X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Nerd Therapy Session: Big Wheel Blues

This week, my pal Sharry is guesting the NTS spot and describes something we can all relate to, unrequited toy love (why don't you love me Stretch Monster?). Even as an adult, it's sometimes hard to get what you want.

More after the jump:

When I was a kid growing up in NYC, just about every kid on my block had a Big Wheel.

Since I lived just outside of Harlem, and bikes were a little expensive, Big Wheels were a little easier for most parents to come by. Every afternoon after school, or on Saturdays when the cartoons were over, you could always hear the clickety click sound of those wheels rolling up and down the street.

From the time I was about 5, every Christmas and birthday, I would ask for a Big Wheel. Would I get one? No! My mother was adamant, and always thought she had good reasons; "You'll outgrow it too fast", or "We don't have room to store it". The best I could hope for was to bum a ride from another kid.

A favorite game of the Big Wheel crowd was chicken. Since we lived on a hill, some kid would be standing at the bottom, while the kid on the cycle would come speeding down the hill, barely missing the first kid who would jump out of the way in the nick of time.

A few times though, I got hit by these, (when I wasn't even playing the game!), and once it even happened while I was walking w/ my mother! After that, I wasn't even allowed to mention the phrase, "Big Wheel", (though it didn't stop me from asking for one when Christmas rolled around).

The only riding toy I had when I was little was a plastic and wooden Tiger scooter that my mom got from the thrift store, hoping this would satisfy my need for a riding toy. As much as I loved that scooter, it just wasn't the same. And I couldn't even take it outside, b/c my mom was afraid someone would steal it from me.

When I was 7, I got a bike, and that was great. But since most of the kids had Big Wheels, (only the older kids had bikes), I still couldn't go riding around the block w/ my friends. Sadly, I never got my coveted Big Wheel, and it's just something that's left a little empty place inside. When I heard they were making adult Big Wheels, I thought that was great! But I was living in a studio apartment, and didn't have any place to put it.

Now that I'm living in a house, all the adult Big Wheels are sold out. It's just as well. None of the kids (or grown-ups) who live around here ride them anyway. So to all you 70s kids who had one of these beauties when you were a kid, consider yourself LUCKY!

Thanks Sharry! If you have a nerdy story that you need to get off your chest send it on down!For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Jason73
    Correctamundo!
    • Jan 11, 2009

Ahhh, Big Wheel.

Thanks for sharing that.
    Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• piecemaker
      There's no need to fear..
      • Jan 26, 2009

You are not alone,i was a 70s kid and i never got a Big Wheel.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Thanks for sharing, Sharry. I never had a Big Wheel either, nor it's cooler cousin the Green Machine. I really wanted them though. I guess we all have that one toy we really wanted as a kid and never managed to get (mine was the Kenner Alien). I didn't even know they made adult sized Big Wheels. Cool!

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Thanks guys! I'm glad someone shares my pain!
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• david_b
            Never had enough toys..
            • May 9, 2008

After 'my time'....

Like most toys, typically the ones I thought were cool, my parents told me I was too old for.

Ah.., they were probably right..
            Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Wow, I definitely expected more of a response than this! I guess the people who didn't own Big Wheels on this forum are few and far between. Oh well, I tried.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I feel for you Sharry, but I had no shortage of ride-on toys. Not to rub it in, but I had two Big Wheels to call my own, plus my sister's hand-me-downs for my friends to ride.

I like that Tiger scooter though. Ever seen one as an adult?

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

I had two Big Wheels as well. In my neighborhood everyone seemed to have them at one point, though I do recall seeing them in several different styles (knock-offs?). I had one that was official and another that was a bit smaller in size, blue and I recall it having a New York Yankees logo (sticker??) on it (hmm then again it might have been the Mets, One of the two)

Down the road from me is a round circle dead end street that in itself is a hill. This is where we all used to race them. I also remember that the main hheel would wear out eventually from pulling it's "e-brake' and skidding out. Everyone kind of used to fix with a lot of duct tape and that did the trick

It is sad that you never did get one back when you really wanted it and sadder that the adult Big Wheel alluded you again in these later years, but I enjoyed your story
                  "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    I feel for you Sharry, but I had no shortage of ride-on toys. Not to rub it in, but I had two Big Wheels to call my own, plus my sister's hand-me-downs for my friends to ride.

I like that Tiger scooter though. Ever seen one as an adult?

Chris
                    No, but it's not for lack of trying. I remember the nameplate on the handlebars said Tigr-r-r-r-r Scooter. The head was plastic, and kinda nodded a bit when it moved, (but only b/c it was a little loose), and the body was wooden, and had wheels sorta like a wagon. I had a lot of obscure stuff as kid. It was cool then, but it makes finding the stuff when you're an adult murder!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Loved my Big Wheel. Rode it hard! A friend had a Green Machine and we'd have epic races.
                      Those were the days.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• wilbs518
                        Mego Collector
                        • Jul 25, 2009

I love these Nerd Therapy Sessions!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰