X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Dull gifts for children

OK, I'm sure that there are some in the PS audience who a) Had these as a kid and were thrilled to have them or b) Collect them now but honestly, I'm going to go on a limb and say the average eight year old would probably rather have oh, a Stretch Monster than a pile of long since dead politicians.

As an adult, I kind of think it's cool, sort of like when all the Doctor Who's get together.

On second thought, little White House is equally awesome and I want one now....

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

That the Marx set?

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I like it and would've as a kid, but I was weird I had a fascination with JFK and U.S Presidents
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Well, the "action" presidents like Washington, Grant, Teddy Roosevelt and Eisenhower could go fight with your green army men. The non-military but still cool guys like Lincoln and Kennedy could hang out on the balcony, and the caretaker presidents could mow the White House lawn.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
          Career Member
          • May 14, 2007

Not a dull set for the right kid especially since it comes with Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. I'm pretty sure he will go after Richard Nixon pretty quick.
          Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

If you collected these now wouldn't it bother you that the set isn't complete?
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I would have not liked that as child and I still have no interest. But as child, wowsers, that would have been a crappy gift.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• megoat
                A Therefore Experience
                • Jun 10, 2003

My brother had these when we were kids. He was obsessed with presidents. He could name all the presidents by age 4 and even knew all the vice presidents shorty thereafter. He LOVED this set. I think he still has it!

Comment

• Funkyterrance
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Feb 15, 2012

Judging by the mixed responses here Marx must have done their market research lol. I personally think that this set is really cool... now. Then, I would have been very disappointed so yes I agree this is indeed a Dull Toy but evidently there were plenty of dull children to play with it so its all good .

Comment

• babycyclops
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 9, 2010

It looks more like the sort of toy you can display rather than actually play with.
                    Now if some of the presidents were in action poses...... with a flamethrower, or throwing a grenade, there would be more play opportunities.

If you had other figure the same size you could also have fun.
                    President Roosevelt could be explaining his New Deal to a group of Marx cavemen, for example.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

My cousins had these displayed in a case in their living room (!), alongside a wee little set of the Beatles. I always thought they were kind of neat, but then I like historical stuff.

Never saw the White House though. But here's one on Ebay :
                      MARX WHITEHOUSE WITH PRESIDENTS | eBay

And the set from this thread:

MARX MASTERBUILDER MODEL KIT OF WHITE HOUSE WITH PRESIDENTS, ORIGINAL BOX | eBay

Here's somebody who did the modern Presidents to fit in with these to finish the series, also other political figures like Sarah Palin, McCain, Ben Franklin, Supreme Court Justices, etc. :

Supreme Court, Famous Americans items in Historic Figures store on eBay!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

As a kid I would have found this dull compared to all the great seventies toys that were made.

Now i think its very cool. The White House is the best part about it. It has great educational value as well. Instead of just trying to learn names, theres a visual aid to help.

Having this set would make me want figures of all the people after.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                          Hot Child in the City
                          • Jul 3, 2008

See, now you've got me interested in these, so I start looking....and not only do they have Presidents, but I came across this one. note the NM paint job on Him:

MARX HARD PLASTIC JESUS NM | eBay

Somehow, I've missed seeing this particular version done up in stained glass on Sunday.

Comment

• Funkyterrance
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Feb 15, 2012

Originally posted by babycyclops
                            It looks more like the sort of toy you can display rather than actually play with.
                            Now if some of the presidents were in action poses...... with a flamethrower, or throwing a grenade, there would be more play opportunities.

If you had other figure the same size you could also have fun.
                            President Roosevelt could be explaining his New Deal to a group of Marx cavemen, for example.
                            Dude you've got me thinking... you could REALLY have fun with mixing the figures of the same size. Think of all the different eras of toys you could have with scenarios of the president being kidnapped and eventually being rescued by the heroes!

Comment

• PoorMansJB
                              • Nov 1, 2010

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                              Never saw the White House though. But here's one on Ebay :
                              MARX WHITEHOUSE WITH PRESIDENTS | eBay

Here's somebody who did ... other political figures like ... Supreme Court Justices, etc. :

Supreme Court, Famous Americans items in Historic Figures store on eBay!
                              Crap, now I'll have to bid on the White House ...

If I buy all nine Justices, can I get a free Anita Hill?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎