Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you create different characters/stories for you figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Did you create different characters/stories for you figures?

Say, the Time Travelers fought alongside some other figures- Tron and Flynn, but Tron and Flynn weren't the same as the ones in the movie? Or perhaps Mazinga was Karza's righthand man. But Mazinga wasn't the Mazinga of Shogun Warriors fame, but some other character? Maybe Black Hole's Pizer and Holland flew Eagle One. Crystar lived in the same fantasy world as the Arco Other World figures... I loved coming up with my one story lines. But my action figure adventures were like movies- with a beginning, middle, and climatic end. I'd have an ongoing series of stories of RAH G.I. Joe figures as some sort of futuristic fighting force, ala Megaforce. Or I'd have a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy, that the AD&D Ogre King had a 'army' of robot soldiers (that being the 'black knight' from Dragonriders of Styx).. etc.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh yeah. My 3 3/4 Luke Duke became my own Eagle Man thanks to silly putty making him a mask and wings. In later years my Super Powers figures were joined by GI Joes and even Transformers with an offshoot team called "The Power Company". Mego Super Heroes teamed up with MOTU figures. You name it, I mixed it!!!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• 4NDR01D
      Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
      • Jan 22, 2008

When I was really little, my Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Micronauts and Clash of the Titans shared the same universe. When I got into Gi Joe in '82, that's when I stopped "mixing lines", I just wouldn't do it. For some reason I thought this was a sign of maturity.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

All the time. Here's the amazing part. I was using Shazam as my Peter Parker figure long before I ever knew about the Secret Identity figures. I actually didn't know anything about them until the late 80's. Shazam was actually used for many a figure. He became a Robin Teen Titan. He also became one of my favorite customs as a kid... Nova. When I was playing with my monster figures, I loved pulling my bed sheets over the side and pretending that was an ice/snow flow with Frankenstein buried in it. The adventures went from there.

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

My main play area was a tabletop with Castle Grayskull at one end and Snake Mountain at the other. It was, obviously, a MOTU setup mostly, but then I added the Hall of Justice, and a little castle set with knights, etc. I combined the lines I had, with He-Man and Superman taking on Skeletor and Lex Luthor. MOTU worked well with merging lines, since it already had both "magic" and "science," so adding in Dungeons & Dragons and a few Star Wars were easy, and I just decided that some time scoop was used to bring my Legends of the West figures to Eternia (with Jesse James, of course, on the side of evil). And once Indiana Jones got there, it was an adventure for the ages.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Splitty
            Career Member
            • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by acrovader
            ... I loved coming up with my one story lines. But my action figure adventures were like movies- with a beginning, middle, and climatic end. .
            I would do the same thing too! And couldn't rest until I completed the storyline, even if it meant going to bed really late. They were all the usual. Underdog, quest, impossible odds, mystic villains, overthrow victory.

...umm, almost all I could get my hands on were Barbie Dolls. I managed to snag only a very few boy toys, that I'd sneak in there as midgets and creatures, but I could mostly only get my hands on girly stuff, so I made do. I only ever played Sci-Fi or Fantasy storylines. Never modern day. And I never had any other girls to play with, because they all wanted to play families and babies.

For sci-fi, since I had no boys around with toys to steal guns from, I got a steak knife & whittled toy space guns out of wood & painted them. I went through catalogs and cut pics of VCRs, electronics & sci-fi balls out and glued them to pieces of cardboard so I'd have electronic space walls. I stole small metal things often from the garage for gadgets.

For Fantasy....um maybe I don't know you guys well enough to talk about this. Ah heck, I'm already here. I punched ALL off my Barbies through the forehead so I could put an earring in there, so they'd have a mystic gem in the forehead. I made clothes. I whittled (with the knife again) simple rustic wooden props. I'd.....I should stop now. I'd cut the end off and whittled clear colored toothbrushes into pointy swords, attached hilts with washers from the garage, and gems and chains. Gem swords!

Oh gawd, I can never come back here again.
            meh, I'll just edit it later.
            Last edited by Splitty; Feb 29, '12, 10:53 PM.
            I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• 4NDR01D
              Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
              • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by Splitty
              Oh gawd, I can never come back here again.
              meh, I'll just edit it later.
              too late, I already took a screen cap.

Comment

• Splitty
                Career Member
                • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                too late, I already took a screen cap.
                DOH! Foiled!!

*plots epic storyline with new dastardly villain '4ndro1d'*
                Revenge.
                I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

When I was a kid, I really didn't know how to play action figure games, even though I had Big Jim and Action Jackson. I tried though...a Kleenex box for a pursuit car (I tried to copy GIJoe's ATV, to no avail), and Big Jim and AJ and my Sesame Street finger puppet were like the father and sons Adventure Team. But, I didn't have any challenges to overcome, b/c I didn't know how. So eventually, I did use them to play house. But a lot of my games were kinda like soap operas. There was dysfunction, jealousy, child relocation. Big Jack was the strong, sexy man who protected his American Indian wife, and said, "Love ya, baby" a lot. I did watch the soaps w/ my mom sometimes, so I guess that came out.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• mazinz
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by acrovader
                    Say, the Time Travelers fought alongside some other figures- Tron and Flynn, but Tron and Flynn weren't the same as the ones in the movie? Or perhaps Mazinga was Karza's righthand man. But Mazinga wasn't the Mazinga of Shogun Warriors fame, but some other character? Maybe Black Hole's Pizer and Holland flew Eagle One. Crystar lived in the same fantasy world as the Arco Other World figures... I loved coming up with my one story lines. But my action figure adventures were like movies- with a beginning, middle, and climatic end. I'd have an ongoing series of stories of RAH G.I. Joe figures as some sort of futuristic fighting force, ala Megaforce. Or I'd have a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy, that the AD&D Ogre King had a 'army' of robot soldiers (that being the 'black knight' from Dragonriders of Styx).. etc.
                    Ditto and I really like this post
                    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

I mixed everything. He-man and Skeletor had armies of Heman knockoffs. He-man and Blackstar would team up on a regular basis to overthrow Skeletor and the Overlord. Occasionally he had robot scouts (gobots) snooping around trying to find there whereabouts. Stonedor and Rokkon would occasional employ the help of there own robots (Rocklords) to help aid He-man.
                      On at least a few occasions various Superheroes would come in (Superpowers and Secret Wars) and need help returning. They of course, were like Gullivers Travels, trying to stay away from the giant Skeletor.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                        Persistent Member
                        • Oct 3, 2007

When at play with friends back then. Continuity was always an issue. If we played GI. Joes (12"). It had to be Joes, It was hard to keep up with my one friend because he had every Joe toy you could imagine. I often tried to guide play along some form of plot but since this same kid bulked at any attempt. It was difficult. You can imagine how tough play was when we all had the Bionic Man but no villian's had been produced yet! When adventuring on my own. I'd form a playplot but most of the time was spent posing my figures in key poses based on the plot. Like a comic strip panel of the ongoing action. I guess you could say I was heavily influenced by comicbooks.
                        Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                        MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• MightyMegs
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 5, 2009

My brother and I mixed Star Wars, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, Micronauts... everything. It was all the bad guys against all the good guys. Shogun Warriors Godzilla could play for either team, although he mostly attacked the Death Star playset.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                            That 80's guy
                            • Jul 27, 2011

Back when I was kid I wanted to do picture comics with my figures (long before they started doing it in the magazines). I wasnt allowed though, think of how much it would have cost to have all those pictures developed! I ended up just drawing it out. GI Joes are pretty good models when learning how to pose i think.
                            Wish I had been creative enough to make my own playsets. Looking back on it now it really wouldnt have been all that hard. With a little bit of imagination (and the good resources we have now) we could make some great playsets now.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎