X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

Copyrighted Logo question:

I've been "toying" with the idea of an original limited run figure based on a real person I know.
    The costume I had in mind includes jeans and a t shirt with a Batman logo on it.
    What the legal situation on something like that? ( Not that it'll stop me but I'm still curious)

• SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

I think it's safe enough, as long as you don't intend to sell anything. You can be sure every batman logo ever used, is most certainly copyrighted. If you search the archives, there have been a number of discussions on the finer points of the illegality of most customs and reproductions.
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Dave I don't think you can sue yourself so I would go for it. All hands up who want a Dave figure! I do!!! We need one that speaks ten different phrases. Something like, "I'm feeling horny. How 'bout you?"

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

The only time you may run into a real issue with the logo is if you plan to make 10,000 of them and sell them. A couple (?) is really nothing to worry about
        "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

You could make as many as you want for personal use.... whatever that might entail.... but the second you sell or trade one you COULD have problems. I don't think they'd try suing you but you could definitely expect a C&D. If they notice.

Don C.

Comment

• MegoMark71
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 18, 2008

AAwww I'm flattered you want a Mark figure. j/k i don't have that big of an ego.

Comment

• Mitch
              • Jul 25, 2011

Copywrite

If you're just doing it for yourself, no concerns.
              Infridgement only becomes an issue, if your making a public broadcast of it, or making the big dollars off of it or just making videos from it..the list goes on and on.
              If YOU'RE NOT MAKING ANY WAVES on this, then don't worry about it.
              I hope that helps. We all are selling use or custom Megos on ebay. I haven't seen any issues on that. You can customized anything. Now if I'm adding music videos from existing bands or movie themes, I would run into some hot water. So I don't do that.

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by Mitch
                If you're just doing it for yourself, no concerns.
                Infridgement only becomes an issue, if your making a public broadcast of it, or making the big dollars off of it or just making videos from it..the list goes on and on.
                If YOU'RE NOT MAKING ANY WAVES on this, then don't worry about it.
                I hope that helps. We all are selling use or custom Megos on ebay. I haven't seen any issues on that. You can customized anything.
                Agreed, really you need to only worry if you are trying to get the time on the shelves at Toysrus or something along those lines
                "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• almitysufx
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 27, 2004

There's always the added safety step which may or may not make it more legal, " Buy this awesome shirtless custom and get this limited made fan art shirt free as an added bonus"
                  Not really sure if it would make a difference, but it's a cool sales pitch,lol

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎