X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

What is Wrong with Today's Kids?

How come kids now-a-days don't show any interest in Mego Like action figures? Every time some toy manufacturer attempts to make a Mego re-issue or a Mego Like figure line it ends up being cancelled due to low sales...

Recently Hasbro made the Signature Series line of cool 9 inch superhero figures for their Marvel franchise and phased into a Marvel Legends line of 9 inch hero figures. They are all around Toys R Us and getting into clearance...

With these poor sales I would not be surprised if they cancel plans for announced figures like the FF 9 inch Mr. Fantastic and Human Torch!

Darn Video Games! Darn Kenner Star Wars!

Boy
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Video games and Marketing has a lot to do with it. My kid is now crazy about Lego Star Wars. He never bothered much with Legos until playing the video game for Lego Star Wars. Now it's all about Lego Ships and minifigs. Nothing wrong with that, but he's got a ton of 4 inch SW figures that look a heck of a lot more like the actual characters that no longer get messed with.

It also depends on what's on the tube. We had our daily afterschool dose of Marvel cartoons, Batman reruns and on the weekends Superfriends. Today kids get their daily dose of "Chowder" and such. I notice many of these rely a lot on "gross" humor and less on adventure.

Comment

• Action Martin
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 30, 2007

Price could also be a factor for kids. When Toy Biz did their Mego-like fgures, you could buy 3 or more of the standard Toy Biz figures for the same price as 1 Mego-like. I imagine price also stops them from buying EMCE's Star Trek. $30 for 2 might be a decent price for working adults that know the original Star Trek and have a fondness for Megos but to a kid $30 is an X-Box game, 9 Mattel JLU action figures, 5 Hasbro Star Wars action figures, 4 WWE action figures, etc. And those are characters they know.
      Scott

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

It's definitely right that kids don't play as much with toys anymore. My kids like my Megos, but don't spend alot of time with their toys. They prefer computer games and their train set. I don't even buy toys for my nephew, who's only 7, because he doesn't have any real interest.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

I'm sure price is one of the reasons,but I think that it's just a lot easier to play with smaller figures,atleast for me as a kid it was easier to play with something like Gi joes or Star Wars 3 3/4 then it was with Megos,but that's just me
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• mitchedwards
            Mego Preservation Society
            • May 2, 2003

Plus kids don't read as much as we used to do. Not many kids are reading comics, so the whole hero thing is just what they see on TV and movies.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Eric
              Museum Patron
              • Jan 11, 2008

I think it all depends on what they see on TV. I made some DVDs of the 1966 Batman series for my 5-year old nephew and he totally loves it and any figures that come close to the Adam West and Burt Ward Batman and Robin (namely, the "Classic" B&R). When I showed him the Mego Batcave commercial on YouTube he was mesmerized; the first thing he said to my brother was "Daddy, I want that!!" Daddy had to explain to him that it was something from a long time ago and they don't make it anymore.

I loved the Spiderman Origins Signature Series and collected lots of the figures. Still, I got the feeling that it really was marketed toward the older collectors. Were there any commercials for the line? If so, were they placed within children's programming? Plus, you get the feeling that all those damned twisty ties are there for adult collectors as a way of making sure that something has never been removed from the box.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

I know I'm not a parent, (but I am a teacher), and I notice here on the internet, parents say things like "It's too bad that kids don't like the to play w/ the stuff we did, or watch the cartoons, etc. All they wanna do is play video games." Well, It seems to me that if you wanna get your kids hooked on classics, educate them early. I know Wrathdemon's daughter Gabby loves her Megos, b/c of her daddy. There's no law that says that just b/c kids are into video games, that your kid has to play them. I know many parents who don't buy video games for their kids, or even watch standard TV (just the occasional DVD), and as a result, their kids have really great imaginations, and love playing w/ toys. And if they really want their kids into the classic toys and TV shows, there's always Ebay and YouTube. I know my class loves stuff like Evel Knievel, SMDM/Bionic Woman, Land Of The Giants, '66 Batman, and classic Star Trek, etc. They also really like playing w/ my Apes, GI Joes, etc., b/c I expose them to that kind of thing. Get them into reading adventure stories and comics. My class always looks forward to our annual trip to the comic book store. I like to read them aloud as well, and include all the dopey sound effect. Yes, the times are chanigng, but that doesn't mean just b/c the classic stuff we loved isn't readily available, that kids won't still love it if we introduce it to them early.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                  Pat Troughton in disguise
                  • Nov 21, 2007

I think a lot also has to do with whatever the latest"in toy" or trend is...every christmas there is always a "must have" toy for christmas. The Dr Who figures and toys have been a major success over here in the UK due to the success of the revamped show, with my kids they suddenly realise that the "classic" stuff i've been trying to get them to watch over the years is now a boasting point at school. Kids today arn't allowed the time to nature a hobby or obssession because the "next great thing" to have is shovelled down their throats every couple of weeks via advertising or tv tie ins...no sooner do they like something they are distracted by the shiney lights and colourful fanfare accompanying the newest trend.
                  ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• grayhank
                    That Fisher Price Guy
                    • Feb 9, 2007

I think alot of it has to do with TV plain & simple. I am in my mid 40s now but when I was a kid there were basically 4 channels on TV. Only Saturday mornings were dedicated to children's programming till about 11:30am. There were no VCRs, DVD players, Video Game systems, Cable, Satellite, Home Computers, Video Rental Stores etc. Options for children's entertaiment were limited to recreational sports, children's matinees at the theatres and Toys/Games. If you think about it VCRs have only been around since the early 80s. That was a huge deal for me to get one of those at age 20 in 1984. I could actually watch the movies I wanted to UN-EDITED at home! Then cable comes along with 30 channels (at the time) and so forth.

I do think it's funny that my Dad used to say, he didn't have toys when he was a kid. They used to play "kick the can".
                    Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>Kids today arn't allowed the time to nature a hobby or obssession because the "next great thing" to have is shovelled down their throats every couple of weeks via advertising or tv tie ins...

Y'know it's true; but I don't think it's new. I think our parents were the first really mass-media innundated kids, and the trend continues today. Think back to when we were kids; very few toy lines DIDN'T have a tv tie in, and the ones that didn't were usually tied into a comic (like the superheroes) or soon HAD a comic. (Like pretty much everything else.) For every GI Joe there were a zillion long forgotten series. (Anyone remember Air Raiders? Although I think the name has been recycled....) I really noticed this while transfering some of my vhs tapes to dvd. There were a LOT of ads for stuff I'd long since forgotten. The big dif nowadays is that a lot of figures are being produced for older collectors rather than kids. Makes 'em expensive, AND they usually have limited play value.

I think we all have a certain perceptual bias as well; considering we're united in our affection for action figures. Even when I was a kid, I was something of an oddball for collecting and playing with action figures so much. Most kids had a few, but weren't really into them. Especially around the ages of 8 to 10.

Don C.

Comment

• grayhank
                        That Fisher Price Guy
                        • Feb 9, 2007

Originally posted by Eric
                        Plus, you get the feeling that all those damned twisty ties are there for adult collectors as a way of making sure that something has never been removed from the box.
                        I hate those things. Fortunately I've learned all you need is a good pair of toenail clippers and you can hack right through them quite easily. If you haven't tried it, you'll ask yourself why didn't I think of this before!
                        Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

We're starting to sound a little like some Baby Boomers I know. I had years of "Mego is crap, Captain Action is clearly superior" or "You actually like that Fuzz head junk?"
                          It's not uncommon to think our toys are superior I guess, we only get one childhood.

My son got almost every one of those Hasbro figures and he barely ever plays with them, he prefers the Mattel JLU figures, he loves them. I had high hopes for his mego appreciation but as long he's playing and using his imagination I don't care so much.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MegoGeekJr
                            Youngest Mego Lover
                            • Dec 6, 2005

The problem is, yes, there are no more tv superheroes. Why?
                            Because the average parents are too afraid to let their children watch superhero show!!
                            Justice League Ulimited, The batman, and others have been cancelled due to poor ratings!
                            I say blame the network, the over-obsesed parents, and the kids!!
                            My heighten mutant sense never lies..........................................This ain't lemonade.

Comment

• JDeRouen
                              Author of Small Things
                              • Jun 14, 2001

My son loves video games and television, but he also loved his Megos and 12" reissue G.I. Joes. I think a lot of it depends on what they're exposed to both in the home and culturally.
                              --
                              Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎