• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkmonkeygod
    Career Member
    • Sep 5, 2005

Tomland / Combex questions

Hello all,

I've been trying to find info on the Combex / Tomland Famous Monsters of Legend figures and their relation to the Tomland Star Raiders figures, as well as the later releases of FMOL figures in glow in the dark. Any info at all on these appreciated, but here are some of the main questions:

What year were the FMOL figures first released, and how many years were they produced?

Were any of the FMOL released with Tomland on the card? I've seen Kresge logo cards and Combex logo cards, but never Tomland.

Were Combex carded FMOL released in the US?

Were FMOL figures as FMOL released in other countries?

What is the history of Tomland, Combex and their relation?

The list continues, but that's a start. Any info appreciated.

Shannon
  • Neutron X
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 22, 2007

Shannon going by what I've read in past posts here, Combex was a division of Marx overseas somehow.
    FMOL were available overseas this is where the Mummy, Werewolf, and Frankenstein, glow in the dark Y\Tomland figures that use the Lincoln head molds are from. According to anecdotal information 2nd issue FMOL were available in USA but wiith very spotty if any distribution.

I remember someone saying Lincoln and Tomland may have been subsiderary companies or at the very least using the same factories. Lincoln Monsters are copyright 1974 on the neck. HMMMMMMMMM the year before Tomland starts producing figures. Maybe I'm streching here but there is some connection.

A big issue for me is the fact that many people miss the obvious with Tomland figures. Here's my Timeline hypothesis:

Famous Monsters of Legend Copyright (1975)on cards
    The FLY
    Morlock
    Abominable Snowman
    Cyclops

Creatures from Other Worlds Copyright (1976) Star Trek Inspired
    Dagon
    Yog
    Zhor
    Zoth

Star Raiders Copyright (1977)Star Wars Inspired
    Tago
    Bico
    Oov
    Ridal
    Dagon
    Yog
    Zhor
    Coth
    Grand
    Zing
    Wik
    Flash

Continued into 1978

Star Raiders Glow in the Dark 1978 Star Wars/Battle Star Galactica inspired
    All the above+(New added figures Battle Star Galactic inspired)
    Dral
    Rot
    Yick
    AH

My point is Tomland was offering these figures regularly with many varations.
    Updating these every year depending on then current market trends. All copyright dates taken directly from cards
    I'm not sure where the 3 3/4 figures fit into timeline.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I have a toy industry ad that I forgot about, it'll hopefully shed some light.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• gort
        • Jan 9, 2008

Originally posted by Neutron X
        I'm not sure where the 3 3/4 figures fit into timeline.
        The 3 3/4" figures first surfaced as Starroid Raiders in 1977, followed by the glow-in-the-dark head Space Raiders in 1978. The Space Fighters of 1979 saw a return to no-glow heads but the introdution of some limb variations and finally 1982's Space People had slightly larger heads.

Some heads were shrunken versions of the 8" line, Fly/Oov became Dado, Yog became Wag etc. Others looked to be based on 8" versions and some were new designs.

Comment

• Neutron X
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 22, 2007

Excellent! Now I have a good understanding of 3 3/4 Tomland figures timeline

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎