
Jan 18, '08, 5:02 PM
Red Skull would probably be my favourite, I found most of them to be trainwrecks though.

Red Skull would be my pick for best as well. Too bad he came far too late. I can't understand how this line looks as off as it does. The sculpting is there, but the facial choices are what really wrecks it. The head size was too small on most, but the screaming faces really ruin the whole line. And I've yet to figure out what kind of emotion the Peter Parker face is supposed to convey. It's almost as if Aunt May is trying to give him a spoonful of Castor Oil.

Chris

palitoy
Jan 18, '08, 5:08 PM
What I can't believe is the amazing ruckus these things caused when they first appeared. I seem to recall lengthy flame wars as to what was better. Now it feels like almost no one collects these any more.

kingdom warrior
Jan 18, '08, 5:40 PM
I have a Love hate for them...I liked the fact that Cloth figures were back but I thought the Sculpting on some of these were horrible....and dear God the women look like men.

Spiderman was Horrible and what were they thinking when they did the two pack Mr.Fantastic and Invisible Girl? No Thing and No Human Torch..I ended up changing the heads on both of them and making my own Human torch and Getting the Thing from another line to make my FF.

My Favs are Ironman,Hawkeye,Thor,The Vision,The Falcon.The Red Skull..Movie version Wolverine.....

thunderbolt
Jan 18, '08, 6:12 PM
Red Skull and Hulk are my faves, worst was most if not all the rest.

MIB41
Jan 18, '08, 6:19 PM
I agree. I think Hawkeye is probably one of the most interchangable with other action figure lines. He looks like he would fit in perfect with the current Hasbro line up. There isn't much more that can claim that. Red Skull comes pretty close but the rest are marginal at best.

The worst of that lot can be something of a contest as well. I personally hate the Hulk. He looks like a pre-school doll with the baby face, ill-fitting pants, and misproportioned hands and waist line. The next would have to be the Green Goblin. Terrible facial expression and his setup in the box begs to ask the question, "What were they thinking?" The Wolverine figure (both variations) are just not up to snuff either.

Figures that had potential ( in no particular order) are the Vision (almost got it but the head was too small), Dr. Doom (overworked on the rubber appliances) and the Falcon. I like the head sculpt but it was seated on this body with a mega huge chest, which just isn't him. The same with Cap and Thor.

BlackKnight
Jan 18, '08, 10:07 PM
Hulk, Thor, Captain America & IronMan are my Fav's. Particularly the Thor. Worst,.. All the chicks. They had such angry faces, & Looked like possesed demons or Death Witches. I couldn't stand them. :yuk:

Brue
Jan 18, '08, 11:18 PM
You would think that after seeing the mego oven mits that FC would have bypassed that phase. Yet the earlier figures have those monster sized glove hands that look ridicoulous and like mego changed to cuffs and colored hands.

The Toyroom
Jan 18, '08, 11:45 PM
I've only got Scarlet Witch (bleech!), Dark Phoenix (ennnh), Hawkeye and Vision (my favorite)....these never excited me really.

starsky
Jan 18, '08, 11:49 PM
i got so excited over them thinking that megos had in a way come back but was disappointed at the sculpts. i think the best ones would be iron man, hawkeye, redskull, and thor.

toys2cool
Jan 19, '08, 12:03 AM
Yeah the Red skull is pretty bad and so is the Thor :grin:

DocDrako
Jan 19, '08, 4:17 AM
I liked Thor the best, and The Hulk was cool too. Oddly enough, I even liked Aunt May just because she was freakishly scary. I thought Daredevil was cool except for his incorrect logo. Hawkeye was really cool.

I hated the Spider-Man because his mask was lame and his face was pretty stupid. Doom's rubber armor bothered me.

I got rid of all of them except for Aunt May. Her head was transplanted onto a Mego female T1 body (thanks Benjamin Holcomb for the education on Mego female body types) because I just couldn't part with her. I love me some Famous Covers Aunt May.

:crazy:

garagesale
Jan 19, '08, 6:19 AM
the worst: tossup between Aunt May and Spiderwoman

the best: Green Goblin

thunderbolt
Jan 19, '08, 6:34 AM
as far as custom fodder goes, I like the hulk/sabretooth body and the psylocke/spider-girl bodies with regular feet and the smooth knee joint. Both the other type male bodies are horrid.

The Bat
Jan 19, '08, 8:53 AM
Best:

Magnito's Head:smiley1:
Doom
Dark Pheonix
Blackwidow
Rouge
Hugh Jackman Wolverine
Redskull
Sabertooth
Mr.Sinister
Nightcrawler

Goblin19
Jan 19, '08, 10:59 AM
I like Red Skull the best. Dr. Doom, Carnage, and Vision would follow. I think Aunt May has to be the worst.

Mego Milk
Jan 20, '08, 2:35 AM
Vision, Hawkeye and Nightcrawler are cool. I converted them to mego size.
Electro's mask was cool too.
I also like Hulk, Carnage and Sabretooth.

raider5gt
Jan 20, '08, 9:40 AM
I only got Dr Doom,he is the only 1 i wanted, its ok just a bit rubbery lol

spamn
Jan 20, '08, 10:15 AM
I think my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll say them anyway. Though I got used to them, I really hated the open-mouth shouting face and too-skinny head ones. So my favorites - with one or two notable exceptions - are the ones that have better proportioned close-mouthed sculpts:

Sabretooth
Carnage
Hulk
Iron Man
Storm
Nightcrawler

huedell
Jan 22, '08, 10:57 AM
What I can't believe is the amazing ruckus these things caused when they first appeared. I seem to recall lengthy flame wars as to what was better. Now it feels like almost no one collects these any more.

Its the "mass produced" parallel to Flatt's customs effect on
superhero doll collectors....once multiple simillar options for collectors
started appearing, interest died down considerably (in both cases)

(P.S. GREEN GOBLIN, ELECTRO, INVISIBLE WOMAN, IRON MAN
and HULK were my favorite FCs)

huedell
Jan 22, '08, 11:01 AM
Later, I got an Aunt May and moved her head and clothes to a Mego body.

Got a pic of that Ant?
If that worked well (proportionally)---it'd probably be a killer Megoesque custom
(that I'd love to own)
The head sculpt wasn't too outrageously "non-Mego" if I remember right.

chalwa
Jan 22, '08, 3:32 PM
The difference of opinion is pretty amazing on these.
Some hate Hulk, others love him. Same with Aunt May and Thor.
I only got Daredevil and Cap for the outfit and accessories.
Don't like them overall and probably will only get 'em for customizing.

bestest

MIB41
Jan 22, '08, 5:22 PM
I think Chalwa makes a good point. There appears to be a love/hate relationship with this line. For myself, it was the closest thing to Mego's I had seen at that point, so I reluctantly bought up most of them for that reason. As far as ever embracing the line, I have not. My resentment has only grown through the years because the potential was there to make a great line and corners were cut in painfully obvious ways. From every aspect the makers did not feel there was a standard to live up to. From disproportionate body parts to over-sized outfits, gloves, and foot wear, the line embodied a decidedly low regard for the intelligence of the buyer whether it be a child or the collector. So many were made, yet most of us can not name more than a few characters that were considered even note worthy...that's pretty bad.

Randy
Jan 23, '08, 1:14 PM
My two faves were / are:
Green Gobiln - Almost Perfect!
Black Widow - Well, becuase she looks like my wife, lol
DOH!

Type3Toys
Jan 23, '08, 6:41 PM
I really thought the Spidey/Electro set was pretty nice. I actually thought the Spidey was one of the best figures they did. I also like the Falcon and the Goblin.

megozilla13
Jan 23, '08, 10:32 PM
I really liked them when they came out, I bought them all, even the ones I thought were terrible. Ironman and Hulk were the best ones, I thought.

I recently gave the whole collection to my nephews, 6 year old twins, thinking they would love playing with them. When I went to their house I saw they had saved all the boxes and had the figures displayed in the front of the boxes around their room, just like they have seen the mego figures displayed in my collection. I had to tell them they were for playing. Last time I was over Vision was wearing Hulks pants so I think they got the idea.

mikej

megocrazy
Jan 24, '08, 10:46 AM
I think Ironman was good, as well as Red Skull, Sabretooth, Carnage, and Green Goblin. I wasn't as impressed with Hawkeye as most seem to be and he is one of my more liked comic characters. Didn't like the undersized head or the expression. Cap and Dardevil for the same reason.

Brue
Jan 24, '08, 11:54 AM
I really liked them when they came out, I bought them all, even the ones I thought were terrible. Ironman and Hulk were the best ones, I thought.

I recently gave the whole collection to my nephews, 6 year old twins, thinking they would love playing with them. When I went to their house I saw they had saved all the boxes and had the figures displayed in the front of the boxes around their room, just like they have seen the mego figures displayed in my collection. I had to tell them they were for playing. Last time I was over Vision was wearing Hulks pants so I think they got the idea.

mikej

This is what makes toys the collectibles of the future.
It never is the things collector's think are collectibles.
I mean how many of you bought Wondergirl in 1978 thinking - WOW I'll make a mint or be the pride of my Mego community iin the future?

huedell
Jan 24, '08, 12:04 PM
mean how many of you bought Wondergirl in 1978 thinking - WOW I'll make a
mint or be the pride of my Mego community iin the future?

Not many COULD have thought of that...cause not many HAD it as a kid.

The Wonder Girl figure was such a failure saleswise (along with alot of
the later MEGO figures) that it was a very short run for her---
and that is why Wonder Girl is a rare and expensive figure today

But I guess your point applies to the cheapies like Superman and Spidey as well---
and, there you'd have your point made somewhat---although you can still grab
those for relatively cheap prices

Brue
Jan 24, '08, 12:21 PM
Not many COULD have thought of that...cause not many HAD it as a kid.

The Wonder Girl figure was such a failure saleswise (along with alot of
the later MEGO figures) that it was a very short run for her---
and that is why Wonder Girl is a rare and expensive figure today

But I guess your point applies to the cheapies like Superman and Spidey as well---
and, there you'd have your point made somewhat---although you can still grab
those for relatively cheap prices

Yep - you are definitely right abiout WG - but I guess the amount of people that played with the common figures is what has driven interest in the line so the less common figures and pintact packaging - shoots up in collectablity.

huedell
Jan 24, '08, 12:43 PM
Yep - you are definitely right abiout WG - but I guess the amount of people that played with the common figures is what has driven interest in the line so the less common figures and pintact packaging - shoots up in collectablity.

Surely...just being a little nitpicky there early in the morn' ;)

kresge1
Jan 24, '08, 12:44 PM
Iron Man and Hulk were far and away the best ones

BlackKnight
Jan 24, '08, 7:47 PM
I didn't even know they made a Wondergirl when I was 5. Thats when I had the 7 I had. Those were the only ones I knew that were made. Can't say I would have convinced My Mom to buy her for me in the store, If I had scene her either. :grin:

BlackKnight
Jan 24, '08, 7:54 PM
This is what makes toys the collectibles of the future.
It never is the things collector's think are collectibles.
I mean how many of you bought Wondergirl in 1978 thinking - WOW I'll make a mint or be the pride of my Mego community iin the future?

Thats like the Penguin in the BTAS ... I saw these in toy bins at KB all day long for 2bucks, & No one was buying. Now it's one of the more valued figures in the line. I wonder where all those 2 buck figures went. Someones probably sitting on a stash somewhere. :googly:
Shurley this figure is not worth as much as the Wondergirl, but it was something I could relate the theroy with.

MIB41
Jan 25, '08, 4:31 PM
Does this mean I need to box up my Famous Covers and see what the market will bring in 20 years? Without question I think they'll increase in value over time...but it will take some time.

Brue
Jan 25, '08, 4:53 PM
Does this mean I need to box up my Famous Covers and see what the market will bring in 20 years? Without question I think they'll increase in value over time...but it will take some time.

I don't know that they were played with enough by kids to make them nostagic in the future. Of course the whole point is that no one knows what will be valuable in the future.

I see no point in WWF ?WWE lines but I know plenty of kids who have played with those things.
- An extra problem ANY new toy lines have are multiple collectors buying and keeping the amount of MIB stuff readily available so I don't think thre will be much demand ever. -SuperPowers are old enough that they should have caught the nostagia maket by now but with a few exceptions they are cheap.

Stick to Blue Chips like Barbie and GI Joe that conntinue to have a market.
Just this year my niece wanted the WW barbie (the cheap one). In nov and dec they were going for $25 - $40 (incl. ship) - a year earlier they were being blown out of TrU for $8.
I just bought one for $18 for my niece :)

MIB41
Jan 25, '08, 5:36 PM
Well said Brue. Hmmmm. Where is that misplaced bottlerocket and my Famous Covers Ironman? I see a good times ahead. :smile:

Marvelmania
Jan 26, '08, 12:56 AM
When the FCs came out I had the "collect 'em all" mind set and what a waste of money that was. I still have them packed away somewhere. The only ones I really liked were The Red Skull, Ironman and Wolverine (yellow and blue). All the rest I was disappointed in.

Thadiun Okona II
Feb 3, '08, 1:20 AM
I bought 'em all, but Hulk & Red Skull are my faves. I regret not picking up the WCW Wrestling figures made by Toybiz using the FC bodies. (They woulda made great custom fodder....)

MegoGeek
Feb 3, '08, 2:08 PM
Best: Iron Man

Worst: Everything that wasn't Iron Man

Worstestest: Hulk

BlackKnight
Feb 3, '08, 5:47 PM
Think about when you see these on Ebay today. There has been a serious decline in the MIB ones,.. most of the time, they are in battle ravaged Parts lots. Sure the after market has not affected these yet,... but I think soon it might. Just how many of the left in MIB's are left ? How many are going to be left in another 10 yrs , when the kids that collected these are grown-up & looking for thier child hood toys ?

Brue
Feb 3, '08, 6:41 PM
... How many are going to be left in another 10 yrs , when the kids that collected these are grown-up & looking for thier child hood toys ?

The question is - How many kids considered these thier toys?
A lot were bought by collectors.

As an elementary school teacher I can tell you therre were not a ton of kids playing with these. That is why I doubt they will ever catch the nostalgia market. I think that as the suplly decreases so will the demand therefore prices will remain what they are for a long time.

thunderbolt
Feb 3, '08, 9:10 PM
There won't be any mint Dr. Doom's left, it will be a melted mass of goo. THe "armor" is very unstable, my spare parts ones are melting away.

spiderrogue
Feb 3, '08, 9:56 PM
hey hey hey..they may be ugly, but they have their uses....which is why i do what i do...im a fellow 9" customizer...don't throw things at me...please.....
i have had them all at one point or another..for customs or collection(which i have gotten rid of most of them recently).....i like them all, but i don't, you know? they did get better with the newer signature series stuff from a year or so ago....and the dc9 was better.....

Delusional B
Feb 4, '08, 9:45 AM
I collected these, as well. They were close enough to Mego figures for me to overlook the problems. Now, like many, I have a bunch stored away in boxes somewhere. I kind of doubt that these will become collectible. Like others have said, they were never much of a "kid line" that lots of kids bought to play with. I could be wrong, though.

The thing is, with Famous Covers and most other toy lines over the past 15 years or so, they don't stick around on shelves long enough to really gain mass appeal with kids. These days, toy lines are all about "waves." If you miss a wave, you are kind of out of luck if the wave had a character you were interested in. When we were kids back in the seventies, the exact same toy shipped again and again and again to the stores. A kid buying a Mego Batman in 1974 bought essentially the same figure as a kid in 1979 buying a Mego Batman. This kind of mass saturation of the same toy over many years and many, many kids produced a kind of shared culture experience among countless kids that grew up having memories of the exact same toy. These days, very few figures are released and re-released over long-ish periods of time. Things like the Batman Animated series figures might be an exception to this as they seemed to keep the line alive for many years and did tend to release the same figures over and over...most often as repaints.

I think any toy lines that end up being collectible to "today's" kids are going to be lines that they REALLY play with and have fond memories of when they grow up. These toys will most likely not be the ones that we adult collectors tend to go deep with. I have a feeling that the early Power Ranger toys will end up being highly collectible (if they aren't already) since they were a line that most adult collectors turned their noses up at and kids bought them in droves and played and played and played with them. Also, I'm betting that Max Steel will be sought after in about 10 years or so. Kids played with them but it wasn't something adult collectors were buying and keeping MIB. In many ways, it was like the SMDM line of the 70's with bionics and cool vehicles. There was even a guy with a mask that came off exposing him as a robot!

BTW - my favorite FC are Iron Man, Captain America (despite the face), Spidey (it's got Parker underneath, unheard of!), and Hulk.

BlackKnight
Feb 4, '08, 1:02 PM
Would the line seriously have lasted that long if Kids were not buying them ? In my expirence with collectiong toys, unless kids do buy, or parents buy for thier kids ... lines are quickly phased out & they come to an end after a few waves. Famous Covers Lasted way too long for that.

Case in point, the Signature Series.

EMCE Hammer
Feb 4, '08, 2:05 PM
I think a reasonably good indicator of whether or not a toy was bought by/for kids is how many of said toy show up in yard sales, flea markets, and thrift stores after a few years. So far, I have not found a single FC or DC 9" at a yard sale or flea market. I have found maybe one or two FCs at the thrift stores, but they were still boxed and look to have been donated by Target after they went clearance and didn't sell.

Weren't the last real FCs the wrestlers? Before that there was the X-men animated stuff, and those were duds around here.

Delusional B
Feb 4, '08, 3:56 PM
Would the line seriously have lasted that long if Kids were not buying them ? In my expirence with collectiong toys, unless kids do buy, or parents buy for thier kids ... lines are quickly phased out & they come to an end after a few waves. Famous Covers Lasted way too long for that.

Case in point, the Signature Series.

Yeah, I guess the line did last for awhile. The point I was trying to make, though, is that each wave was only on shelves for a short time. If a kid missed the Spiderman wave, he was kind of out of luck a year or two down the line. It's not like Spiderman, Hulk, etc. were replenished at stores consistently throughout the life of the FC line. I guess the equivalent scenario during Mego's heyday would be along the lines of Superman, Batman, and Aquaman only being released in the first wave. All subsequent waves over the next several years would not include these three figures and kids would only have had that one chance at the beginning of the line to pick them up.

So, even if some kids were able to get their hands on a figure like the FC Spiderman, the majority were probably sold to collectors ( I certainly never saw droves of these at a time...maybe 3 copies of each character, at most). So, since the line probably didn't hit much of a mass saturation point with kids, they will most likely not be in the market for these in a few years as they reach adulthood.

I dunno. Just my 2 cents.

BlackKnight
Feb 4, '08, 4:12 PM
^^^ That makes sence. I was just kinda confused about the matter, given the shelf life of the Toy's that Kids don't buy & parents don't buy for thier kids. They are seriously off the shelves faster than the speed of light. & New waves are not introduced either.

spiderrogue
Feb 4, '08, 6:45 PM
i remember when the FC stuff came out at my comic shop..the first wave was way overpriced..like 20 bucks and up for them...green goblin, storm, spidey and wolvie....and man, they were ugly...who knew that i would be using them to custom...lol...
unfortunately, they are getting harder and harder to find these days..(on ebay or whatever)....so i have to step up and use some other types(the newly cancelled sign. series and the dc9 stuff)..both which are more superior to the old FC ones....but still hard to find....i think that most of the FC stuff was sold to grown ups(collectors)...mostly since that is all that you see selling them on ebay...."used for display by me, not played with..etc"..in the auctions all the time....

megowgsh
Feb 5, '08, 6:40 PM
Carnage and Red Skull were the best. Too bad they were the last of the line.

MIB41
Feb 5, '08, 7:30 PM
Well, I understand the theory but I think the same rules apply. There are countless figures and toy lines that no kid lined up for in decades past, yet those are now desired. I think any superhero line has the potential to be collectable simply because of it's genre. Plus there will always be pics and maybe it will strike a note with future generations. That's where these forgotten toy lines often find their market. It could be interesting. Maybe we should preserve this thread!! We can all revisit it 20 years from now. :grin:

Gorn Captain
Mar 13, '08, 12:11 PM
Well, they were definitely hit and miss. I really like Iron Man, and since I'm still hunting for an affordable Mego Iron Man, this one remains the favorite. Same for Hawkeye, Sabretooth, Storm, Magneto. I loathe the face sculpts on Rogue and Psylocke, jeez, they sure are ugly and not at all like their comic counterparts.
I just need the two-packs, and then I have all of them. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Maybe I'm not that picky, but they are fine by me. What can I say? I just appreciate the effort to bring back the concept that Mego started. Warts and all...

megojim
Mar 15, '08, 5:52 PM
I liked the Green Goblin alot . . . . Hulk was also done well.
Iron Man while a little bulky and in-rticulate is always awinner.

wayne foundation 07
Mar 15, '08, 5:58 PM
I think they did an excellant job on Sabertooth,he's my fav.Captain America even though he has good gloves,his star is way to big and his mouth,its like he's trying to pass gas or something,kinda wierd looking I always thought.

spaceace35
Mar 17, '08, 1:29 PM
i picked up magneto and black widow for $5 each at the boston comic show

megocrazy
Mar 21, '08, 12:21 PM
i picked up magneto and black widow for $5 each at the boston comic show

Which Boston show?? Were there any Mego items there?? Always like to keep track of what's showing up at the shows to see if it's worth going. I may actually go to the next Dedham show just to see what's there.

spaceace35
Mar 21, '08, 3:29 PM
Which Boston show?? Were there any Mego items there?? Always like to keep track of what's showing up at the shows to see if it's worth going. I may actually go to the next Dedham show just to see what's there.

mostly comics and some action figures.nothing much in the way of megos
ken kelly was there thats why i went.no mego museum cards either

trying to decide between the dedham show and the north attleboro show.sucks they are on the same day
we must be near each other i'm in franklin