X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

Test Tube Alien toys

Normally this would be posted under "modern toys", but I think the post will benefit more so under classic toys for a reason which I will explain below (unless the mods end up moving it in which you are now see this under "modern toys)

I was at Target the other day and had to wait for some film I brought in to develop. I went to the toy aisle and found these cool toy figures called "test Tube Aliens". Now it seems the ones I did see where series 2 (and in the link below).

Long story short: they hatch inside the test tube and are kind of a "virtual pet".

However what really got my attention though was the design for the series 2 figures. When looking at them all I could see were the 1960's and 1970's rubber alien dime store creatures that many of us have found memories of (and why I thought it would do more good to put the posting here)

In fact I might pick up one or two of them just for the design alone. I could care less about "raising them" and spending time with that

Am I off the mark on this one or when looking at them do they have that strong 60's/70's resemblance I am thinking of?

link for them at Toysrus:

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index....S/2254197&sr=1
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

These are super duper cool. I would have bought at least one. I think the designs look pretty modern though, but I dunno, looking at old 40's 50's sci-fi mags some of the aliens were pretty out there. I feel modern monster/alien design seems to be more influence by existing insects/animals.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

didn't they have some of these in the 80's?
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by toys2cool
        didn't they have some of these in the 80's?
        if they did have something like them I never saw it

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
        These are super duper cool. I would have bought at least one. I think the designs look pretty modern though, but I dunno, looking at old 40's 50's sci-fi mags some of the aliens were pretty out there. I feel modern monster/alien design seems to be more influence by existing insects/animals.
        Myself, I still see a late 60's look to them, but yeah I might have to at least get one and see how it works.

Comment

• Big Jim of Georgia
          • Jan 21, 2011

There was a line called "GERMS" in the 80s or 90s.

Comment

• mazinz
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by Big Jim of Georgia
            There was a line called "GERMS" in the 80s or 90s.

never saw them before, but found this website. Similar but more "cartoonish"

http://www.inthe80s.com/toys/germs0.shtml

Comment

• actionplus
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 15, 2005

Comment

• Godzilla
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 3, 2002

On man I loved the germs!
                Mortui Vivos Docent
                The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

ok picked up "Nash" from the second series today (Target has a mild price reduction on them, instead of $15 they were 12)

They still remind of of the older Topps rubber Uglies series of the 60's, that can be found here:
                  http://www.normansaunders.com/RUgly,01.html

so here is a rough attempt to give an idea of how I am seeing it (with altering in photoshop) and to me it looks like the series 2 aliens could fit in with the Topp's Rubber Uglies line as far as design went. Either way if I do not kill this thing over night will post some pics when it "hatches"

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎