X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Canada's Superhero

Finally some evidence of this shirt featuring Canada's Superhero, Captain Canuck. I've honestly been searching for an image I could use for the blog as it's almost a Nerd Therapy Session in itself.

True story, a kid in my fourth grade class had this shirt, he was one of the cooler boys so I brought in an issue of Captain Canuck (which I bought solely to impress him) in order to bond with him assuming he was a fan.

If I recall his exact words were, "Why are you showing your comics to me?".

Clearly the shirt had not been a purchase he had any say in and he wasn't even aware of the character, I felt pretty stupid. So, Captain Canuck reminds me mostly of being socially awkward. A couple of years later we bonded over my having Activision Hockey for the Atari 2600, video games were a great equalizer....
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I like the way his friend detached his left hand and placed it on his right shoulder. We were nothing if not adaptable in the 70's.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
      Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
      • Jan 22, 2008

Captain Canuck was my very first comic, probably about 1978/79, purchased for me by my grandma. I never read another issue, but it's always struck a nostalgic nerve with me nonetheless.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Holy mackerel! I though that shirt was a hallucination derived from the piles and piles of Captain Canuck they could hardly give away on discount at Biway, where my mom bought my clothes and Megos.

Which catalogue did that shirt come from? Fascinating that there was Captain Canuck licensing.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I though that shirt was a hallucination derived from the piles and piles of Captain Canuck they could hardly give away on discount at Biway,
          My biway had polybags of "Modern Comics" for decades but i do remember Captain Canuck issues there too...

Originally posted by samurainoir
          Which catalogue did that shirt come from? Fascinating that there was Captain Canuck licensing.
          Eaton's or Sears, I can't remember which but Comely even mentions the licensing deal on the captain canuck website.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

They're not fooling me with the placement of the smaller t-neck photo. The boy in the red is waaaaay too excited about Captain Canuck.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

When I hear the term 'Canada's superhero' I always think of Rocket Robinhood.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Wasn't Captain Canuck by George Freeman? He did some nice work for DC in the early 80s.

Those "Modern Comics" Charlton reprints showed up in mass at one of our local drugstores shortly before it closed in the mid 80s, after DC acquired the Charlton heroes.. Someone marked out "Modern" with a red marker.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

Was there ever a cartoon with Captain Canuck?
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                  Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Although I was certainly aware of the character, I don't believe I ever actually bought or read an issue of Captain Canuck. He just seemed kind of cheesy.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                        Hot Child in the City
                        • Jul 3, 2008

I have a set of the Captain Canuck comics somewhere, it never really appealed to me that much. It involved time travel & spies, & crime, I think it jumped around genres a lot never knowing what it wanted to be. They should have just gone the Captain America route & had him fight super-villains.

I bought it because I bought everything back then. I know it was distributed on the newsstands here with other comics from DC & Marvel.
                        I know they've tried to revive it a couple times, and there's a couple hardcover collected editions that came out last year.

I've never seen any merchandising for it? Was there any toys or figures?

Was CC really THAT big a deal in Canada? He got his own stamp!
                        Of course, we let Plastic Man have one here, so ...
                        Last edited by johnnystorm; Mar 12, '12, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

I had a fair few issues of CC back then, but strangely they were moderately hard to get hold of in Ontario... at least in the area where I lived.

I recall that the art certainly improved after the first few issues.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Neutron X
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 22, 2007

I loved Captain Canuck starting with issue 9 it got US newstand distribution. Shortly there after a comic shop opened up by me and found early issues in the Quater Pile. It had "Beyond" a great early fantasy D&D type story as a back up too! Capt. Canuck was way ahead in many terms like in coloring and taking chances. G Freeman rocked!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎