• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Classic GI Joe question

So;

Not counting differnet outfits and such, how many different basic Joes were there for the original two lines? And how different were they? And where's a good place for pics? I've found a lot of pics, but no site really easily organized for what I'm looking for. (And I know they gotta be out there somewhere....)

For the original Joes, there were three? (Not counting the nurse.)

For the AT ones there seem to have been a bunch, but which ones were actually different sculpts/paint jobs and not just a regular figure that talked.

Don C.
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

I'm not sure about the 60s line, but for the 70s fuzzhead AT Joes there were:

Land Adventurer (white w/ beard)
    Man Of Action (white no beard)
    Adventurer (black, no beard)
    Sea Adventurer (red head w/ beard)
    Air Adventurer (blonde w beard)
    Talking Commander (like Land Adventurer that talks)
    Black Commander (w/ beard that talks, and somewhat rare)
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• HardyGirl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Whoops! Double post, sorry!

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by HardyGirl
        I'm not sure about the 60s line, but for the 70s fuzzhead AT Joes there were:

Land Adventurer (white w/ beard)
        Man Of Action (white no beard)
        Adventurer (black, no beard)
        Sea Adventurer (red head w/ beard)
        Air Adventurer (blonde w beard)
        Talking Commander (like Land Adventurer that talks)
        Black Commander (w/ beard that talks, and somewhat rare)
        You forgot the Black Adventurer, Talking Astronaut, and the Talking Man Of Action. Then there were the Kung Fu grip versions, and Muscle Body and "Defenders".
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• HardyGirl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by drquest
          You forgot the Black Adventurer, Talking Astronaut, and the Talking Man Of Action. Then there were the Kung Fu grip versions, and Muscle Body and "Defenders".
          Well, he say the first 2 lines, and Kung Fu grip, muscle Joe, and Defenders weren't in the first 2. Yes, I did forget the talking astronaut and talking MOA.
          And if you look again, I DID include the Black Adventurer where it says Adventurer (black, no beard).

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

For the 1960's versions, here's what you'd find:

Action Soldier
            Action Marine
            Action Pilot
            Action Sailor

Those 4 came in 4 different hair colors, black,brown,blonde and auburn(red). In 1965 they released a Black Action Solider and same sculpt as the regular figures.

The Soldiers of the World sets were a different face sculpt, no scar and came in the different hair colors as well, except for the Japanese figure which only came in black and was a specific head sculpt.

There were also talking versions of all of the standard sets too.

Talking Action Soldier
            Talking Action Marine
            Talking Action Pilot
            Talking Action Sailor

The 1969 sets were released only one year, and they had the Adventurer, and Aquanaut and Talking Astronaut. Those all came in all the same hair colors. A Negro Adventurer was also released.

That led into the fuzzy haired era in 1970.

There are variations on all of these, some are harder to find than others etc...

If you look at my FS/FT post here, you'll see some pictures of the Japanese figures, as well as three of the 1969 sets I have for sale/trade.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by HardyGirl
              Well, he say the first 2 lines, and Kung Fu grip, muscle Joe, and Defenders weren't in the first 2. Yes, I did forget the talking astronaut and talking MOA.
              And if you look again, I DID include the Black Adventurer where it says Adventurer (black, no beard).
              Sorry I thought you meant hair color rather than body color on that one, didn't mean to slight you. Several of the sets shipped with different hair colors for some reason, brown and blonde MOA as an example.
              Last edited by drquest; May 24, '12, 11:29 AM.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                House of a thousand Megos
                • Aug 10, 2009

There was also Mike Powers Atomic Man and Bulletman. The original Joes was Sailor, Soldier, Marine and Pilot any of which would have had Painted red, blonde, brown, or black hair. As far as I know the brown and blonde haired ones had brown eyes and the black and red haired ones had blue eyes. There was also the black versions of the 4 services and there was Japanese soldier, French, Russian, and German soldiers that had a European appearance. And thats all I got to say about that.
                Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                  House of a thousand Megos
                  • Aug 10, 2009

The original Joes some had hard plastic heads and some later 60s versions had the softer slightly larger heads and once I got a blonde later soft head with blue eyes and comes to find out it used to be a fuzz head Man of Action early release in which they are painted under the fuzzy hair. I also found a Land Adventurer with hair rubs that had the same blonde hair underneath.
                  Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Trappy Trek Freak
                    The original Joes some had hard plastic heads and some later 60s versions had the softer slightly larger heads and once I got a blonde later soft head with blue eyes and comes to find out it used to be a fuzz head Man of Action early release in which they are painted under the fuzzy hair. I also found a Land Adventurer with hair rubs that had the same blonde hair underneath.
                    Hasbro flocked over the rest of the painted hair heads they had and you can find those from time to time. Also the Adventure Team Joes didn't have painted rivets, but you'll find some with them because Hasbro was using up the rest of those bodies as well.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

This is kinda complicated!

>For the 1960's versions, here's what you'd find:
                      Action Soldier
                      Action Marine
                      Action Pilot
                      Action Sailor

I’ve seen four before, but a lot of refrences group the Marine/army guy as the same.... even though I’ve seen two different outfits: cammo and OD. They’re often both referred to as Rocky.... does one have another name?

>In 1965 they released a Black Action Solider and same sculpt as the regular figures.

So.... the same head sculpt? What was the basic outfit like?

>The Soldiers of the World sets were a different face sculpt, no scar and came in the different hair colors as well, except for the Japanese figure which only came in black and was a specific head sculpt.
                      >there was Japanese soldier, French, Russian, and German soldiers that had a European appearance

....er.... wait.... there’s another series? Did they ALL use the same sculpts? What were the basic outfits like for these guys?

>There were also talking versions of all of the standard sets too.

Were they different from the regular ones sculp-wise? (I could never keep track of all the talking guys....)

>The 1969 sets were released only one year, and they had the Adventurer, and Aquanaut and Talking Astronaut. Those all came in all the same hair colors. A Negro Adventurer was also released.

>That led into the fuzzy haired era in 1970.

Wow. The reason I’m wondering is ‘cos I got a set of True Dave’s 8" scaled Joe heads and I’m wondering which Joes to make with them. I’m also hoping this doesn’t become another series I have to obsessively build. (I got pics of that training tower already.... a bad sign.)

Don C.

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 25, 2010

These two sites ought to help you out.

Vintage GI Joes at Old Joes!

ATGIJOE.com
                        Vintage Toy Rescue
                        1614-B N State Hwy 161
                        Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                        (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

If you are building a custom shrunken set of Joes, I would suggest sticking to the original 5.

Soldier, Pilot, Sailer, Marine, and the black Soldier.
                          You would want a dress green type suit for the soldiers, blue pants/light blue shirt for the sailer, camo for the marine, and an orange or yellow jumpsuit for the pilot.

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by ctc
                            Hmmmm....

This is kinda complicated!

>For the 1960's versions, here's what you'd find:
                            Action Soldier
                            Action Marine
                            Action Pilot
                            Action Sailor

I’ve seen four before, but a lot of refrences group the Marine/army guy as the same.... even though I’ve seen two different outfits: cammo and OD. They’re often both referred to as Rocky.... does one have another name?

The original "prototypes" had names, but the creators at Hasbro didn't want to limit them by name. My thought is Timmy goes to the store and all they have are Rocky's on the shelf and his mom says you already have a Rocky. But if it's an Action Soldier, Timmy can't have too many of those, LOL..

Regarding the outfits, the Action Solider came with OD fatigues and the Marine had Camo. Pilot was an orange jumpsuit(the early ones came in Goldenrod jumpsuits, yellow). The Sailor has light blue shirt, and dark blue pants.

>In 1965 they released a Black Action Solider and same sculpt as the regular figures.

So.... the same head sculpt? What was the basic outfit like?

Yes the exact same head sculpt, and he was called the Black Action Soldier so he came in the same OD shirt and pants the regular soldier had.

>The Soldiers of the World sets were a different face sculpt, no scar and came in the different hair colors as well, except for the Japanese figure which only came in black and was a specific head sculpt.
                            >there was Japanese soldier, French, Russian, and German soldiers that had a European appearance

....er.... wait.... there’s another series? Did they ALL use the same sculpts? What were the basic outfits like for these guys?

All of the SOTW figures had the same European head sculpt with no scar except for the Japanese figure. In the SOTW there was the German, Russian, French, British, Australian and Japanese.

>There were also talking versions of all of the standard sets too.

Were they different from the regular ones sculp-wise? (I could never keep track of all the talking guys....)

Sculpt wise no, but those later issue heads were generally softer plastic wise, whereas the early GiJoe heads tended to harden over the years.

>The 1969 sets were released only one year, and they had the Adventurer, and Aquanaut and Talking Astronaut. Those all came in all the same hair colors. A Negro Adventurer was also released.

>That led into the fuzzy haired era in 1970.

Wow. The reason I’m wondering is ‘cos I got a set of True Dave’s 8" scaled Joe heads and I’m wondering which Joes to make with them. I’m also hoping this doesn’t become another series I have to obsessively build. (I got pics of that training tower already.... a bad sign.)

Don C.
                            The Adventure Team Joes seem to make better 8" figures in my opinion, since you can send those out to get them flocked and there's a lot of Action Jackson stuff you can lean on for accessories.

Good luck with it!
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• samuraiman691
                              • Jun 8, 2012

hi, im new here just wundering if you can spread the word around im samuraiman691 and im working on a reproduction version of the action team wooden raft that was made by the german co. of hasbro itll be on ebay soon ill be loading pics soon but not sure where to post them ...hope you can help thanks...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎