Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What colours did Marx plastic superheroes come in?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

What colours did Marx plastic superheroes come in?

I picked up a couple of oddities this weekend that I assume are 'boots of some sort... Anyone ever see a hulk in a kind of 80's day glow pink, or a Captain America that's kind of pea green?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • sauce
    Removed
    • Jun 24, 2007

what colors DIDN'T they come in??!!

. . . .but yeah, lots of bootlegs out there these days. . . .I don't know the official color scheme, but I feel like I have seen them all, once you include the South American releases.

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

When I was a kid, I remember having a dark blue Hulk, a bright, lime green Captain America, a bright orange Spidey, and a red Daredevil and Thor. So those were official Marx 70's colours for sure, I don't remember what other colours were available at the time, but I'm pretty sure pink wasn't one of them.

Comment

• MLoudin
        Possessed by Megos
        • Sep 13, 2007

The original set released in '67 were all grey/silver looking... The multi colored sets came out in the early '70's

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

I just researched this a bit because I bought some of the "dark red" 1980s bootlegs, and this site seemed to have most of the answers:

1967 Marx Marvel Superhero Figures StorySpider-Blog! Spider-Blog!
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

I just wish I had one in whatever color!!! I loved those guys so much, they were my pride and joy when I got them! I look for them at every flea market I go to...
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• babycyclops
              Career Member
              • Jul 9, 2010

I got a green Iron Man, and picked up an orange Hulk for a friend.

Cavemen, Barbarians, and some other sets are being re-issued soon
              http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?W...ries=All&Dis=2
              Last edited by babycyclops; Jun 5, '12, 6:53 PM.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

These have always been a favorite of mine.
                Dark Red versions I've seen are from Mexico. Apparently many of Marx molds are in Mexico still being cast today. Although I've not seen all of the six from Mexico, I've seen Cap. America, Ironman, Daredevil and Hulk. Common with these recasts, is 'chunk' not thin flash at the feet and base. Appears to be cause by chips in the molds. All markings are removed from under the base and some have a round blue sticker that says in white letters; "Made in Mexico".

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

The chunk is worst on Iron Man. It's a pretty easy tell in pics on eBay, etc.
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

I assume these are the standard colours.
                    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:SS:CA:1123

The pink Hulk I purchased looks like this one...
                    INCREDIBLE HULK VINTAGE 6 INCH MARX RARE NEON PINK / RED FIGURE MARVEL | eBay

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

That set of original 2nd edition pieces is nice!
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

Sometime in late 1980s Glenwood Distribution sold bagged sets of the red figures from Mexico in USA comic retail shops. I have seen at least 15 different colors on Creature from the Black Lagoon also by Marx.

There are some cool Mexico bootlegs using Marx bodies and making figures like Superman, Kaliman, Batman, Robin, Gator Monster, and tons of others all in varying quality.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

And let's not forget the painted ones that came out. Rare to find without some sort of scraping of paint. Had a chance about 10 years ago to get a set painted...but I thought that they never came painted. Stupid me It was a bargain at $100 for the set of painted Marx Marvel figures.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                            One eyed, wonder
                            • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                            And let's not forget the painted ones that came out. Rare to find without some sort of scraping of paint. Had a chance about 10 years ago to get a set painted...but I thought that they never came painted. Stupid me It was a bargain at $100 for the set of painted Marx Marvel figures.
                            OMG, I hear you. An early ebay lesson: No matter how cheap the auction is, know your top price in advance.
                            I found an ebay auction for a painted set, (dirt cheap) about 8 years ago. Through out the week it stayed low. At the end, I thought I was gonna walk away with this treasure for next to nothing. Then the bids started coming in. I freaked. 'What's this? It's the last minutes and I don't know what to do'. Worse, I never considered the max I would pay. It closed at $38. I'm still crying today.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Neutron X
                              Sometime in late 1980s Glenwood Distribution sold bagged sets of the red figures from Mexico in USA comic retail shops. I have seen at least 15 different colors on Creature from the Black Lagoon also by Marx.
                              Were the sets, the complete six characters? I've only seen pictures of what maybe a Spiderman. I've never seen a dark red Mexico Thor.

Originally posted by Neutron X
                              There are some cool Mexico bootlegs using Marx bodies and making figures like Superman, Kaliman, Batman, Robin, Gator Monster, and tons of others all in varying quality.
                              "Varying quality"? That's putting it nicely. Have you ever seen a Catwoman?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎