X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

POTA Astronaut

While I know that Mego didn't have the license to use Charlton Heston's likeness for the Planet of the Apes line, was there any reason why Mego didn't clothe the Astronaut in a white uniform?
    Scott
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

They probably had plenty of the blue fabric available, and they wouldn't have used the white fabric on licensed stuff because it was too translucent.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by ABMAC
      They probably had plenty of the blue fabric available, and they wouldn't have used the white fabric on licensed stuff because it was too translucent.
      While you're right that their white nylon stuff is/was "see thru", I would think that they could have found something white that was along the lines of what they used for the A/J jumpsuits?

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

They could have found something, but it would've cost them more.

Comment

• megozilla13
          Persistent Member
          • May 10, 2002

I can't think of any AJ outfit that used the exact same fabric the astronaut jumpsuit was made of, so I wouldn't say it was something that was in stock and they used to save money. I would guess it had more to do with their decision to create an "astronaut" character to be used with the apes instead of paying for a licensed Heston character from the movie. Perhaps they anticipated that putting the figure in a movie accurate suit would bring on a lawsuit from Heston himself even if the head sculpt didn't have his likeness.
          mikej
          WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• ABMAC
            User
            • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by megozilla13
            I can't think of any AJ outfit that used the exact same fabric the astronaut jumpsuit was made of, so I wouldn't say it was something that was in stock and they used to save money. I would guess it had more to do with their decision to create an "astronaut" character to be used with the apes instead of paying for a licensed Heston character from the movie. Perhaps they anticipated that putting the figure in a movie accurate suit would bring on a lawsuit from Heston himself even if the head sculpt didn't have his likeness.
            mikej
            You're forgetting Batman's cape. There's more to Mego than Apes and AJ.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

OK, that might actually answer my follow up question as to why Alan Carter is Red......
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megozilla13
                Persistent Member
                • May 10, 2002

You're forgetting Batman's cape. There's more to Mego than Apes and AJ.
                Sorry, I should have mentioned I was refering to the first astronaut suit. The material used for the suits of the first astronaut figures is not the same as the stiff nylon that was later used, and that is the same as the Batman cape. I say the "first" astronaut figures because I have only seen this suit on astronauts on first issue cards. I have never heard of, seen, or owned a batman with a "soft" cape the same hue of blue. Maybe Ben could correct me if I'm mistaken. For that reason I would have to say that it was not something Mego did to save money but for some other intentional reason.

But there are other reasons. The pota figures were marketed as "authentic replicas" of the actual movie characters. Based on the detail that went into the rest of the figures, I don't think they would have gotten the astronaut wrong to save money or by accident. I also don't think the white they were using for the AJ snow suit was not translucent enough for it to have factored in to the decision. In saying "it was too translucent for licensed stuff" doesn't follow since the astronaut was not a licensed character from the film. If the licensor would have had a problem with the translucency I would think they would have had a greater problem with it being the completely wrong color.

mikej

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I think the blue was there because the licensor probably wasn't involved. Mego most likely didn't have the rights to any human actors for the film series and just decided to make the figure completely theirs.

What kid would really remember what color Taylor's uniform was or the fact that he didn't even have a helmet?

Cheron/Mugato/Brown Gorn

Comment

• ABMAC
                    User
                    • May 16, 2002

Technically, the Astronaut character isn't licensed, but 20th C. Fox could control what was sold in Apes packaging. It's entirely possible that they told Mego to put the Astronaut in a blue outfit, just as they instructed other companies to make blue Zaiuses and brown-shirted Corneliuses.

OK, there might not have been a Batman cape made from the softer blue fabric, but the Air Force outfit made for the Italian AJ and the standard Italian AJ jumpsuit is made from that fabric. Mego's factory did have it in stock.

Comment

• megozilla13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 10, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                      I think the blue was there because the licensor probably wasn't involved. Mego most likely didn't have the rights to any human actors for the film series and just decided to make the figure completely theirs.

What kid would really remember what color Taylor's uniform was or the fact that he didn't even have a helmet?

Cheron/Mugato/Brown Gorn
                      I remember being bothered as a kid about the hieroglyphics on Cornelius's shirt.

I remember Neal Kublan saying that they didn't want to pay for the Heston likeness because they felt there was no need for it.

I wonder if its still the case that any toy based on a movie character requires the licensee to pay the owner of the property as well as the actor who played the character. And how the rates differ in lets say, something like a Keaton Batman where only the mouth is showing to something like a Roth Superman where its the whole head.

Comment

• megozilla13
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 10, 2002

Technically, the Astronaut character isn't licensed, but 20th C. Fox could control what was sold in Apes packaging. It's entirely possible that they told Mego to put the Astronaut in a blue outfit, just as they instructed other companies to make blue Zaiuses and brown-shirted Corneliuses.

OK, there might not have been a Batman cape made from the softer blue fabric, but the Air Force outfit made for the Italian AJ and the standard Italian AJ jumpsuit is made from that fabric. Mego's factory did have it in stock.

Its possible Fox could have requested it, saying something like "if your not going to pay for the likeness, then make it completely different"

I've owned the Italian AJ in the unique jumpsuit and its not the same fabric. Actually the batman cape comes alot closer
                        If I make it to Megomeet, I'll show you.
                        Last edited by megozilla13; Jan 3, '08, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I remember Neal Kublan saying that they didn't want to pay for the Heston likeness because they felt there was no need for it.
                          The likeness for Heston wasn't in the original package it seems, I think it had to be negotiated separately. I read an interview with the writer of the Marvel Apes series who said they had to specifically make Taylor not look like Heston.

I wonder if its still the case that any toy based on a movie character requires the licensee to pay the owner of the property as well as the actor who played the character. And how the rates differ in lets say, something like a Keaton Batman where only the mouth is showing to something like a Roth Superman where its the whole head.
                          From my experience, it's a package, the licensor usually negotiates that with the star, and the actors can also make the toy *not* look too much like them.

My friend Eric had the license to the first Tomb Raider movie and Jolie drove him batty through the licensor.

Comment

• ABMAC
                            User
                            • May 16, 2002

I shouldn't have used the Italian outfits as examples without looking at them first. I have them, plus a Snowmobile outfit the same colour, but I didn't feel like braving the cold to dig them out and check. To assuage my curiousity, I just went and dug them all out anyway, and you are correct. My theory that they already had the fabric may be wrong, but I still think they were either told to use blue or they chose to use it because of the white fabric's translucency.

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

Mego most likely didn't have the rights to any human actors for the film series and just decided to make the figure completely theirs.
                              It's probably very true that they didn't have the rights to any "human" actor from the films, but I've always wondered why they went with the guy they used? I mean they could have at least either retooled A/J a bit or just used him as is for a bearded astronaut... That would have been better than what we have now...

Again, you're probably right: They just made a "simple" figure rather than even bothering with a white suit, etc... But, to give some kids credit, I'm sure there were a few that thought "Why's this guy in blue?" I say that because PLANETand BENEATH were on TV before the figures even came out and I'd guess at least a few kids seen them and kept that white outfit in the back of their head... Plus, for the kids that were a little older (probably early teens by the time the figures came out), they might have had the TOPPS gum cards lying around, and those cards do show the guys in their white space-suits...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎