Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Jim of Georgia
    • Jan 21, 2011

Big Jim find

My brother has leased some property for deer hunting. Part of the lease included the cleaning out of an old house and barn. The owners family has taken what they wanted from the home and left the rest for junk. This house never had plumbing or electricity and had been vacant since the 50s and was used for storage. My brother needed help clearing out the house, and asked if I would help him. He told me that I could keep anything that I found. I wast expecting to find much but was I wrong. I found a box of comics dating between the 40s and 50s. Most in decent shape and selling some on ebay. The next box I pulled out of the attic had some 60/70s Hot Wheels, a Nylint truck and other toys most in good shape. The third box was the jackpot. When I opened it, it too was filled with toys. On top was the yellow truck for the Sunshine Family. It is the same truck as the Big Jim Jungle truck. I pulled the truck out and something caught my eye, the gorilla from the Big Jim Jungle adventure set and he was in great working condition. Now I am a Big Jim fan and I have all my Jims from the 70s but what I found next was an item that I thought I would never have, The Big Jim Tarzan, (there was one on ebay two weeks ago for $150.00, Tarzan only). This Tarzan was in great condition and the karate action works. Some kid got the Tarzan/Gorilla set in the 70s and took great care of it and most of the toys. The only thing missing from the set is the knief. Other great items was found but nothing topped the Tarzan. I wish the jungle cat was in the box as well. But thats me being greedy.
  • torgospizza
    Theocrat of Pan Tang
    • Aug 19, 2010

Congratulations, man--that Mattel Tarzan is one of my favorite figures ever. I had to pick up a loose knife off eBay to complete him, though.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Big Jim Tarzan, is a Grail for Big Jim collectors.......good for you man congrats!

Comment

• kennermike
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by Big Jim of Georgia
        My brother has leased some property for deer hunting. Part of the lease included the cleaning out of an old house and barn. The owners family has taken what they wanted from the home and left the rest for junk. This house never had plumbing or electricity and had been vacant since the 50s and was used for storage. My brother needed help clearing out the house, and asked if I would help him. He told me that I could keep anything that I found. I wast expecting to find much but was I wrong. I found a box of comics dating between the 40s and 50s. Most in decent shape and selling some on ebay. The next box I pulled out of the attic had some 60/70s Hot Wheels, a Nylint truck and other toys most in good shape. The third box was the jackpot. When I opened it, it too was filled with toys. On top was the yellow truck for the Sunshine Family. It is the same truck as the Big Jim Jungle truck. I pulled the truck out and something caught my eye, the gorilla from the Big Jim Jungle adventure set and he was in great working condition. Now I am a Big Jim fan and I have all my Jims from the 70s but what I found next was an item that I thought I would never have, The Big Jim Tarzan, (there was one on ebay two weeks ago for $150.00, Tarzan only). This Tarzan was in great condition and the karate action works. Some kid got the Tarzan/Gorilla set in the 70s and took great care of it and most of the toys. The only thing missing from the set is the knief. Other great items was found but nothing topped the Tarzan. I wish the jungle cat was in the box as well. But thats me being greedy.
        Pictures???

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Awesome find. That is the one I have from my childhood. A nice figure for sure.

Comment

• Big Jim of Georgia
            • Jan 21, 2011

Here is a picture link of a few of the items.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/...r/101_1569.jpg

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

^^^Yep! That be it! Excellent score bro.

Comment

• Saroyan
                Persistent Member
                • Oct 4, 2011

How cool! To actually find something you never dreamed you would in such a surprising place!

Excellent!!!

Comment

• Den82
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 17, 2011

Goes to show, there is still stuff out there to be uncovered. Even with 80s toys, I often assume that it's all been throw out, sold off, given away, etc. But I know I am wrong.

My best find ever was a guy who contacted me through Craigslist. I bought his entire childhood toy collection for $500 and in that lot I got more than 50% of entire MOTU line, 50% of the entire Thundercats line including the ultra rare Tongue-A-Sauraus. Complete Voltron and Castle of Lions and pilots. Tons of GI JOE and tons of other stuff. It was massive.

I wonder if I will ever find something like that ever again.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

BJ Tarzan is newish to me--when was the release date?

I take it that the Jungle Cat (panther) is also the same mold as the later, scarce Euro Tiger, and also used for Battle Cat/Panthor?
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• turnbolt
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 26, 2008

It is the same. Love that Tarzan. They have been going for big money lately.
                      I like toys.

Colonel Raines' Toy Chest

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

I'm a huge fan of the "Big Jim" Tarzan, as well! It's really a great figure. I wish that I would have tried to picked one up several years ago when the prices were reasonable.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• shazam7208
                          Career Member
                          • Oct 28, 2008

WOW...that's great! Congrats!

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            BJ Tarzan is newish to me--when was the release date?

I take it that the Jungle Cat (panther) is also the same mold as the later, scarce Euro Tiger, and also used for Battle Cat/Panthor?
                            As I recall, these came out in the late 70's. Around '77 or '78 if memory serves. I think this served as product for the Filmation cartoon that was very popular at that time

Comment

• Hotfoot
                              Dazed and Confused
                              • Dec 30, 2007

Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡