X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Nerd Therapy Session: Starch of Maize

This one goes back to 1977, a spendy new toy, the burning curiousity to know what's inside and the misery that's always certain to follow.

More after the jump.....

Kenner’s Stretch Armstrong took the world by storm in 1977. Well, that’s how I remember it anyway, seeing as I was six at the time, that was the front page news.
    I also remember being down right obsessed with him, I needed to own this toy, it was REALLY important. If I had to issue blame,it would be on my beloved Fantastic Four treasure edition which not only gave me great appreciation for Mr Fantastic but an adult fetish for women who look like Jack Kirby drew them.

My desire to own Stretch now seems a little strange, he couldn’t hold anything, didn’t have any villains to beat up (this was pre Stretch Monster) and he wasn’t exactly all that aesthetically pleasing. He kind of looks like Marlon Brando in a speedo to be honest.

However, those are the thoughts of an all too pragmatic adult and not those of a child, he stretches, he’s new, I must have him. “Point final” as my francophone wife would say.
    While I can’t remember the details, just that the stars lined up for me in the acquisition of a $12 dollar toy nowhere near Christmas or my birthday, as I happened to be in a Zeller’s store with my mother and my all too enabling Grandmother.
    Somehow I convinced them to "team up" when I came across a display of Stretch dolls at the bottom of the aisle. For me this grand union was better than Spider-Man meets Superman. It’s a vision wonderfully etched in my mind as is the feeling of lugging that heavy shopping bag around the Oshawa Center.
    As I was being tucked into bed that night, naturally with Stretch at my side, my mother made a fatal mistake in warning “Never bite him, the stuff that makes him stretch would leak out and ruin him” Across the hall my sister interjected “It’s the stuff people put on pancakes!”
    That warning (and trivia) planted a seed that doomed Stretch forever.
    I really enjoyed Stretch Armstong, play time was limited but he was really a great conversation piece. However, with every kid who asked me “What’s inside of him” it took it’s toll on my psyche more and more.
    One night in bed, it just overcame me, in a moment of weakness, I bit into him. I remember the taste of latex and then corn syrup, to this day the smell of both turns my stomach.
    Stretch started to dribble out a thick, red liquid, his face looked to be saying "Et Tu Brian?" I felt dizzy and sick, what had possessed me to do such a thing?
    That was it, Stretch was put into a paper bag and stored in our sun deck where toys go to die. I lamented that stupid decision for months to come and you can better believe I did not receive a stretch monster the following year.
    About a year later, I peaked into the bag and a slight miracle happened, the paper bag and the corn syrup had formed a bond and Stretch was good as new.
    Other than the pure joy of being reunited with Stretch my recollection ends there, we played for a while until he disappeared like a thief in the knight along with Big Jim, Bullet Man, Maskatron, Mego Western Heroes and my Lincoln Monsters. My head was too far into a galaxy far, far away to notice. Sorry buddy.
    This incident has helped me relate to my children in numerous ways, whenever they do something I warned them not to do and can't explain why, I am immediately sent back to that moment of panic and that horrible, sinking feeling. It's part of being a kid and sometimes it's a valuable lesson.

If you have a Nerd Therapy Session you'd like to contribute, email me here.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Wow. My grandparents got me a Stretch Armstrong for Christmas. I kind of felt the same way, he seemed really cool until I actually tried playing with him. It was really kind of a limited, unsatisfying experience. But he was cool to show off to friends. I was a few years older than you, so I was out of my toy biting stage. But I honestly completely forget what ended up happening to mine. Now it's bugging me.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
      Persistent Member
      • Oct 3, 2007

What somebody has to figure out is how to rejuvenate one of these guys. I found one several months ago. I think his internal fluids had hardened or carmalized. It was like a statue. No leaks or tears. It's skin was discolored and dirty. Probably from the grime of finger prints and such.
      I wonder if you soak it in hot water. Could you loosen up his hardened corn syrup???
      Anyway, Back in the day. I never was interested in Stretch. He seemed a one trick pony.
      Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
      MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Being around 11 at the time, the only memories I have of Stretch, (besides the commercial), are that of being at my dad's friend's house, Mrs. Green, an older woman, and her grandson Aaron who lived w/ her who was younger than me. He had one of these, and it was kinda fun when we each took a limb and pulled. Aaron used to use him as the hero that could sit on the smaller action figures backs so they couldn't escape, the strong man in the circus, and even swimming champion in the bathtub, (the last one I only heard about). I never wanted one, and strangely enough, never wondered what was inside.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
          What somebody has to figure out is how to rejuvenate one of these guys. I found one several months ago. I think his internal fluids had hardened or carmalized. It was like a statue. No leaks or tears. It's skin was discolored and dirty. Probably from the grime of finger prints and such.
          I wonder if you soak it in hot water. Could you loosen up his hardened corn syrup???
          Anyway, Back in the day. I never was interested in Stretch. He seemed a one trick pony.
          I could suggest trying the microwave, but the end results of that would likely be tragic and messy....
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Never really had any interest in stretch Armstrong himself, but boy did I treasure my stretch monster until the day that me, my brother and two cousins each grabbed a limb to finally settle the question once and for all... How far could we stretch him?
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• babycyclops
              Career Member
              • Jul 9, 2010

"Never bite him"....This is a excellent illustration of how particular words or actions can have the exact opposite effect of their intent.
              Great and weird toy story!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎