Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about BBC websites ? (Who related)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Question about BBC websites ? (Who related)

Just wondering,
    When I go to BBC websites--- specifically for Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures...... a lot of features are not available to "people outside the UK"
    Mostly video's and stuff.

Just wondering,
    WHY are they being so snooty to a very large part of their world audience ?
    Does it have something to do with the UK TV tax stuff ?

m
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

I think it may be more to do with copyright on materials...I know that the box set over here is different due to some of the commentries and I think one of the songs doesn't appear on the U.S. discs. A lot of the extras are video commentries of episodes or audio ones so that may well be the reason. Also new content that hasn't yet been sold or cleared for U.S./world audiences.
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• bonkers head
      Museum Patron
      • Mar 25, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk
      Just wondering,
      When I go to BBC websites--- specifically for Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures...... a lot of features are not available to "people outside the UK"
      Mostly video's and stuff.

Just wondering,
      WHY are they being so snooty to a very large part of their world audience ?
      Does it have something to do with the UK TV tax stuff ?

m
      I think it has to do with the license fee as we in the UK have to pay the fee to watch TV or get hauled off to court and fined!!! So if they make the watching of the programs free on the website for the rest of the world that would kinda be admitting that there ripping us off .

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by bonkers head
        I think it has to do with the license fee as we in the UK have to pay the fee to watch TV or get hauled off to court and fined!!! So if they make the watching of the programs free on the website for the rest of the world that would kinda be admitting that there ripping us off .
        Do you's have the option of getting a satellite dish-- therefore, bypassing that tax ?
        I'm guessing BBC is not carried on satellite TV (unless you pay extra for it) -- but i'm wondering if you can watch TV, bypass your governments tax-- and only pay a cable or satellite providers fees ?

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
          • Nov 21, 2007

our tv license fees are for any equipment that can recieve a signal ...so even if you had a satalitte or even a tv used for just dvd/video playback, because it can recieve the signal you have to pay the fee.
          The fee is only in place for bbc services as the other channels are all commercial channels ..i.e. they are paid for by advertising.
          ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I hate to say this, and please don't take this the wrong way --- but you guys seem to be really getting reamed up the behind by your own government... for a televison channel.

I'm sure you all already know this, but here in the US, we have PBS (Public Broadcasting Station)-- which is kind of equivalent but a bit inferior to BBC.....
            PBS is maintained by mostly donations by the public.
            If you don't donate-- you still get it for free...
            Seems strange, but they've been chugging along for damn near 40+ years now-- so they must be doing something right.

I hate to be a rabble-rouser.....
            But it's the 21st century.
            I think in this day and age, a TV tax is just nuts.
            The way it's been described, it seems like something a dictator would impose on a third world country to line his own pockets.
            Last edited by Mikey; Jan 5, '08, 7:56 AM.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
              • Nov 21, 2007

Yeah most of us would agree with those thoughts type1kirk, whats worse is now we are going digital the price has gone up even though some of the country will not be able to afford getting new equipment to recieve the digital channels.....now don't get me started on council tax ornational insurance...

Comment

• bonkers head
                Museum Patron
                • Mar 25, 2007

Originally posted by Bo8a_Fett
                Yeah most of us would agree with those thoughts type1kirk, whats worse is now we are going digital the price has gone up even though some of the country will not be able to afford getting new equipment to recieve the digital channels.....now don't get me started on council tax ornational insurance...
                got to aggree with you B08a ,fuel duty is my pesonal hate

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎