X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Exhausted/Recharged

So as I sit in my office trying to get my head back into the game, I reflect upon yet another great weekend and the odd feeling of being totally exhausted yet in another way refreshed and recharged.

A few kudos:

Ed/Samurainoir for riding shotgun and keeping my mind occupied on the most boringest drive ever. On Saturday night Ed and I were positively punch drunk, yet we kept it together.

Ron for providing me with the best laugh of the weekend. Both Ron and Paul Clare make it impossible for me to leave the megosuite at a decent hour/sober. Not cause they held me down or anything, it's more of a "twist my rubber arm" sort of deal.

Berto and Tom for being their usual awesome selves, Tom gifted me with very neccesary gatorade on Saturday and I never even thanked him.

Steve/Emcee Hammer for holding so much together despite having personal engagements, without Steve I would have sat behind an empty table. He saved my bacon on several levels and at the end of the day gifted me with stuff.

Paul @ Laser Mego for helping me out in a major way with his awesome creations.

Brian Bossart gave me an amazing gift for my mom, I cannot wait to give it to her. It was great to see the Bossart clan in attendance, it made me want to bring along my brood.

Bill (Wee) and his lovely wife, who provide the most interesting, addictive conversations known.

Ray and Collette and their awesome family, seeing Collette's collection upstairs was a lot of fun and made up for getting trapped in the elevator. (has the museum always had that?)

It's always good to see and talk to Austin (feel better), Derek(s), Scott (Random axe), Mike Parker, Brian Leitner, John Farley, James D, Lee Harrah, Chad and son, Chris Johnson, Scott A, Wilbs, Paul Riggs, Chuck, Brue, Dr Mego, it's never long enough but it feels like i just saw you guys, so it evens out.

The good people who make Blue Moon.

New Faces: It was a blast finally meeting Corey, Scott (too brief!), Toyman Chris and others (sorry I'm a little fuzzy).

Dave Mc, John, Art and Rose, Jason and David, Luey, we missed you guys this year and hope you're there in 2013.

I'm sure I'm forgetting people and events, don't take it personally as I'm rather daft at the moment.

As is tradition now, I skip the Saturday night dinner in lieau of driving to Buffalo to break up the drive, enjoy a good night's sleep and take in the flea market. This is done for convenience as much as it neccesity, as I find it impossible to leave the Megosuite at a decent hour.

Buffalo brewpub wings and beer ease the pain slightly, as did the almost nine hours of sleep I got.

The next day Ed and I flea marketed along with his lovely partner Jen and Chris Jefferies, which made for a second "Canadian style mini mego meet" we should have done sooner.

I returned home to two children who missed the hell out of me and an understanding wife who let me pass out for another marathon sleep session. I write this essay in an almost comatose state as it'll likely take me a month to pay back my sleep debit but the one thing I can always count on from the Meet is a renewal of my batteries so to speak.

Meeting you folks and seeing families enjoying themselves, people being kind to one another, the kid's custom competition, it just makes it feel all worth it.

Megomeet may never be the size of SDCC or have the fame but if I had to choose between the two, MM would always win.

When I got home, I'll share the amazing swag I managed to get.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • HumanWolfman
    Type3Toys Has Transformed
    • Oct 5, 2011

You are my monster hero. How does one make it into your will?
    View My Customs
    www.type3toys.com
    or check here
    http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• palitoy
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by HumanWolfman
      You are my monster hero. How does one make it into your will?
      I'll leave the Hammer Frankenstein shirt in my will for you sir.

Comment

• HumanWolfman
        Type3Toys Has Transformed
        • Oct 5, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
        I'll leave the Hammer Frankenstein shirt in my will for you sir.
        Excellent!
        View My Customs
        www.type3toys.com
        or check here
        http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

From the way you described it, the Meet sounds hectic and exhausting, but very fun and rewarding, so I really should go (although hearing about the lack of air conditioning kinda scares me )

The "mini meet" in Buffalo on Sunday with you guys was fun, I had a great time. Hope you guys made it through Canada Customs ok with a car crammed full of toys!

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
            Hope you guys made it through Canada Customs ok with a car crammed full of toys!
            Ed and I managed to compact the swag to less than "hoarding levels" and managed to get the friendliest border guard I've ever had.

When I think about it though, I think both of us were in the clear allowance wise.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Good to hear. And I just remembered that the dollar amount you are allowed to bring back increased recently. That, plus the friendly Customs officer (nice to see you won that crap shoot) probably helped.

Comment

• Megospidey
                Museum Webslinger
                • Jul 26, 2006

Hey everybody....it's piano time!!

Good to see you again Brian.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Megospidey
                  Hey everybody....it's piano time!!

That's what I drive seven hours for.

Happy to see you again Derek!

Comment

• Megospidey
                    Museum Webslinger
                    • Jul 26, 2006

The look on your face when he announced that was P R I C E L E S S !

Comment

• AcroRay
                      Persistent Member
                      • Apr 17, 2005

seeing Collette's collection upstairs was a lot of fun and made up for getting trapped in the elevator. (has the museum always had that?)
                      Yep! And it seems to trap people quite regularly lately...
                      Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                      AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                      The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                      Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        From the way you described it, the Meet sounds hectic and exhausting, but very fun and rewarding, so I really should go (although hearing about the lack of air conditioning kinda scares me )

The "mini meet" in Buffalo on Sunday with you guys was fun, I had a great time. Hope you guys made it through Canada Customs ok with a car crammed full of toys!
                        Next year we are totally swinging by to pick you up in the Vantooth before we hit the meet.

My apologies if I was a bit distracted and wandering off all the time at the flea market... my alternate persona at these things is Billy from the Family Circus meandering the neighbourhood. Glad we did have a chance to chat, relax and hang at Ted's and TRU. Even happier that you scored the Weird Science boxset.

I managed to stash some stuff in Jen's car so that we weren't so Sanford and Son at the border.

No longer will I doubt Brian's Doug Henning-like powers next time he predicts that we would return in triumph to backbaconland with Captain Action and both outfits. I popped into my TRU across the street this morning and mocked it for it's lack of CA and Godzilla.

Really looking forward to next month's Flea market day trip.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• VintageMike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2004

Always good too see you. Loved checking out those images for the book.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Really glad to see more plaid stallion stuff up close!
                            Mini canada mego mego after mego meet -seems like an natural segue

And yes, without a doubt I too would choose Mego Meet over SDCC (or any other) any day.

Comment

• johnmiic
                              Adrift
                              • Sep 6, 2002

Dave Mc, John, Art and Rose, Jason and David, Luey, we missed you guys this year and hope you're there in 2013.
                              Thank You. The 8th Mego Meet is where "The 8" gets broken. I didn't realize so many regulars didn't make it this year.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎