X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

Rack toy Recollection.

A little story of my favorite rack toy experiences. Others may have simular tales and may share with the group. As the rack toy book mentioned here has kinda resurrected these memories. Here goes...

Part of the routine on my childhood was to attend church late sundays with my Father and Sister. My Mother was usually absent as she worked niteshift and my older Brothers just refused. My sister and I were not old enough to evoke this privilage. Most evenings on our return trip home. My Father had to stop at a small family market to restock supplies. This was before the onset of the Super Markets. We would arrive just in time before closing, but the owner would always allow the time needed for my Dad to grab a few necessities. This store offered little to interest kids, except 2 circular rack of cheap toys. I remember these were usually filled with oddball toys like Bullwinkle or Popeye playset items. (You know, toys inspired by cartoon characters that have'nt seen air time in over 20 years.) Dick Tracy Dart guns or bagged Army men. On rare occassions they would have something interesting. On at least 2 occassions they had the AHI friction cycles. One time it was Batman and later it would be Spiderman. (Thanks to PlaidStallions for helping to ID these lost toy Memories for me!!!)

Dad was a great guy and would reward our good behavior with one of these low priced toy items. Those few hours left before having to sleep and ready ourselves for school were always happier thanks to these toy items. I fondly remember speeding Batman and later Spidey about the livingroom. Then removing the rubberery like figure from the cycle for action. Thier premolded cycle riding position didnt decrease thier playablity. It was printed on the rear of the cardboard packaging that it could be used as a ramp. Once opened though. The packaging was quickly discarded. My guess is Dad was hiding the evidence of this impulse buy.

Funny I can remember these play items more clearly and fondly than most of the higher priced items I recieved on Christmas's or Birthday's.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Great story! I use to get the AHI Batmobiles and even had me the ever rare Ghost Rider stunt cycle. I repurchased that about 18 months ago and sits proudly in his original package today. Great memories.

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
      Career Member
      • Nov 27, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
      Great story! I use to get the AHI Batmobiles and even had me the ever rare Ghost Rider stunt cycle. I repurchased that about 18 months ago and sits proudly in his original package today. Great memories.
      Don't you just love that. Awesome.
      If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎