• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boywonder0
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Mego Like DC Direct Deluxe Collector Figures

Happy New Year All!

I'm new to this forum and don't know how much talk there had been, if any, regarding the DC Direct Deluxe Collector Figures line. These are Mego Like 13 inch figures that incorporate some of the best DC hero head sculpts, one of the best muscular and poseable base bodies out there, incredibly acurrate cloth costumes and some of them even come with great accesories (i.e. GL came with a Green Lantern that actually lights on and GA is comming with a wide array of crime fighting arrows). In my humble opinion this line is the greatest Mego Like DC hero renditions ever.

I'm a perennial Mego fan and collector pretty much like every one around here. Its been a blessing to have many of the Mego lines re-issued by some other companies recently:

CTVT: WGSPirates, WGSKnights, WGWestern Heroes, WGMerry Men (Robin Hood), WGMad Monsters, Happy Days, etc.

EMCE Toys: Star Trek and Planet Of the Apes on plans.

Hasbro: 9 inch Signature Series DC Heroes (great head sculpts and costumes but lack the Mego magic with the sewn on cloth costumes and molded boots and gloves). They now own the Marvel license and rights and have done several 9 inch Signature Series Marvel Hero lines (Spiderman Origins, Marvel Legends, etc.). They look great and are compatible to the DC heroes, but again lack the Mego magic.

Toy Biz: Famous Covers did have the Mego magic (removable masks, gloves, boots, costumes, etc.) but awful (and small) head sculpts, ordinary bodies, ordinary gloves, ordinary boots and ordinary masks.

But we still lack re-issues of Mego 8 inch DC (or Marvel) heroes. Until the day that miracle happens, the DC Direct Deluxe Collector line will come to fill that empty spot in my life (for DC heroes. I don't really care that much about Marvel heroes). I invite you to check them, if you have not already at the below links:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_061305a.htm

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_113007a.htm

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_100906a.htm

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_060407a.htm

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_102407a.htm

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_041706b.htm

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=80&itemid=8363

http://flickr.com/photos/shaunwong/c...7600830884633/

I hope you become, if you are not already a fan of theses figures, and I invite you to comment on them on this thread... Until then, later.

Boy
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

I'm a big fan of the 13" figures too. PowerGirl is hitting stores now, & she looks great.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Overkill
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 19, 2007

I'm saving up for one of those 13'' Robins that are due sometime later.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Those are really nice,I really dig the Manhunter
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Action Martin
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 30, 2007

Those large DCD figures are nice looking but well out of my price range for new action figures/toys. Truth to tell, I'm still balking at the prices for the Sideshow Planet of the Apes 12" figures.
          Scott

Comment

• Boywonder0
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by Overkill
            I'm saving up for one of those 13'' Robins that are due sometime later.
            I really look forward to that Robin. I have waited so long for a Mego-like Robin this good. The Mego 8 inch Robin have the Mego charm but the poor is so ugly. The Mego 9.5 inch and the Mego 12 inch Robins look much better (well, the Non Magnetic Robin; a Magnetic Robin makes no sense at all) but we all know they lack realistic likeness. Still, the 9.5 inch Robin is the jewel crown in my Mego collection. The Hasbro 9 inch Robin (from the Signature Series Golden Age Dynamic Duo box set) came out to relief my pain with a good looking head sculpt but (there is always a but) the figure had an awful skinny body (plus the molded and non removable gloves and boots).

So I have a lot of expectations on this DC Direct 1:6 scale Robin. From the previews on the DC Direct web site, he seems to have a pretty decent head sculpt with great resemblance to a pre-adult Dick Grayson (combed to the side and no cowlicks). He will sport a removable mask. Wow, removable mask. When was the last time we saw that? 1972? The only thing that bugs me a little is the eye holes. I really think the mask should have no holes but the painted white eyes instead just like in the Green Lantern mask. I have pre ordered two of these figures. One to keep in box and the other to display. Keep your eyes peeled for this figure in schedule to be released in February 2008...

Boy

Comment

• Hotfoot
              Dazed and Confused
              • Dec 30, 2007

HMMMM!

Cat Woman might make a good Vampirella custom!

DC Direct 13 Inch Catwoman - a photoset on Flickr
              Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

• Overkill
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 19, 2007

Originally posted by Boywonder0
                I really look forward to that Robin. I have waited so long for a Mego-like Robin this good. The Mego 8 inch Robin have the Mego charm but the poor is so ugly. The Mego 9.5 inch and the Mego 12 inch Robins look much better (well, the Non Magnetic Robin; a Magnetic Robin makes no sense at all) but we all know they lack realistic likeness. Still, the 9.5 inch Robin is the jewel crown in my Mego collection. The Hasbro 9 inch Robin (from the Signature Series Golden Age Dynamic Duo box set) came out to relief my pain with a good looking head sculpt but (there is always a but) the figure had an awful skinny body (plus the molded and non removable gloves and boots).

So I have a lot of expectations on this DC Direct 1:6 scale Robin. From the previews on the DC Direct web site, he seems to have a pretty decent head sculpt with great resemblance to a pre-adult Dick Grayson (combed to the side and no cowlicks). He will sport a removable mask. Wow, removable mask. When was the last time we saw that? 1972? The only thing that bugs me a little is the eye holes. I really think the mask should have no holes but the painted white eyes instead just like in the Green Lantern mask. I have pre ordered two of these figures. One to keep in box and the other to display. Keep your eyes peeled for this figure in schedule to be released in February 2008...

Boy
                I figured you'd be excited for this Robin figure as well (based on your username, Boy Wonder ) I don't mind the eye holes in the figure (Since that's how he looks in The New Teen Titans, and I like those stories) But I think it would of been smart of them to have two masks included, the eye holes, and the whited out eyes. I mean Nightwing got two masks right? Why not Robin? Especially since the whited out eyes is the classic look.

Also, not only is this great 13'' Robin coming out, but the second wave of The New Teen Titans figures as well, and the pre-adult Robin is in there as well. The figure has a pretty good sculpt too. It's not Mego-esque, but for $14, it's a nice figure to add to your collection. I already have the set of NTT figures on preorder, so I can check that Robin off my list. Now I just need to preorder the 13'' one.

Here's a picture of the NTT Robin figure coming out if you haven't seen it yet.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                  MeGoing
                  • May 14, 2003

The DC Direct 13 inchers are my latest loves, I got Catwoman for Christmas, and Powergirl is on her way for my birthday. I also have Aquaman, Batgirl, and of course Superman. Flash is also on his way

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Welcome Aboard BoyWonder0 if you look at some of the older threads you will see that we have spoken about the 13 inch figures and many of us do collect them. I personally love them and have a few of them....That said they are a bit on the expensive side not as expensive as Medicom or Hot toys but when you pop them out back to back it does get expensive.

This Line is really cool but compared to Megos....Megos still have this line beat.Megos were not expensive and it was a toy you could really have fun with.The 8 inch size is ideal not too big not too small. The 13 figures are really meant for show. I don't see too many parents buying their nine year olds a expensive action figures to play with.

Also Mego did both Marvel and DC which made it Unique.Plus there is Nostalgia attached with Mego....Many of the Guys can tell you when and where they were the very first time they received their first Mego. I doubt there will be a nostalgia for these figures.

I'm also waiting for DC Direct to eventually drop the ball and Cancel the line....3 Batman figures 3 Superman figures....0 Wonder Woman so far.0 Supergirl.......
                    Last edited by kingdom warrior; Jan 5, '08, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

The price point is killing it for me, too. If I paid 50 or 60 bucks a pop for them, I'd be afraid to tuch them.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Boywonder0
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by Overkill
                        I figured you'd be excited for this Robin figure as well (based on your username, Boy Wonder ) I don't mind the eye holes in the figure (Since that's how he looks in The New Teen Titans, and I like those stories) But I think it would of been smart of them to have two masks included, the eye holes, and the whited out eyes. I mean Nightwing got two masks right? Why not Robin? Especially since the whited out eyes is the classic look.

Also, not only is this great 13'' Robin coming out, but the second wave of The New Teen Titans figures as well, and the pre-adult Robin is in there as well. The figure has a pretty good sculpt too. It's not Mego-esque, but for $14, it's a nice figure to add to your collection. I already have the set of NTT figures on preorder, so I can check that Robin off my list. Now I just need to preorder the 13'' one.

Here's a picture of the NTT Robin figure coming out if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.dccomics.com/media/products/8580_a_full.jpg
                        Yeap! Thanks for the pic! I have not been able to pre order him yet, but I will. Robin is the only Non Mego-Like figure I collect from DC Direct. You did figure it out wisely. Robin is my all time favorite hero. He earned the stripes from me while leading the Classic Teen Titans. I have all Robin figures so far and consider the DCD Silver Age Robin (that came with Batman in a boxed set) the very best. IMO the NTT Robin figure is a smaller non Mego Like tribute the 13 inch figure.

Regarding the mask eye holes, no big deal. It will be great if DC Direct provides two masks, one with, and the other without; just like you said for Nightwing. But if they don't, I can always figure out to clog and paint the eye holes on the one figure I do remove from the box. Thank you dude! Keep me posted on anything Robin...

Boy

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          Alan Scott is the best GL
                          • Aug 8, 2007

they are really well sculpted but out of scale with - almost 1.5 inches taller mego 12" (skinny) bodies and about a half head taller than the muscel bound 12-13" megos in case you decide to open one to display it.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            The price point is killing it for me, too.
                            Ditto...
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Needless to say, I'm chomping at the bit for the Robin. I have all the other non-movie ones so far, with Batman and Batgirl on their way. I REALLY love this line, and the quality is worth the money to me.

Now that I have all the WGSH (barring the Alter Egos), I REALLY want that 9 1/2 Robin.

Welcome aboard Boywonder0!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎