Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lead on brave adventurer your quest awaits.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Lead on brave adventurer your quest awaits.

There has been surprisingly little toys made from Dragon's Lair considering how long the game has continued to stay popular. It was just very recently ported to Android.

Here's Mordroc, Singe, Dirk and Daphne by Anjon Toys from 2002. They were released to coincide with the Dragon's Lair 3D game. The figures are beautifully sculpted and came with a large amount of nicely done accessories. They were also well articulated for the time. Singe, for example, has two additional hidden joints in his tail and it's also bendy at the tip. The only problem I have with them is Daphne cannot stand without her coin base.

There was second series planned that would have included The Thorn Lord, Lizard King, Giddy Goons and Dragon Essense Dirk but were never made.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

I remember playing the arcade version once. It seemed unresponcive during game play. That was it for me. I appriciated the attempt at new tech but had to admit it wasnt quite there at the time.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

The original arcade game probably was more fun to watch than to play. It could be very unforgiving. Especially if it wasn't properly maintained. I didn't get very far into the arcade game either.

The recent home versions are much more fun. You can now appreciate the beautiful animation and humor of the Bluth cartoons with a much reduced difficulty including the options of infinite lives and an on screen guide. I'm just still surprised at the lack of toys the series has gotten considering its enduring popularity. Dragon's Lair (and Space Ace) even had Saturday morning cartoons in the 80s and the only toy that got released at the time was a board game.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Splitty
        Career Member
        • Jan 25, 2012

Those were really, really neat toys, with good accessories too!
        It's amazing how such a small property has such a strong fan base even still, a testament to the character of the show/game.

I was in love with the Singe toy from the first time I saw him. And thanks to a sweet ebay deal, I was finally able to happily complete my collection, which weirdly I was just getting ready to take a pic of when you posted this!
        I'll add the pic when done.

I would have killed for that second line. So sweet. I have doubts that any company today would make them with such a neat mix articulation, material and sculpts, seems to be one or the other anymore.

That Daphne statue just put out by Electric Tiki is really neat though:
        I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

I was terrible at the game to. I use to watch it when I ran out of quarters and waiting.

Nice looking toys. I seem to have missed alot of neat stuff throughout the years.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
            I remember playing the arcade version once. It seemed unresponcive during game play. That was it for me. I appriciated the attempt at new tech but had to admit it wasnt quite there at the time.
            Yeah it got one quarter from me as well, although I hung around and watched others play.

I remember they used to sell VHS tapes of the game at cons.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

OEJ ~ Dragon's Lair 3D Action Figure Full Set ~ Dirk Mordroc Daphne & Singe | eBay

Not bad for a $25 starting bid
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

I am probably one of the few who never played or even saw the game (the closest thing to an arcade in my town growing up didn't change games often and never had anything like this one), but I did enjoy the cartoon. I was probably just the right age for it and liked it (even though the "what would you do?" angle was fairly silly when watching it).
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Splitty
                  I would have killed for that second line. So sweet.
                  Totally. I would have loved figures of the Giddy Goons.

Here's a link to pics from Toy Fair 2002 that shows illustrations of the planned second series figures.

Dragon's Lair 3D - Anjon - Toy Fair 2002

Dragon's Essense Dirk makes sense in context of the Dragon's Lair 3D and would have been an easy variant, but I think skeleton Dirk from the game's death scenes would have been way cooler.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; Mar 16, '12, 3:09 PM.

Comment

• raider5gt
                    Museum Tree Cutter
                    • Nov 25, 2007

These figures look awesome,i have never seen them before,thanks for posting pics of them Werewolf and the heads up on the android port,may have to treat myself and download it.

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• turnbolt
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 26, 2008

Loved the game as kid and love these figs.

Thanks for the pics.

Where are my Space Ace figures???

There is no justice in this world.
                      I like toys.

Colonel Raines' Toy Chest

Comment

• Splitty
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 25, 2012

I suck! I should have taken these pics a few days ago.
                        Ah well, better late than never, I guess.

Here are my beloved Dragon's Lair figures, complete except Dirk's purple key.
                        Sorry, I wish the sizes were better, but Flickr has two sizes. Huge and too small. [:(

Larger sizes of these are there if you go thru the Flickr maze:

I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Figuremod73
                          That 80's guy
                          • Jul 27, 2011

The figures are great but I really like the background!

Comment

• Splitty
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 25, 2012

Thankyou.
                            I painted that. Took me a whole day.
                            I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Figuremod73
                              That 80's guy
                              • Jul 27, 2011

The colours and style fit the figurines perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎