X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Black Hole Breakfast

This should almost be a Nerd Therapy Session but I'm so nostalgic for this time, that I can't throw it under that bus.

You see, when the Disney Sci Fi epic "The Black Hole" came out, I was that kid who thought it better than Star Wars, it just struck a nerve with me.

Most likely it was due to the week where I got the flu and in order to pass the time my Mom bought me every Black Hole comic and activity book she could find.

It was also around that time that an incredible offer was made for Canadian kids, however it did have it's price....(more after the jump)

"Shreddies" cereal ran a tie-in promotion for the Black Hole (they had a running thing with every Disney movie) in the form of the pencil holders shown above. Good for one box anyway but wait, there was more to the story. Send in five (I think) box tops and get a free set of Mego Black Hole action figures.

Seriously, I'm only human.

That changed everything, it was like getting a kickback for your parents groceries. I took the bribe and BEGGED for Shreddies, seeing as it's actually fairly healthy cereal it was a home run.

Every morning for months, I was spent every morning with a fresh bowl of Shreddies. The only hitch to the plan? To me, the cereal tastes like a gritty lump of wallpaper paste floating in a sea of bland.

I wasn't alone in this endeavour, my two "best buds" (three's never work but I'll save that for NST) at the time who were also suffering through it. We formed a quasi support group.

My pal Rick (an incredibly spoiled only child, who I will write a mountain of NST about) finished first, how'd he do it? He cheated. "Pour milk in the box and tell your mom they're stale!" he told me on the playground.

still gives me shivers

I flirted with doing that but while that trick may have worked for "Mommy's special snowflake" Rick, my mom came from a four kid working class Irish/Scottish household. I could picture myself eating those stale Shreddies or worse, getting caught pulling off the crime.

Rick would call me some eight weeks later and tell me he got his three Mego figures and to be on the look out for an envelope with Maximillian on the front. I remember when it came and the joy it brought, I harken back to it almost every time I get an ebay box. I still have the figures by the way, Sentry, VINcent and Max.

By the way, if anybody has the envelope or box from this offer I WILL GIVE YOU ANYTHING YOU WANT FOR IT.

Last year, my buddy jason of the Incredible CollectingCandy.com gifted me with this Black Hole Shreddies box from the second promotion. The space signallers, oh how I wanted them but with no action figure incentive, there was no way I would be down with these.

Jason was also kind of enough to chuck in three of the space signallers as well, first time I'd held them or seen them since the TV commercial.
    To this day, I still can't bear the thought of Shreddies. In the 1990s, they ran a Star Trek promotion and a collector friend in the states paid me to buy the cereal and get the little plastic ships that came with it.

Even though I was a starving student at the time, I couldn't bring myself to eat the stuff instead letting my room mate devour it. As long as it was my food, he seemed particularly easy to please.

Eventually I tracked down a dealer who was just selling the ships, I asked him "what did you do with the cereal" he chucked back "I threw it out, even the homeless shelter refused me!"

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

Awesome story. To this day I still stalk the cereal aisle looking for awesome toy promotions. It's been at least 2 1/2 decades since I've seen anything good, but I just keep looking. I feel like a 7 year old every time I do it.

One question though, didn't Black Hole do a set of bowl sitters? it's the first thging I thought of when I saw the thread title. I'm off to go look for them.

Edit: I guess it wouldn't be the first memory I've conjured out of thin air, but I could SWEAR I remember a Vincent bowl/s**** sitter.
    Last edited by 4NDR01D; Mar 23, '12, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• clemso
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 8, 2001

Great story. C'mon, Shreddies weren't that bad.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, I remember having a bunch of those pencil holders and signallers. Never managed to get in on the figure mail in though. I liked Shreddies ok enough when I was a kid, but it was far from one of my favorites. Today I find them near inedible.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by 4NDR01D

One question though, didn't Black Hole do a set of bowl sitters? it's the first thging I thought of when I saw the thread title. I'm off to go look for them.

I remember other bowl sitters like Winnie the Pooh, but I don't remember Black Hole ones at all, just the other two promotions mentioned above.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by clemso
            Great story. C'mon, Shreddies weren't that bad.
            Maybe they taste better in the UK. I just remember having like 8 seconds before they turned into granulated misery.

I remember other bowl sitters like Winnie the Pooh, but I don't remember Black Hole ones at all, just the other two promotions mentioned above.
            Jungle book had those bowl caddies and pencil figures, I remember those.

"Winnie the Pooh Honey Crunch Cereal" had Pooh based toys.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
              Career Member
              • Sep 5, 2005

Totally agog. I never knew those or the Tron discs existed until is saw them in a shop in 1995 and I just couldn't believe it. What a great set. And yeah, when I read the part about the envelope I immediately scrolled down looking at the rest of the photos for it before going back to reading that ou don't have it. I ever come across that, it's heading your way. Fantastic post.

Do you have the Tron discs? And what the hell else did you get up there that we didn't?

Oh, and I don't even know how many times I made myself sick on the monster cereals (the thought of eating any Frankenberry makes me a little queasy) or Freakies or even the Twinkies with the Star Wars promotion. I reached a point when I bought it with my own money that I'd just throw the "food" away with C-3POs. It didn't make my mom too happy, but she understood I wasn't buying it for the damned cereal. I just wanted the box with the mask on the back. Bought all five at once.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                I ever come across that, it's heading your way. Fantastic post.
                Hugs and thanks.

Do you have the Tron discs? And what the hell else did you get up there that we didn't?
                I barely remember the Tron promotion, I was not much into the film and there was no way I would get another box of Shreddies.

Comment

• kennermike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 4, 2007

this has got to be A Canadian Promo I never saw this in the States?

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

I'm not a big fan of the Black Hole, and my mom wasn't a big fan of mail-away offers. She was convinced that they were just meant to cheat kids. But to this day, I love cereal box prizes. I will look up and down the cereal aisle for a sweetened cereal w/ a prize in it. But sadly, those are few and far between. I'll even wait til Saturday morning to open the box, (even though I don't have to dig anymore, where the challenge in that?), it adds to the magic of the memory of Saturday morning of days gone by.
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                      Career Member
                      • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by kennermike
                      this has got to be A Canadian Promo I never saw this in the States?
                      Oh yeah, Canada only. That's why I was so shocked when I finally saw them, and it was funny because I asked a Canadian collector acquaintance about these and the Tron discs shortly after and his was response was "Yeah, they're crap. What you guys didn't get them?". Go figure.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Canada - Nabisco - Shreddies - Tron mini flying discs frisbees - cereal box - 1982 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Great story, as always.

I remember suffering through several bags of Oreo cookies to get a reprint of Dectecive Comics #27. As odd as it seemed NO ONE in my family liked Oreos. I like them now, but at age 9 I didn't. Go figure. We choked down half a bag and gave the rest to neighbor kids who were constantly mooching off of us anyhow.

As soon as I mailed out my 3 UPCs, I saw the same ad for the Detective promotion, except this time it was from Fig Newtons. My dad ate those things by the metric ton!!!

I still have that comic. It also contains reprints of Robin's origin from #38, and the first Joker story from Batman #1. First time I'd ever read Batman tales THAT far back.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                            Jungle book had those bowl caddies and pencil figures, I remember those.

"Winnie the Pooh Honey Crunch Cereal" had Pooh based toys.
                            Y'know, it might be the Jungle Book ones I'm thinking of now that you mention them. I don't even remember the Winnie the Pooh Honey Crunch cereal, but I'm guessing my mom bought it for us sometimes.

Oh yeah, Canada only. That's why I was so shocked when I finally saw them, and it was funny because I asked a Canadian collector acquaintance about these and the Tron discs shortly after and his was response was "Yeah, they're crap. What you guys didn't get them?". Go figure.
                            It's funny, but I'm guessing most Canadians don't know which of their foods are unavailable in the US and vice versa, unless you live in a border town and do a lot of grocery shopping in both countries, like I do. I'm also reminded of the differences everytime one of my American co-workers asks me to bring over some Coffee Crisps or Vachon snacks.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                              Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                              • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                              Y'know, it might be the Jungle Book ones I'm thinking of now that you mention them. I don't even remember the Winnie the Pooh Honey Crunch cereal, but I'm guessing my mom bought it for us sometimes.

It's funny, but I'm guessing most Canadians don't know which of their foods are unavailable in the US and vice versa, unless you live in a border town and do a lot of grocery shopping in both countries, like I do. I'm also reminded of the differences everytime one of my American co-workers asks me to bring over some Coffee Crisps or Vachon snacks.
                              They don't have Coffee Crisp in the USA? and I heard they don't have Ketchup chips either.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎