Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things looking grim for the NEW Star Trek?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Things looking grim for the NEW Star Trek?

Well Mike...You might be right. Due to the Writer's strike...J.J.Abrams isn't allowed to make any Script Changes,or fix any plot holes, or problems as He's shooting. And from what I'm reading...They are needed!

Here's the article: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35208

I'm Bummed...I really wanted Them to get it right.
    sigpic
  • mitchedwards
    Mego Preservation Society
    • May 2, 2003

I'm hoping the movie will be good, but past performance does not bode well for this one.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I predicted it's going to be crap way before this.

I REALLY think, when Gene died, the franchise died.

Those kids in upstate NY are more true to the classic series than anything i've ever seen lately.

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

Like they said of Catwoman starring Halle Berry:

" It's a trainfull of crap going downhill at full speed and the brakes are out!"

Gene brought his own set of problems to Trek after the initial classic series. Still when fan produced stuff like New Voyages and Starship Exeter can do better you gots to read the writing on the wall.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

MORE time travel?!?!?! I guess the new Doctor Who IS pretty popular....

I have NO faith in any new stuff. First; it's not really NEW, it's based on an existing franchaise. It's also a rehash of already established stuff from that franchaise. So right off the bat there's a real reluctance to show any originality. Add to that modern marketing, and attitudes to movie making....

All that's missing is an interview with the producers expressing "we're real fans of the original, and plan to stay true to it's spirit while bringing it up to date with a bold new reimagining!"

Don C.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk

I REALLY think, when Gene died, the franchise died.
            Deep Space 9 was made after his death, and IMO, it's the best Trek series ever.

However, upon reading the aint it cool site, this new Trek movie sounds like it's going to blow.
            Last edited by Hector; Jan 8, '08, 6:18 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
              Pat Troughton in disguise
              • Nov 21, 2007

Although I know the strike is hitting things pretty bad , I hope they aren't using this as an pre ordained excuse for it being a bad movie....
              ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
                Deep Space 9 was made after his death, and IMO, it's the best Trek series ever.

However, upon reading the aint it cool site, this new Trek movie sounds like it's going to blow.

I like DS9 a lot......
                At the moment, it's probably my favourite Trek spin-off...... But I also think it's not "Trek".

Hard to explain.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I honestly think they have squeezed everything they can get out that concept. Of all of the spin offs from the original, I thought the Next Generation was by far the best and even that era didn't last very long as a movie series. To me the original will always be the best. I just don't think it can ever be topped and making a project that is suppose to look like the original characters when they were younger will, in my humble opinion, just remind you of who is no longer playing the role. You can always get someone else to play those characters but you can't replace those original actors that breathed life and soul into them.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
                    I like DS9 a lot......
                    At the moment, it's probably my favourite Trek spin-off...... But I also think it's not "Trek".

Hard to explain.
                    So what is it then, corn flakes?

IT'S TREK DAMMIT!!!

sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>I thought the Next Generation was by far the best

A lot of people did. I think one of the things that made it work was that it WASN'T the original. It built on the ideas, but Roddenberry made it a whole different thing. The original was very WW2, starships worked like WW2 battleships, Starfleet was verey militaristic, and they even ripped off "The Enemy Below." When they did the old new Trek Starfleet was an egalatarian organization, social ills had been remedied, people were well adjusted and forthright. The whole ATTITUDE was different. (Which actually cheesed me off, 'cos there was a Gorn supplement planned for the RPG and Roddenberry canned it 'cos he thought the old school militaristic ideas from the original series would detract from the old new show.) Most of the newer shows ahve kinda bounced between the two; so stuff like DS9 and Voyager never really seem to find their niche. Voyager had lots of good ideas, but they were never really taken anywhere. (And no, I don't mean quantum torpedoes and that weird "Lost in Space" ship armour. I mean stuff like Neelix dying and NOT finding the afterlife he expected, or what happened to some of the alien societie's they met after they left. Hell; even the idea of a half Starfleet and a half terrorist crew went away in a hurry.) DS9 was alright.... but there was one season; where the Doc and O'Brien became buds, which was fantastic! Almost every episode was about then hanging out. Not only were a lot of 'em funny; but they really showed how people in that setting live. Then some bad aliens showed up, intergalactic war, treaties, blah, blah, blah.....

I really expect the new movie to be a lot like everything else out now, 'cos I really don't think the producers have thought things through. Seriously; in the interview they mention how now you'll really get a feel for how big the ship is. No cramped bridge, no endless corridors. Er.... properly a ship from that era SHOULD be cramped, and filled with endless corridors. There was a lot of experimental equipment in them, and they were built extremely functional. Roddenberry modelled them after real navy ships. (There were even guys prepping the phasers and torpedoes...) I bet the new one looks a lot like the old new Trek.

Don C.

Comment

• Surfsup
                        Silver Chrome Dome
                        • Dec 2, 2005

I'm witholding judgement until I see the movie, I still think JJ will pull it off. It certainly can't be as bad as the last few pile of crap Star Trek movies released.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

One of the film's writers refuted the AICN story the other day..

AICN Has More Trek Rumors - Orci Responds | TrekMovie.com

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Histrionic Spock
                            One of the film's writers refuted the AICN story the other day..

AICN Has More Trek Rumors - Orci Responds | TrekMovie.com

GOOD!!I'm glad AICN is wrong...there's still hope!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Captain
                              Fighting the good fight!
                              • Jun 17, 2001

Theres a LOT of pressure on these guys to pull this off. Not just a Trek film, but one that keeps the interest of us old timers, while being rebooted enough to draw in a new and fresh audience. Thats a tall order.

I had hoped this film would be all right (although nothing can recapture or replace the Classic series). The more I hear, the more I cringe.
                              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎