X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoat
    A Therefore Experience
    • Jun 10, 2003

Hey Monster Dudes! King Kong Poster

I bought a large poster collection today of mainly super cool acid inspired 60s/70s psychedelic era posters and amongst them was this King Kong poster. Cursory research turned up nothing--it's dated 1967. Fairly large--i'm guessing 2 feet by 3 feet give or take.... I guess mainly I was curious from the monster 'heads in here if they'd ever seen it and/or if it is an "in demand" item amongst 60s monster collectors.....any help would be appreciated!

• shellhead
    museum rustpot
    • Mar 1, 2007

I think they used to sell that poster in the Captain Company ads in Famous Monsters magazine.
    Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Cool! Definitely an iconic poster to be sure! Awesome score!

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
        Career Member
        • Sep 5, 2005

It was sold through the Captain Company as well as in the back of comic books and supposedly at retail into the '70s to my understanding. I'm too young to have seen it in stores. I think the copyright date is part of the Kong copyright fight at the time and not the actual year of release, but I could be wrong. There's a 6x4 Kong poster from the '70s that's much rarer, so be aware of that as you research it more, some people think this is the image on the big one (it's not, the big one is a vertical image of a gigantic Kong against the NY skyline with lightening in the bg). When you decide on a price, please let me know, I'm interested, and interested in seeing the others. Thanks!

Comment

• The Shadow Knows
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 24, 2012

Nice Find!!

I bought my copy of this poster in 1972 at SPENCER'S GIFTS. There was a variety of offerings at the time: DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, WOLFMAN, and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON are one's I remember. There was an offering from CAPTAIN COMPANY in FAMOUS MONSTERS for a KING KONG but I did not know of anyone that ordered one (or if they did, if they ever received it).

I traded my KONG poster for the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON poster and a FRAZETTA poster in 1975.

Still have the CREATURE. Wish I had the KONG as well.
          Who KNOWS what EVIL lurks in the hearts of men? The SHADOW knows!!

VINTAGE MEGOS WANTED: STARSKY, and an Action Jackson ARMY UNIFORM

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎