X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitchedwards
    Mego Preservation Society
    • May 2, 2003

Tommorw is Star Wars 30th anniversary

May 25, 1977 Star Wars hit the Movie Screens.

My brother took me to go see the movie that night, as a 10 yr old I had no idea about this movie, but I was blown away by what I saw that night.

The sad part about this annoversary is that this really kicked off the star wars toys mania, and brought about the decline of the 8 inch Mego figure

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Yep,
    I seen it on opening day at my local mall theatre.
    My best buddy's mom took both of us......
    I was 12.
    The line went outside the theatre and into the mall.
    I still remember the theatre selling "standing room only" tickets.
    People were sitting on the floor in the isles.
    I bet you'd never see that today
    We totally enjoyed it and she took us to McDonalds afterward.
    My short term memory is getting nasty, but I can still clearly remember junk like this

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

wow it's hard to believe it's 30 years old
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• mitchedwards
        Mego Preservation Society
        • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
        Yep,

My short term memory is getting nasty, but I can still clearly remember junk like this
        YOu and me both. I can rember the line the movie the snacks etc... But don't ask me what I did yesterday

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• mego73
          Printed paperboard Tiger
          • Aug 1, 2003

First time I got the folks to take me to Star Wars, it was sold out so we saw "The Deep" instead. Jackie Bissett in a wet TV shirt was not enough to dull the disapointment.

Finally did see Star Wars I believe a couple weeks later but even before that, it was indeed the year of Star Wars.

It wasn't just a movie, it was a Kid culture earthquake. It crept into all kids lives through school and friends.

George has done a lot to take us away from those original feelings about Star Wars, but really nothing can destroy it.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• RG
            Removed.
            • Oct 1, 2004

I was only 6 months old when it came out, so my first Star Wars movie was Jedi. I guess my mom thought I was too young for ESB when it came out.

I gotta get my butt to the post office and buy some Star Wars stamps

Comment

• GSPUSA
              General Patton
              • Apr 9, 2005

Happy Birthday Star Wars. I ordered 3 sets of stamps today when I went to the post office and they'll mail 'em out tomorrow so I won't have to go again on my lunch break.
              It

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

On Monday evening, the History Channel is supposed to air a new Star Wars special. It looks pretty interesting.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

I think Star Wars kills----end of story

Happy Anniversary ---and may the Force be with y'all
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

Yep, I remember seeing it in the theatre...it wasn't opening weekend but it hadn't been in the theatre too long....went to see it as part of a friend's birthday party...I remember my jaw dropped at the special effects...had never seen anything like it before.

There are a lot of 30th anniversary commeratives coming out this year. I know Hallmark has a 30th anniversary Star Wars ornament.
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I missed the Star Wars phenomenon by a few seconds it seems. I was only 2 when it came out, so I was a bit young to go see it. I had a Darth Vader figure, and a few of the later ESB and Jedi figures, but Star Wars mania never claimed me. A year and a half later, Superman: The Movie became to me what Star Wars was to many.

Either way, it's more than a movie, it's modern folklore on screen. And in the end, a damn fun film. So happy birthday!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                        Stays Crunchy in Milk
                        • Aug 2, 2004

When Star Wars came out I was stuck living in the country with parents that never took me to the movies. I would visit my Aunt every chance I got and she would take me to movies, but by the time I got to visit it wasn't in theaters anymore. I had read the comic book version before I ever got to see it. It seems like I didn't see until it had been out for a year or more, and then it was at the drive-in. I loved it so much that no other sci fi would do. Buck rogers and battlestar didn't stack up
                        Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                          On Monday evening, the History Channel is supposed to air a new Star Wars special. It looks pretty interesting.

- Ian
                          yeah saw that,I'm watching it for sure
                          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Sibling rivalry kept me from admiting I liked Star Wars at first.

My brother was a sci-fi nut and, in my eyes, pretty nerdy. Sooo, if my brother liked, it must be nerdy. He, of course, worshipped SW.

I'm not quite sure how a superhero fanatic like me could point at SW fans and call them nerds, but at the time, I somehow made that differentiation.

Ultimately (and by ultimately I mean a week or two), I was into the culture. I had the cards, watched the specials, etc.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• English Paul
                              Archive cased.
                              • Aug 17, 2005

I recall reading that it didn`t actually make it here to the UK until 1978 or at least christmas 1977. The hype was already over by the time we saw it.

Just found this - http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/starwars3.html

Yes, I was right.

I have been looking around to see if any of our local theatres will be showing it as part of the 30th aniv`- i`d love to take my lad along to see it on the big screen but sadly nowhere seems to be which is a real shame.
                              "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎