X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

Anybody have Art Asylum Trek figures?

Just wondering about how you like them and if they're worth purchasing. Thanks.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;
  • grayhank
    That Fisher Price Guy
    • Feb 9, 2007

I've got a few of them, mostly the San Diego Exclusives. I actually liked the Playmates line better. For some reason the playmates figures look more appealing even though Art Asylum's have more articulation. They don't seem to have that "I wanna play with this" feel to them.
    Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

The only one I bought was the GORN...He came out pretty nice!
      sigpic

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

I've got a few. I want to like them...but it's just not happening. they are ok and all, but I think grayhank nailed it when he said they dont have that "wanna play with them" feel too them.
        On the plus side, the accessories work ok with Megos, and the command chair, and the Enterprise bridge playsets also look great with Megos habitating them.
        The hands will fit type 1 and with a little work, type 2 Mego arms as well.
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
          Pat Troughton in disguise
          • Nov 21, 2007

They always look good in toyfare and the like but when I pick them up pre purchase they look disappointing and I pass on them. Star Trek figures always seem to promise much more in the press release photos...even the mini mates have gone downhill since the first wave.
          I suppose i'm just looking for a little bit of perfection in the figures and nobodies done them justice yet IMO.
          ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• davidb
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2007

Originally posted by Captain
            I've got a few. I want to like them...but it's just not happening. they are ok and all, but I think grayhank nailed it when he said they dont have that "wanna play with them" feel too them.
            On the plus side, the accessories work ok with Megos, and the command chair, and the Enterprise bridge playsets also look great with Megos habitating them.
            The hands will fit type 1 and with a little work, type 2 Mego arms as well.
            Have they done any more playsets for the original series or Next Gen other than just the captain's chairs? I've missed them and need to track them down if they have...

Comment

• The Sentry
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 3, 2007

I have 2 of the 3 Khan's. I actually like them alot! Great likenesses, acessories, and packaging! Top notch IMO! I'd like to get as many Spock's as I can if Spock is as good as Khan WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
              sigpic
              http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
              [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I bought a few and sold them later on, I can't put my finger on it but they weren't fun enough for me.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Captain
                  Fighting the good fight!
                  • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by davidb
                  Have they done any more playsets for the original series or Next Gen other than just the captain's chairs? I've missed them and need to track them down if they have...

I dont believe they have done any other sets for those two series...although I'm hoping they do some bridge sets from the classic and Movie Trek bridges!
                  (If there was any confusion, I was referring to the play sets from the "Enterprise" television series. )
                  "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Thadiun Okona II
                    Museum Patron
                    • Dec 22, 2007

The thing that killed it for me was they aren't to scale w/each other. The Next Gen figs are slightly larger than the Classic figs. So, Riker & Picard really tower over Kirk & co. They're nice to look at....just like McFarlane stuff.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

I got the Kirk Boxed Figure...., Love all the Weaponry he came with. Thats All I got , & all I needed.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

I have a good friend who collects ST and has ALL the figures that have been released so far. He personally loves them. The only ones I have is the convention Kirk with the rifle and the Troi/Riker 2-pack that I got one Christmas.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

I like them but I don't love them. I am determined tie get all the ST2 versions tho. Some resemblances are not that good. Kirk/Shatner's likeness seems to be a tough one for them to nail down. I'm not sure why. So many other toy lines have done an excellent job with that likeness and they still haven't got it.

The articulation is better. The seem a bit lanky tho. Too tall/too thin. I doub't they will ever have the range of characters ToyBiz had. They are trying but there are a lot of useless variant releases in the Next Gen lines.

Comment

• spamn
                            Minty and All-Original!
                            • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by Captain
                            I dont believe they have done any other sets for those two series...although I'm hoping they do some bridge sets from the classic and Movie Trek bridges!
                            (If there was any confusion, I was referring to the play sets from the "Enterprise" television series. )
                            I don't think davidb knows about the bridge sets from the 'Enterprise' show. What's cool is that they interlock to form one big bridge playset:

Sales weren't good enough to release the vulcan babe one, but if you bought 2 malcom reed sets and put your T'pol figure in the right seat, you could have it, I think. I don't know how often they come up on ebay or how cheap they go for, but Big Bad Toy Store has the Malcom Reed set for $20 and I found a link online that has them for $30 apiece if you're interested.
                            Last edited by spamn; Jan 25, '08, 5:20 PM.

Comment

• spamn
                              Minty and All-Original!
                              • Mar 28, 2002

I should also say that IMHO the best all around figure from the Art Asylum line is the Klingon from the Enterprise episode Broken Bow. He's 8" tall, articulated about as good as a Mego (maybe more like an LJN figure with a flatt-style head), and is sturdy and playable, unlike the rest of the classic figure line. It's the playability that makes him better than the TV show Klingon, Khan, Mirror Universe figures, Gorn, etc:

Last edited by spamn; Jan 25, '08, 5:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎