X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Nerd Therapy Session: Towel Redemption

This one takes place in 1977 and involves vacationing, towels, a slightly embarrassing confession and I guess an overall reluctance to grow up. Go figure on the last one....

More after the jump:

On Christmas morning 1977, my parents woke me up at 4am and threw me (and my newly acquired Oscar Goldman doll plus several volumes of peanuts books) into the car and made the 24 drive to Florida.

That particular trip has not only given me a lifelong love for the state but a penchant for hopping the border. The states was like visiting Valhalla for seven year old me. American's had different candy, their toy stores were bigger and all that stuff I`d seen on channel 29? They had it!

I vividly remember sitting in a dumpy motel room in Miami eating "cookie crisp" and watching a rerun of "HR Pufnstuf" thinking I'd died and gone to heaven.

Orlando especially seemed like some sort of Technicolor wonderland what with Disney world, the mold-a-rama machines at rest areas and the various touristy bric-a-brac shops, it just captivated me. That's where this story takes place.

You see, mom forgot to pack our towels and that meant we had to drive to one of those "beach junk" shops to pick some up. I remember the store had a towel with this image in the window.

Oh yeah, that's the towel for me, the "New Adventures of Batman" was my favourite show at the time and it looked exactly like the Mego doll box. Only one problem:

"I'm sorry we're all out of Batman" said the clerk, which my mother then turned to me and said "They're all out of Batman" like I didn't hear it the first time. I immediately said "Superman" because well, he's just as good and I could see that one hanging in the window.

The clerk countered "uhhh, we're out of Superman, all i have is Wonder Woman" and my mother again, repeated exactly that. In a knee jerk reaction, I said "Ok" but immediately regretted that decision.

The best picture i could find of it.

I spent that entire vacation laying on that towel making sure to cover every inch of that image, lest someone saw my shame. At the time, I couldn't begin to figure out why I felt this way, I was thousands of miles away from anyone I knew.

What I realize now, is that it wasn't that I didn't like Wonder Woman, far from it, it was because I had a crush on her. I wanted that towel.

Oh and don't assume it's because of Linda Carter, that's a safe bet but not the case. This was the apple of my eye in 1977:

Yup, you're looking at one of my first loves, Superfriends Wonder Woman. Who can blame me. She's probably the reason I've always been a fan of the brunette. (image borrowed from http://www.hannabarberaworld.blogspot.com/)

The towel lasted me decades and eventually just disappeared around college (I still have a terrible, raggedy Star Wars one I can't bear to throw away). So it brought me great joy last year to find this on Ebay, my number two choice finally in my possession. Eventually I'll track down all three, how I'll display them I do not know......

Thanks for reading, if you have a bit of nerd shame you'd like to face please send it on down.For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

Love that Batman one

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Those Superhero towels are cool. I had a cute one "The Ole Swimming Hole" w/ a family jumping in a lake. Everyone else in the family used bath towels. These days I have Star Trek TNG, Bionic Woman, and The New Zoom.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

My first loves/crushes would be Electra Woman and Dynagirl. At seven years old I was already planning a threesome. I almost talked my mother into buying me some pajamas with their image. That would have gone over so well at sleepovers. Not sure which one I got, could have been Super Friends or Starsky and Hutch.
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Random Axe
          My first loves/crushes would be Electra Woman and Dynagirl.
          That was another show I never missed.

When Markie Post (my 80s "I know what I'm doing" crush) did that pilot and wore the EW outfit, I thought I dreamt it.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• HardyGirl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
            That was another show I never missed.

When Markie Post (my 80s "I know what I'm doing" crush) did that pilot and wore the EW outfit, I thought I dreamt it.
            I have that pilot, as well as the rest of the show on tape. I just watched the first Pharoah ep yesterday.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

What possessed your family to start a long road trip to Florida early Christmas morning? Did you open your presents the night before, or while you were in the car?

I always loved those trips to the US too (all my relatives on my mom's side live in the US, so we got to go a lot). Bigger toy stores, with a better selection, and all the cool junk food you couldn't get in Canada at the time (including my favourite, Pringles!)

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Ah, Wonder Woman. She's always been a conundrum for straight male comic fans. We all love her, but we fear that love being exposed. I remember buying her comic for the Huntress back-ups in the early 80s and hoping and praying no one would ever notice me as I snuck them away from the drugstore register.

Great story as always. Gotta love any beach towel with Murphy Anderson artwork though!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Actorman
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Oct 4, 2010

I had that same Wonder Woman beach towel as a kid. It disappeared several decades back, but I would love to find one again. That is my absolute favorite Wonder Woman image of all time. It was used on several different products in the 70s.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                    To Fear is Not Logical...
                    • Feb 17, 2008

No Aquaman towels, huh? And that would sort of make sense, near the beach and all.
                    It's all good!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

I've also been in love with Wonder Woman since I was a kid. And Supergirl and Batgirl for that matter!

I still have a vintage Superman towel I used to take to the beach, but it has a different design than that one.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Splitty
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 25, 2012

That's so weird that guys have no problem admitting they had a crush, or more often, in love with a cartoon woman.

As a kid I had a hidden private mad crush on Johny Quest's Race Bannon, and I was like *** is wrong with me? That's a fictional cartoon!
                        Worse, I had the hankerin's for Thundercat's Panthro as well, and that was a friggin' cat. I wondered if I needed therapy.

I guess not.
                        I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• starsky
                          veteran member
                          • Aug 26, 2007

great story!!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

I just got an e-mail from Pottery Barn Kids. They have Batman and Spidey beach towels, if anyone's interested!

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Splitty
                              Worse, I had the hankerin's for Thundercat's Panthro as well, and that was a friggin' cat. I wondered if I needed therapy.
                              I discovered one night at a bar that a lot of my friends watched Thundercats for Cheetara when they were 15 (self included). Some of them didn't even like comics or cartoons.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎