X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

Gabriel Lone Ranger and Tonto figs

So I was cleaning the garage...going thru some containers I haven't looked into in years.
    Came across my childhood Lone Ranger and Tonto figs.

I am in no way an expert on these guys, but from what a quick Google/eBay peek showed me - they are complete except for Tonto's headband.

The thread has come undone on the Ranger's button holding his pants together.

Also, they both are pretty loose...probably could use a re-stringing.

Plus, from the quick glances at Internet photos, maybe there was different fabric used on Ranger's outfit??

Ranger's hat is pretty dirty. I wonder how well it will clean up...something like toothpaste perhaps??

Anywho - here they are.

• MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Tonto had a headband with a feather in it. But other than that, those figures are complete. Never seen the fabric ball up like that on the Ranger, but it certainly reads like the same material. Just wear and tear, I would imagine.

Comment

• Neutron X
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 22, 2007

Nice! Some of the fuzzies on the Lone Ranger may come up by using Scotch Tape smooth down then slowly pull up.

Comment

• noelani72
        27inaleon
        • Jun 25, 2002

thanks -I'll see how the tape idea does.

There are some Tontos on eBay right now.
        The carded ones and a loose one all have the yellow headband with green stitching design.
        There is one loose one that has red stitching instead.
        Is the red stitching a Variant or repro perhaps?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

The color on your Ranger's outfit is still nice and blue. Mine's all faded. He must have wandered through the desert too much.
          I'm going to have to re-dye it...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• torgospizza
            Theocrat of Pan Tang
            • Aug 19, 2010

I've seen two types of material used on the Ranger's outfit: the kind you have that balls up (it's more flannel-y than the other kind) and a more chambray or twill kind of material. I prefer the look of the second kind, but as old as they are now, some of them have a real problem with a kind of dry rot sort of thing where they rip way, way too easily. I haven't seen that happen with the material yours has, noelani.
            Last edited by torgospizza; May 21, '12, 5:54 PM.

Comment

• stuart
              Hi-Yo Silver Away!
              • Jun 18, 2007

You even have the original mask! That's a tough one to find. My mask broke where the strap meets the mask. I have not found a glue on the planet that will keep it attached. I'm using a Doc Mego Robin mask - It doesnt look too bad.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                Veteran Member
                • May 15, 2012

Those are nice and close to complete! If you have steady hands, you could trim the balls off Lone Ranger's suit. I've done this with a couple figures I found from my childhood collection, and also my old Kermit the Frog. My Ranger has the cloth-type suit though. Thanks for posting these. It's nice to see others that still have their childhood toys.

Comment

• hobub
                  Ghost of a Dead Indian
                  • Jun 18, 2001

Awesome post, considering what I just uncovered today I'm very glad to read it. Removezit from twinpines.com will get it cleaned up. Or try clearasil.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                    If you have steady hands, you could trim the balls off Lone Ranger
                    Language, language...
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I still have my childhood ones including horses and the wagon, plus three carded ones (Tonto, Red Sleeves and El Lobo).

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                        I still have my childhood ones including horses and the wagon, plus three carded ones (Tonto, Red Sleeves and El Lobo).
                        You are a Captain with great tastes. I have 3 boxed: LR, Tonto and Butch. It's my all-time favorite box art and this is coming from a box art snob.
                        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 15, 2012

Haha

I read my first post again, and it was unintentionally funny I have the Ranger, Tonto, Butch, Silver, and Scout. They all hung out at my Marx Ready Gang town playset that I posted pics of in the classic toys section.

Comment

• Red Hulk
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 19, 2012

Very nice I had both Lone Ranger and Tonto back when I was a kid, Such a great toyline.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎