Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Famous Covers Doctor Doom is getting...sticky.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Famous Covers Doctor Doom is getting...sticky.

I recently moved a lot of my collection to a storage unit and when I checked on an open FC Doctor Doom I had I noticed the rubber armor was feeling a little tacky/sticky. Anyone else see this happen? I previously had it in a box in a cool dark closet for many years.
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I have a Wolverine who's mask started gumming up a couple years after I got him. It must be real cheap and/or reactive material to go that fast.

Don C.

Comment

• babycyclops
      Career Member
      • Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, I have that figure, and his armour is sticky. I had him on display as soon as I got him, and he got sticky pretty fast.

He's packed away now, but I'm thinking maybe a wash in soapy water is worth a try.

Comment

• megocrazy
        Museum Trouble Maker
        • Feb 18, 2007

Baby powder stopped it but not permanently. Took away the shine too. FC rubber is crappy. The boots and gloves always seem fine but Doom is a horror show. Haven't looked at the Wolverines. I'm sure the ones I have are probably tacky too.
        It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Doom's doomed!!! I had mine do that while on display and he ended up getting a little fuzzy with dust sticking ot him.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TomStrong
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2011

I have a FC Thor and his boots have lost their golden paint and look to be deteriorating. He's only ever been on display.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

The Dark Pheonix gloves, Psylocke's suit, DD's Gloves, Aquaman's shirt are also all screwed.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

I had that happen with my Wolverine cowls. A light dose of liquid soap and water remedied it. I retain a degree of fondness for the Famous Covers. Not because the execution is there on all of them. But because this was the first time the whole idea of Mego's began to take hold again in modern times. So, for that reason, I respect their historical importance in helping to bring attention to the brand name. I think it was an important first step in reopening this marketplace. Some kids grew up with Famous Covers which then brought them to the Retro age.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎