X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerry68
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 12, 2008

Drop the Retro Tag Already, Thoughts?

I think If everone dropped the Retro tagline from the 8" new figures it may attract more interest and sales. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    sigpic
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

If they were approached in the way ZICA made their Buck Rogers figures, I'd think that would really work. However, as long as the figures are repros and/or the quality is still at the 1970s level, they really still do seem retro.

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
      Mighty Man/Monster Maker
      • Aug 14, 2007

Ya'know, I think you might be right. I mean, "retro" is sort of creating an artificial nostalgia. Either you were into the 8 inch/cloth thing or you weren't, but nobody who wasn't isn't going to suddenly flock to it because it is "old school", right? Barbie has been around forever, but it has evolved with the times. There are "retro/repro" Barbies, but they also have cutting edge stuff. Wait, did I just compare remegos with Barbies? Thank God I'm not in charge of one of these companies!

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
      https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• jimsmegos
        Mego Dork
        • Nov 9, 2008

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm of the mindset that outside of the reproduction lines such as Trek or any of the other original Mego properties they should be left to stand on their own merit. After the failed attempt by the Mattel marketing depart, retro is almost an insult in some respects. The new 8 inch product coming out is new and fresh and from companies that may have been inspired by Mego but are not completely stuck in the 70's.

Thinking about the term "Re-Mego" that's a little different. IMO the term was created by and for lovers of the Mego style (read:us) and the rest of the world has no clue.

Comment

• Jerry68
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 12, 2008

If the 1/6 market was termed Retro 12", then that market would tend to suffer. I know we can't compare most of them to Hot Toys, sideshow etc. zica on the other hand was every bit as good as the big dogs in the 12" market. It that trend keeps up we might see a spike in sales and interest.
          sigpic

Comment

• livnxxxl
            Megoholic RocketScientist
            • Oct 23, 2007

I don't know. I have a mixed feelings on it. I know the term retro was used by Mattel as a marketing ploy that unfortunately ended up leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths due to their failed attempt.

On the other hand I think IF a person really true wants to buy something it really would not matter what you label it or call it as long as the quality is there.
            Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Jerry68
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 12, 2008

I thought the same thing until I was in the isle at toys r us and heard a kid say to his Dad "These faces look stupid." The kid then went and got one of the 6" Marvel figures.
              sigpic

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                70's Era Pimp
                • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by Jerry68
                I thought the same thing until I was in the isle at toys r us and heard a kid say to his Dad "These faces look stupid." The kid then went and got one of the 6" Marvel figures.

Well, the kid not liking the faces is a far cry from not liking the word "retro". Seriously, I don't care what they call them. Let's see some good quality new figures. I don't need repros. I want a Hawkman!

I don't honestly think the term is/was a deterrent in buying the RA Line.

Comment

• Jerry68
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 12, 2008

It's not just the term Retro, It's the goofy faces, bad distribution, etc. all this together really hurt the line. I would like to see a "mass market push for the 1/9 scale. I think it would work. I remember watching the commercials as a kid and bugging my Mom every time we went to woolworths or Kmart, whatever. The kids today do the same thing, but they do it with what they see on T.V.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                    70's Era Pimp
                    • Sep 7, 2011

I have a hard time complaining too much about the faces. I would have liked a more "real" look to them, but some of them were still amazing. Overall, just really glad to have what I have.

With the knowledge that the Mattel RA line is done, if it ever gets started back up again, I think a few changes will happen that reflect the majority feel on what has been done. They will improve on them.....again, that's IF they ever start it back up. Big IF!

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 24, 2009

On one hand, the Retro term gave me a way to describe my hobby. I used to tell people I like to customize Mego action figures. I would usually get a blank stare in response. With the term 'Retro' I would say I customize Retro 70's style action figures. People still had no idea what I meant, but could associate with the '70's' part. On the other hand, in order for our hobby to survive, I think these figures need to lose the retro and try to appeal to a broader audience. Perhaps the push should be to call these '1/9 scale figures' or '8 inch figures' much like the 1/6 market is known for it's scale or as 12 inch figures.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Beyond nostalgia figures that mimic or evoke the Superheroes and Trek's of our youth as well as wish list of retro properties such as BSG or six million dollar man, I think it's time to rebrand as the 1/9th scale figure hobby to take a page from the 1/6th hobby, who have evolved past the retro of GI Joe and AT.

PArticularly since Zica and now DST look to be going the sideshow/Hot Toys route... Using it hopefully to fill in that mid price range of under $50, now that 12" has priced themselves out of the casual ballpark.
                        Last edited by samurainoir; Mar 4, '12, 2:37 PM.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• BlackKnight
                          The DarkSide Customizer
                          • Apr 16, 2005

I hate the Term Retro When Used in Describing Action Figures Made Today. Gimme as Much Detail, Likeness, posability and Weaponry as Possible and Keep Retro away from my 2012 Action figures.
                          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Jerry68
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 12, 2008

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                            I hate the Term Retro When Used in Describing Action Figures Made Today. Gimme as Much Detail, Likeness, posability and Weaponry as Possible and Keep Retro away from my 2012 Action figures.
                            This is what I'm saying. Lets make it 1/9 or 8" figures.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I think putting the word "Retro" in the actual product name is pretty dumb. Why Mattel changed WGSH to Retro-Action at the last minute is beyond me. Also, thrown-together, crappy off-set printing isn't a way to instill confidence in a product.

I think that harkening back to the past can be mentioned in press materials, but I agree that "retro" may be to stigmatic for a toy line.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎