X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Nerd Therapy Session: The tale of the Ghostly Tiger

This week's NTS is our first guest submission, which is fantastic because I could use a breather from baring my nerdy soul. Thomas shares an awesome tale of Halloween humiliation, something near and dear to my heart.

Thomas is a Buffalo area kid, seeing as I grew up in Southern Ontario and force fed nothing but WKBW and Buffalo 29 TV as a kid, I feel like a kindred spirit.

If you have a Nerdy confession you'd like to share drop me a line.

The tale of ghost tigers is after the jump, enjoy.

I grew up in a small town in Upstate New York about 30 miles outside of Buffalo.

In those pre- serial killer, Tylenol poisoning days it was still common for kids as young as 6 to go trick or treating without a parent. The first year I was old enough to go out trick or treating alone with the other neighborhood kids was 1974. I was six years old, and I had decided that I wanted to be a ghost. In my mind I could picture my ghost costume, right out of Charlie Brown, a white bed sheet with two holes cut for eyes.

I begged Mom to help me make the costume, and she obliged by digging through the laundry room, until she found a yellowed, thread bare old bed sheet that she was willing to sacrifice. I explained to her exactly how I wanted it to look. How it would fit over my head, and I would be able to lift my arms and look just like Caspar, only scarier. She nodded, and told me she knew just what I meant. Then she took her scissors and cut one big hole right in the middle of the sheet.

It was big enough to put my head through.

Then she explained to me that it wasn’t safe for a six year old to go trick or treating with a bed sheet over his head, and how this would help me see where I was going.

I stood there speechless, the tears welling up from deep within.

There was no way I was walking out that door with my head sticking through a hole in a bed sheet. I didn’t look like a ghost, I looked like the angel from the Nativity Scene. The kids were going to laugh at me. She suggested that maybe if I had a mask to wear over my face it would look better. So we dug around the basement for awhile until we found a tiger mask. So as the kids in the neighborhood gathered out in front of our house, I set off with the Army Soldiers, Frankenstein’s, Cowboys, Dracula’s, and Planet of the Apes as the only Ghostly Tiger in the City of Batavia. Maybe even the world.

At every house we came to a little old lady would open the door and ask “and what do we have here?” then proceed to name each and every costume until she came to me. After an awkward silence, I would mumble “Umm… I’m a ghostly tiger”.

I swore right then at age six that I was never going to do that to my kids.

So when Halloween 1975 rolled around I had great hopes for redemption. This year I would have the best costume on the street. So the week before Halloween, Mom took me to Fay’s Drug Store to buy a fancy store bought costume. I looked over the Planet of the Apes, the Astronauts, the Frankenstein’s, and the Superhero’s and I found the best costume I had ever seen.

A Dinosaur.

This was it! This was the one! It had a plastic Dinosaur mask with a snout that protruded like a Crocodile’s. I begged Mom to buy it for me, and she did. On the night of Halloween I sat at the dinner table, squirrely with excitement. That’s when Mom informed me that my brother had a High School Football game that night in Niagara Falls, and that we would have to leave early to go to the game so there would be no time for trick or treating with my friends. Instead, my oldest sister just took me to five houses on our street.

That night I rode all the way to Niagara Falls sitting in the backseat of our Plymouth Fury with my Dinosaur mask on, pondering the fact that Mom clearly did not grasp the concept of Halloween.

So for Halloween 1976 I turned to my Dad. That was the year of Star Wars, and I had gotten a toy light saber, made out of a flashlight and a hollow plastic tube. I wanted to be Darth Vader, so Dad put on his thinking cap, and then gathered up a pair of welding goggles, one of granny’s oxygen masks, and a toy German Army helmet, and took them out to the barn and spray painted them black. Mom even got into the act by sewing me a black cape, and letting me wear her knee high black leather boots. The night of Halloween I stepped out onto the front porch, flicked on my light saber, and started breathing like James Earl Jones with a nasty head cold. The neighborhood was in awe.

What followed was the greatest Halloween ever, as I spent 3 hours walking the streets of Batavia basking in the celebrity of an adoring public, until my pillow case was full to over flowing with sugary goodness.

I was Darth Vader again the next year.

Epilogue: Four years ago my daughter asked to be a bed sheet ghost for Halloween. I went to bat for her and convinced my sensible wife that it would be safe for her to walk the neighborhood at night with a sheet over her head. It only took 34 years, but I got my redemption.

Thanks again to Thomas for being our first guest poster!

Next Week: A tale of superheroes, loss and nausea.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Fun stuff! Would be cool to see pics of the Darth Vader costume.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Great story. Fortunately for me, my parents always GOT Halloween. They came through every year, and if my mom didn't make my costume, she helped me augment a store bought one.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

if pictures do exist, I would love to see the costume
        "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

great story, you might want to correct the year of Star Wars, tho. 1976, it was not.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

I would love to see that costume!

My mom didn't get Halloween either. At age 5, I just has a Collegeville cat mask, w/ no costume. The only kid in my class who didn't have one. My cousin who was in my class even had one. Although I was allowed to dress up for school and the church Halloween parties in the following years, my mom wasn't keen on Trick or Treating, b/c of the neighborhood we lived in. (just outside Harlem NY) I wasn't allowed to leave our apartment building, and I could only go to the people's apartments I knew. This took all of 10 minutes. My older sister took pity on me, and started buying me presents for Halloween. I really didn't get a taste if true Trick or Treating until we moved to CA when I was 13. I made my own costumes, and since I was the oldest one in our neighborhood group, I got to take the other kids around. We'd meet up at someone else's house afterward, trade candies and watch spooky shows.

I definitely think I got gypped, and try to make up for it now by doing a lot of Halloween stuff w/ my kids. (tame stuff, for now I work w/ pre-schoolers).
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Nice story! Sometimes parents just don't get it. Luckily my mom got Halloween. She made me an entire Superman costume when I was five years old, much better than a cheesy store bought deal. I wore that thing all the time until I finally completely outgrew it. That was a sad day. And when I was 10, I wanted to be Ace Frehley for Halloween. My mom went all out with the costume, and expertly applied my makeup and everything. I looked great, but damn, I wish she would have taken a photo though! Those were my best two Halloween costumes.

Comment

• MPM1972
                Museum Patron
                • Jan 23, 2012

Syracuse NY here. All of our Halloween gear came from Fay's Drugs. Miss that store so much. Most of my '82 Joes & all of my Super Powers came from Fay's.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                  To Fear is Not Logical...
                  • Feb 17, 2008

Great Story! We lived in an apartment building that did not allow trick or treaters, so I would always go over to my friend's neighborhood. I usually had a bugs bunny mask or Spider man, flame-retardant costume and all
                  It's all good!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Almost all of our bought Halloween costumes came from Ben Franklin's. I can still see the Ben Cooper costume boxes stacked to the ceiling...

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Splitty
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 25, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3PFC86UNI&ob=av3e

true dat.
                      I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Splitty
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 25, 2012

Oh, and as a side note, you do not even want to KNOW what my mom dressed me up for, for 2 years.

I'll tell you anyway, of course.

4th grade, I was an invisible kid. I didn't get to go trick or treating from door to door, instead I went to Halloween parties hosted by the popular girl (who somehow I was BFF's with, yet still invisible).

So all the other girls got to dress up as pretty ballerina's, princesses, fairies, Princess Leia, and the guys got to dress up as monsters and Star Wars'y things. Not me.

My Mom, a bit of a seamstress, thought it'd be a brilliant idea to dress me up as MY LAST NAME. She did it for herself at work, this costume, so she got to work on a mini version for me. Out came the brown fur, brown vinyl, wax, and thusly I became a life-sized..... little BEAVER. Yup, she made a full sized brown fur outfit with only my face showing (including padded footsies!), a tail out of brown vinyl, and she even made WAX BEAVER TEETH. And drew whiskers on my face. Of course, she didn't realize that was a terribly embarassing name for any child, living in the state where that's the STATE ANIMAL to top it off, let alone to become one incarnate.

So at the parties (2 years in a row) I was both happily HIGH because people were PAYING ATTENTION TO ME!! They were talking to me and had smiles on their faces! And I was dualy queasy and mollified because I knew that wasn't necessarily good. I chose denial at an early age. The attention even prompted me to make 'beaver' sounds with the wax teeth in my mouth! And I chose to believe the joyous reaction was because I had suddenly become a whip smart comedian.

If any pics were snapped, they're lost in my parents dusty old slide collection, so I may have to never view them again. I even dimly recall, through the blocked out hazy memories, that a photo may have been snapped of my mom in her life-sized adult beaver costume with me matching in my lil' costume next to her. But I'm growing hazier and hazier by the moment.....

What was I talking about??
                        Last edited by Splitty; Feb 19, '12, 8:56 PM.
                        I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• piecemaker
                          There's no need to fear..
                          • Jan 26, 2009

The Tale of the Ghostly Tiger was a great story! Splitty,your story is hilarious and i can relate.My Mom loved to make Halloween costumes.One year for my 1st grade Halloween party,she decided it would be a wonderful idea to send me to school dressed in the ORGAN GRINDER MONKEY costume she had made.Yep,the brown fur footy pajamas type,with tail and and little gold trimmed red hat and vest. I thankfully have blocked most of that nightmare out but i do remember winning the "best"* costume award,(a candy bar)*aka: the most ridiculously funny for everyone else costume.Later at recess of course,the teasing commenced.One unfortunate kid had to find out the hard way,that the little didn't play nice.

Comment

• Splitty
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by piecemaker
                            One year for my 1st grade Halloween party,she decided it would be a wonderful idea to send me to school dressed in the ORGAN GRINDER MONKEY costume she had made. Yep,the brown fur footy pajamas type,with tail and and little gold trimmed red hat and vest.
                            Ohmygoodlord. That beats ALL. I hope your parents were picture takers.
                            I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

I know what that's like. I can related to the '77 Halloween one. Try going out trick or treating as a Stormtrooper and your costume is a Stormtrooper mask and a gray hooded sweatshirt.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎