X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Lost Season Finale

I don't know if anyone else is still watching Lost...I know it's lost (no pun intended) viewers over the last year. But I totally enjoyed the season finale! Even though I had read detailed spoilers on the episode I think this is the one season finale cliffhanger I was really looking forward to and I can't say I was disappointed (unlike the boring end to "24").
    Only 48 pieces of the mosiac left to go!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

Love the show... Loved the finale. It turned the whole thing upside down. Best show on TV period.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Dave Mc
      Administrator
      • Oct 20, 2002

I enjoyed the first season. Started hating the show the 2nd season, but watched because my wife watched. I felt they had "lost" their way, and that there really was no master plan.

I still think that, but I think they recovered with season 3 and came up with a master plan to tie all this stuff together.

All in all, season 3 was much better than the last and I started enjoying it again.

As for 24, even the writers admit they didn't have the season planned out, just winged it from week to week and it really showed. Really, I don't watch the show anymore for plot, but there needs to be at least a small attempt at it to keep it all together. This season didn't even have that. The best way to watch 24 is to read the Dave Barry Blog while watching. Makes it so much more enjoyable.

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

Loved it.

I have a few questions/spoilers for those of you that have been watching that I haven't figured out yet.

1. I am guessing that the reason all of the children have been kidnapped that arrive on the island is that all pregnant women who conceive on the island die along with the child and they need a younger generation to continue whatever the purpose of the Dharma initiative is

2. I didn't quite follow the Jack backflash story and must have missed an episode or so that explained it. *Spoiler Alert*- So I know Jack's first wife left him I think because he put his medical career before anything else and if I remember right, she had an affair with his father. Where I missed the story line is how Jack became an alcoholic, drug addicted mess. His ex-wife was pregnant...not sure if she remarried and the casket (was that his dad?) I thought his dad died in Sydney and that was his purpose for going there (to pick up the remains and bring it back to the States). The big surprise was that Kate and Jack knew each other and had a relationship prior to the crash. What I couldn't figure out was did Kate and Jack have some type of romantic relationship or did Jack hire Kate to murder his father....that's where I got lost on the story.

3. The whole Hurley thing with the car was kind of goofy. My kids who have been watching the show, literally laughed when it happened. It just didn't make sense to write that in during a pretty dramatic scene.

4. I somehow missed the episode regarding John Locke's association with "the others". I don't know why he was willing to keep whatever secret was going on despite being left for dead by the other's leader.

5. Anyone care to venture a guess about this mysterious boat? Are they really there to help find them or there to harm.

6. I still haven't figured out what is going on with Desmond. Is he good or bad? Why did his girlfriend show up on the transmission when the transmitting blocker turned off?

I have only missed a few episodes out of the entire series and still feel "Lost".
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

I really enjoyed this season as opposed to last season. Last season was such a big letdown. I think this year they've taken some of the viewers comment to heart and changed things up. Enjoyed last night's show a lot!

Comment

• Dave Mc
            Administrator
            • Oct 20, 2002

Originally posted by starbuk
            Those weren't Flashbacks ,those were Glimpses of the FUTURE.
            If they were glimpses of the future (which is what I thought as well) then how come Jack references going to his fathers office to see if he is more drunk than Jack? Dad is dead. So is this a future glimpse? Jack's Dad is back alive? An alternate past?

We got this entire weird timeshift thing going on with Desmond, so there is no telling what the heck we saw there.

Comment

• lepage
              The Ape General
              • Aug 12, 2001

I had borrowed season one from some friends a while back and watched about half way through when I discovered that one of the disks was corrupt so rather then skip those episodes, I didnt bother with the rest.
              I am sure one day I will get to see it from the beginnign but what I would like to know is, In the begining, There were a few people inside the plane wreckage when something (creature?) snatched a guy out of the plane from above.
              What was it anyone know?

Dave

Comment

• JDeRouen
                Author of Small Things
                • Jun 14, 2001

A weird alternate future where Jack's father didn't die? (But then why would he have flown to Australia to begin with, since he went there to recover his father's body?) If it's the "real" future, was he alive all along? Remember, in season one, Jack spotted his father on the island. Did the island bring him back to life?

Who was in the coffin bugged me as well. Locke? And Kate said she had to go soon, he was waiting for her. Sawyer?

I enjoyed the episode, but, as always, was way frustrated by the lack of promised answers.

And Charlie. He sure looked dead to me, but we didn't actually see him die. Could he have swam out of the window and up to freedom after that final shot? Michel arrived wearing an oxygen tank. Could Desmond have quickly strapped it on, dove down, swam around, pulled Charlie out through the window, and shared the oxygen with him? (Yes, I know it's a stretch.)
                He (the actor, Dominic Monaghan) is a fairly big draw to the show, so I kind of find it hard to believe that they'd really kill him off.

Next season, I've heard, will start in January 2008 and run straight through like 24, sans interruptions. (So will Heroes!) Seems like a great idea to me, because the breaks mid-season are when they seem to lose most viewers. And I'll be mightily unhappy if the show ends up getting cancelled before they can explain all this!

Joe
                --
                Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

Jack was drunk and tripping (literally) on oxycontin, so I wouldn't put much stock in what he babbled about his dad. Also, the funeral home's name was Hoffs Drawler, which is an anagram for Flash Forward.. neato. The producer's promised a dramatic change in the show's structure/narrative, and I guess we got one!

A noble end for Charlie, but I was sad to see it. I liked the guy. Who knows if it really is the end tho, obviously.. I thought the Hurley scene was great.. I knew something heroic was in store for him after Sawyer condescendingly refused his offer of help.

All in all I enjoyed the finale, as I enjoyed all of this year. Looking forward for the new season in Feb 2008..

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Joe, ABC announced a few weeks ago Lost would run uninterrupted seasons from February-May starting in 2008, and ending with the show's conclusion in 2010. So that's three more definite seasons.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Heh...didn't catch that "Hoffs Drawler" reference...pretty cool.

Couple points:

1) Jack mentioning going to see his father: either the Oxy he was on caused babbling OR since we never saw Christian Shephard's body on the island, only ghost images, maybe he does turn up alive at some point. After all, there is more story to tell.

2) I liked the Hurley in the van sequence, especially his offer to help was turned down twice recently (last night with Sawyer and last week with Charlie). Go Hugo!

3) Charlie's death, after weeks of teasing about it, was very cool! Not that I wanted to see him go, but I like the way the character has grown-up...from junkie to hero! Last week's episode "Greatest Hits" and this one were a nice send-off for the character. In TV Guide last week Dominic Monaghan said it would be Charlie's finest hour and he was right. Who else but a musician could've played the "Good Vibrations" code without batting an eye? All the way to the very end with the sharpie scribbled "Not Penny's Boat" message...classic send-off.

4) I'm inclined to think it's either Sawyer in the coffin (Kate wouldn't go because a) something goes down that we're obviously unaware of yet OR b) he abandons their child).... or Ben (again, not sure what may go down in the future but the possibility exists that he and Jack may become allies against whatever new threat is brewing off shore 18 miles)

5) Kate has to get back to someone...most assume Sawyer but I'm thinking it's her/Sawyer's kid. Which would place Sawyer in the coffin.

In the begining, There were a few people inside the plane wreckage when something (creature?) snatched a guy out of the plane from above.
                      What was it anyone know?
                      The would be the "island's security system"...the Smoke Monster. Speaking of which...

6) I'm sure that was Smokey in Walt form and not actually Walt himself.

7) John got info from someone (Jacob?) about Jack, Naomi and the phone call... "That's not the way this is supposed to happen". Hmmmmm.....not just a throwaway line I'm sure.

8) I felt bad for Jack, wanting to go back...to the point he's jet-setting hoping the plane will crash. So....did everyone get off the island or only a select few? Obviously he left unfinished business and since he always needs to "fix" things he has to go back.

9) The show began/takes place in 2004, correct? They've only been on the island 90 days or so. Yet the flashforward takes place 2-3 years after that (they focused on his new Razr phone quite a bit)? So where exactly does the flashforward fit in the complete chronology of the series? Could it be closer to the final episode of the series? That would mean they don't immediately get off the island once Season 4 starts up in Feb.
                      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Adam West
                        Museum CPA
                        • Apr 14, 2003

The flashforward scenario is interesting. It answers some questions but opens others (as usual). Now I understand the "golden pass" or whatever Jack was referring to that basically allowed him to fly anywhere he wanted in the world for free...I guess that was Oceanic's way of saying I'm sorry for the crash. But I got totally thrown off by the mention of the father as though he were still alive and the coffin appeared to be the same type of wood coffin as in season 1. The other confusing part is the flashback sequences were often used in conjunction with a memory and as they came back to real time on the island it appeared as though you were catching a glimpse of the character's thought of the flashback.

Last night, it appeared the same way because when they went back to the island Jack had a look on his face as though you were witnessing his thought which if a flashforward would be impossible....or would it?

I am also very confused about the whole smokey mist/ Jacob thing. Is this a real entity or part of some experiment that the leader of the others is one of the few or only in the know. Are the figures showing up, Jack's Dad, John Locke's dad (who actually showed up and John killed) really them or just a figure that looks like them and how do the others know so much about every survivor including their entire life stories?

I was thinking that Walt was real and that all of the children are being kidnapped because of the problem that nobody can conceive a child and survive while on the island so that the others, Dharma initiative or whatever it is raising another generation of people to take over the initiative once the other generation dies off. Walt could have been placed through some major brain reprogramming so he just carries out orders now like the rest of them.

Well now my interest has totally piqued again. I'll have to go back and watch all 3 seasons in its entirety so I can pick up on all the subtle nuiances that I missed first time around.
                        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                          Stays Crunchy in Milk
                          • Aug 2, 2004

Here's a couple thoughts...

Is Jack just crazy or is his dad alive? Did he ever find his Dad's body on the island? he saw his dad walking around. Was his dad bitten by one of those spiders that paralize you that they introduced this season?

The time line from the flashforward could be the possible outcome. Desmond may not have followed Charlie underwater in one timeline, hence not having the warning that parachute girl was not sent from Penny. Desmond and Charlie may have altered the future.

Can Desmond get Charlie out and revive him?

Comment

• Adam West
                            Museum CPA
                            • Apr 14, 2003

I'm pretty sure his dad is dead. I think in Season 1, there was a flashback of him identifying his dad's dead body in Sydney and his reason for being there in the first place was to identify the body and transfer it back to the States.

In an earlier episode this season, if you recall, Ben (the leader of the others) saw his mother walking around (she was on the other side of the security fence) but she had died years earlier (not even on the island) and after her death that's when Ben's father took Ben to the island as one of the first participants of the Dharma project.

I believe other people who have already died (Ethan, one of the others) was seen alive during an episode after he was already killed and maybe a few others.

I'm wondering how Mikhail was able to survive a spear gun shot that hit him at least in a lung and possibly his heart, get out with scuba gear and let off a hand grenade? Would a hand grenade of that type (looked like a WWII type grenade) even work underwater about 50-100 feet below the water surface and wouldn't he have died as well since I can't imagine that he would have been able to swim away fast enough?
                            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                              Stays Crunchy in Milk
                              • Aug 2, 2004

Originally posted by Adam West
                              I'm pretty sure his dad is dead. I think in Season 1, there was a flashback of him identifying his dad's dead body in Sydney and his reason for being there in the first place was to identify the body and transfer it back to the States.

In an earlier episode this season, if you recall, Ben (the leader of the others) saw his mother walking around (she was on the other side of the security fence) but she had died years earlier (not even on the island) and after her death that's when Ben's father took Ben to the island as one of the first participants of the Dharma project.

I believe other people who have already died (Ethan, one of the others) was seen alive during an episode after he was already killed and maybe a few others.

I'm wondering how Mikhail was able to survive a spear gun shot that hit him at least in a lung and possibly his heart, get out with scuba gear and let off a hand grenade? Would a hand grenade of that type (looked like a WWII type grenade) even work underwater about 50-100 feet below the water surface and wouldn't he have died as well since I can't imagine that he would have been able to swim away fast enough?
                              I know that many dead people are seen walking around on the island, but remember the couple that were bitten by the spider? They appeared to be dead and they buried them alive. They weren't dead. When Jack first gets to Sidney his dad is missing, but then turns up dead while he's there. Jack is in a hurry to get his dad back to the states. Was an atopsy done? That I can't remember, but I remember he was in a hurry to leave and argues his way on the plane. I can't remember the time period that the spider bites leave you paralized, and I may be wrong, but I think it's plausible.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎