X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den82
    Career Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

Finding eBay Deals

I always hear stories of people finding amazing deals on eBay by late nite, early morning buy-it-now' or searching for listings with errors or ones that are poorly detailed.

Recently, I know of somebody that purchased a lot of Star Wars stuff for like $60 and it has MOC Empire Strikes Back figures, including Princess Leia because the seller made no mention of them in the title and they were mixed in with a lot of 90s stuff. Upon reading the description and seeing the picture, most assumed it was just modern junk.

Only in the early days I found deals like that. It was more a matter of taking a risk though (2 separate occasions, the sellers, both with low feedback ratings posted high end items with no pictures).

As far as toys go, I found 3 of the four Mego KISS dolls because the seller neglected to mention Mego.

I've been searching for the above, but it's really time consuming for something that could be fruitless.
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

Searching for hidden auctions is somewhat of a pass time for many of us. Do I ever find any? rarely, but it does happen. There's a lot of savvy eBayers out there to compete with using all the same search words and search functions that I am, or some that I've never thought of. Mostly it's just being persistent and checking auctions often.

Can it be "fruitless" of course it can, but for me, so can driving a min. of 1/2 hr. to an hour to hit up the closest fleas or large thrifts (I live in a town of 4000, I sometimes find decent stuff around but not very often). Driving a few hours on a Sunday and hitting the fleas and returning empty handed and out the gas money it took to get there can be a real bummer, BUT... This is what I love to do, and so is spending my evenings sitting in front of a computer looking at all the stuff out there on ebay (hidden or not).

Times money as they say, so if you don't "enjoy" looking for hidden auctions, I'd say don't bother, chances of it paying off significantly are fairly slim.

Comment

• Saroyan
      Persistent Member
      • Oct 4, 2011

One trick I figured out a while back while collecting Hot Wheels and other diecast (still do)- search using misspelled words.

The easiest example is Camaro- some people either don't know or don't check the spelling and spell it with an E : CamEro.

Also search using generic terms like 70s action figure or old batman can yield some hidden stuff sometimes.

I got a SCREAMING deal on an ebay lot of 12 black wall Hot Wheels since the seller had grainy pictures- I was able to sell of 2 of the carded cars and paid for the whole lot. I kept the rest.

Sometimes you have to throw a bid in and see if it will stick- I missed out on a GI Joe Thunderwing jet pack because I lost track of the end of the auction- but the lucky sucker who had the ONLY bid got a great deal!

Comment

• 4NDR01D
        Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
        • Jan 22, 2008

Den, do you sell on ebay? if so what types of stuff? out of curiosity.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

it's getting hard to find those hidden auctions...the best bet is to find something good with a buy it now

saw someone beat me by just seconds the other day, and they got the lord of the rings Knickerbocker figures, 3 moc for $75
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Den82
            Career Member
            • Jan 17, 2011

Yes, I sell on eBay: Rare Vinyl Records, Thundercats items in Vintage Toys New York store on eBay!

I have like nothing in my store right now. I might be changing the name soon or doing away with it completely.

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

I find some decent stuff listed incorrectly.
              Nothing great, or at awesome deals, but good stuff at low prices.
              My best luck is being in the right place at the right time.
              When I have time to sift through new listings in certain categories.
              Catch a cheap BIN before anyone else sees it.
              That or if I have the cash, buying large lots that I can unload fairly quick and make enough to keep the stuff I want for free.

But yeah, things aren't nearly as good as back in the old days.
              Early 2000's on ebay could be a gold mine.

Comment

• Brad
                Batman Fanatic
                • Aug 20, 2010

Originally posted by Saroyan
                One trick I figured out a while back while collecting Hot Wheels and other diecast (still do)- search using misspelled words.

The easiest example is Camaro- some people either don't know or don't check the spelling and spell it with an E : CamEro.

Also search using generic terms like 70s action figure or old batman can yield some hidden stuff sometimes.
                That used to work a lot better before eBay fixed the search engine. Now it corrects many common misspellings so it is not as easy as it once was. But you can still find hidden auctions due to sellers not really knowing what they have. I have been lucky enough to find a few gems for my Kawasaki collection. A few times it was just a matter of finding a BIN before anyone else did and the seller not knowing the full value of what they listed.

It is fun finding stuff like this.
                "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎