ugliest DC Direct figures

http://popculturesafari.blogspot.com...ct-action.html

What are your picks?
    Pop Culture Safari!
    Cool Comics, Music, Movies and More
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Turner and Sales art DOES NOT translate well to figures. I'm not a big fan of either's art, personally, but I respect their work. But those figures are just hideous.

The Silver Age Green Arrow and Speedy are well below DC's standards. They look rough and unfinished to me. I'm glad to have them, but I wish they fit in stylistically with the other SA figures.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I don't think they look that bad,the face on the Dark Victory Batman looks a little funky though
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I don't get the New Frontier WW at all, it's beyond ugly.

McGuiness art bothers me on the page just as much as action figures, it's like everyone uses a stairmaster 10 hours a day. That hideous Lex Luthor in the power suit is so over the top it always make me laugh when I see it.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• grayhank
          That Fisher Price Guy
          • Feb 9, 2007

I actually like those "McGuinness" figures. Don't know what that person's problem is in regards to those. My only problem with ANY DC Direct figure is the price of them. I started buying them when they first started production, but stopped shortly thereafter when it was costing well over 60.00 for 4 figures in a wave.
          Last edited by grayhank; Jan 4, '08, 3:41 PM.
          Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• davidb
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2007

The Supergirl and Black Canary ones he mentioned are definitely on my list. The winner for me? The McGuinness battle armor Luthor. Took the sleek, cool armor and turned it into something you'd find in a box of Mega Bloks. Plus, the head, well...

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              McGuiness art bothers me on the page just as much as action figures, it's like everyone uses a stairmaster 10 hours a day. That hideous Lex Luthor in the power suit is so over the top it always make me laugh when I see it.
              Remember when SHREK sees Farquad's huge castle and remarks:
              "Compensating for something, are we?"

That dialogue's sentiment comes to mind looking at that LEX POWER SUIT figure.

Hey---has anyone mentioned those TOTAL JUSTICE/JLA figures with
              the lack of articulation and other horrid attributes---I think those really
              take the cake for being ugly
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

The Turner Batman & Superman, as well as his Identity Crissis Figures. I think with the exception of DeadShot, all the figures are Horrible. I don't really think they resemble his art work either. The sculptors dropped the Ball on these, & are my pic's for the uglyest lines DCD has made. It's a pitty though, I was a real big fan of the Story Arc's, & It's a real shame the figures came out the way they did.

& Agreed Hank,.. I was not pleased with the prices of the DC Direct figures either... However after yrs of collecting the Marvel Legends, My DC Superhero's are just not there,.. & I hold DC way above marvel characters, so I have been buying these as of late in efforts to build my collection.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Turner and Sales art DOES NOT translate well to figures.

Chris

I'm with Chris on this...it just doesn't work.
                  sigpic

Comment

• grayhank
                    That Fisher Price Guy
                    • Feb 9, 2007

Putting all ugliness aside, I am however foaming at the bit to get this 2-Pack from DC Direct next month! It's definitely a must have for me.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Hank---as clunky as that LEX figure looks to me (I'm unfamilliar with
                      the comic art)----that JOKER and MYX figure set look charming as heck!

Why couldn't they have made a LEX in his TRADITIONAL 70s POWER SUIT
                      instead of the 80s one! Woulda loved to have seen THAT in this style. Dang
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MegoSteve
                        Superman's Pal
                        • Jun 17, 2005

The McGuinness stuff looks too much like Tom of Finland pinup artwork. That Turner Supergirl is probably the worst Supergirl rendition I've ever seen... it's not even bad enough to be funny. It's just horrendous.

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                          The McGuinness stuff looks too much like Tom of Finland pinup artwork. That Turner Supergirl is probably the worst Supergirl rendition I've ever seen... it's not even bad enough to be funny. It's just horrendous.
                          I thought it was one of the Olsen twins myself.
                          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• grayhank
                            That Fisher Price Guy
                            • Feb 9, 2007

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                            The McGuinness stuff looks too much like Tom of Finland pinup artwork.

Hmmm, no wonder I like it!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by huedell
                              Hey---has anyone mentioned those TOTAL JUSTICE/JLA figures with
                              the lack of articulation and other horrid attributes---I think those really
                              take the cake for being ugly
                              Those weren't DC Direct though....
                              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎