Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help w/ japanese translation (kaiju vinyls)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

Need help w/ japanese translation (kaiju vinyls)

Just curious what the writing on these figures say. Do they give the dates?
    I'm on the fence about whether I want to sell these, if they're not worth much, ill probably keep them, but if they are vintage vinyls that fetch a decent price, then they may be better suited for somebody else's collection if that makes sense.

Black Masai from the Red Baron TV show (first or second episode I believe)

• 4NDR01D
    • Jan 22, 2008

Ultraman MEFILAS

Comment

• 4NDR01D
      • Jan 22, 2008

i don't know this guy really, looks familiar, but not one of my favorites.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Nice stuff, those are definitely vintage. I can read everything except the kanji characters.

The first one says " copyright NTV <kanji> Bullmark" on one foot and "Black Masai" on the other.

The second: " copyright <kanji> Productions" and "Mefiras Seijin (alien)" on one foot, and "Bullmark" with their logo on the other.

The third: this guy is Getta Ryger (his team members are Getta Dragon and Getta Poseidon from Getta Robo G). It says " copyright Dynamic Productions (Go Nagai's company), Fuji TV, <kanji>, Getta Ryger" on his back.

If you are thinking of selling, I'd be interested in the Getta Ryger, but to be honest have no idea what he's worth. How tall is he?

I can ask my wife what the kanji says, but I'm almost positive that they have nothing to do with the dates of manufacture. I think they are company names (definitely in the case of the second vinyl)

Hope this helps, nice stuff!
        Last edited by cjefferys; Feb 6, '12, 4:39 PM.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
          • Jan 22, 2008

Thanks Chris, appreciate it.
          The Getta Ryger is approx 5". I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe a trade or something?
          I really like the Black Masai figure, couldn't figure out who he was until I picked up a boxed set of Red Baron at best Buy for $5, first episode there he is, I'm jumping up and down "I've got him, he's my guy, he's my guy" lol.
          I've also got a handful of Bullmark miniatures, pretty sure they're vintage too. don't really know how they were distributed though, maybe vending?

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

No problem Andy. Cool, I'll see what kind of trade fodder I have.

I like the Red Baron and Mach Baron robot toys, but I'm not familiar with their villians at all. That guy is pretty cool looking though. I've been meaning to pick up that Red Baron DVD set. How long ago did you pick it up for $5.00?

Got a pic of the miniatures? I know that Bandai released a bunch of miniature repros of vintage Bullmark figures in vending machines under the "Soul of Bullmark" series of gashapon figures several years ago, they have the Bullmark logo on the bottoms and everything, but I'm sure they made small versions back in the day too.
            Last edited by cjefferys; Feb 6, '12, 5:22 PM.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
              • Jan 22, 2008

Will be two years ago June that I picked up the RB. Was the only one in the dump bin.
              looks like you could still get one fairly cheaply off the bay.
              THE SUPER ROBOT RED BARON: THE COMPLETE SERIES (DVD) (683904508539) | eBay

Muscle man for scale

I swear it doesnt look this dusty in person. Macro lens+flash= every single flaw.

I don't see the bullmark logo, so maybe these are the Bandai?
              Last edited by 4NDR01D; Feb 6, '12, 5:59 PM.

Comment

• Splitty
                Career Member
                • Jan 25, 2012

Dang, that sure is handy to be able to read Japanese.
                I swear I've been contemplating learning the language, just for the toys.

I almost feel bad about it.
                I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                  Will be two years ago June that I picked up the RB. Was the only one in the dump bin.
                  looks like you could still get one fairly cheaply off the bay.
                  THE SUPER ROBOT RED BARON: THE COMPLETE SERIES (DVD) (683904508539) | eBay

Muscle man for scale

I swear it doesnt look this dusty in person. Macro lens+flash= every single flaw.

I don't see the bullmark logo, so maybe these are the Bandai?

Cool, I'll have to pick up that DVD set. That little guy is a Bullmark, the logo is missing but the katakana characters at the bottom say "Bullmark". The top part has the same characters as the Ultraman kaiju you pictured. This little one is a Ultraman kaiju too, right? So the kanji must be the name of the production company in both cases (who's name escapes me right now).

Oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention that the Getta Ryger/Liger was made by Popy. Did a bit of research, and I noticed that a mint bagged set of all three Getta G robots, including this guy, recently sold on ebay for around $120, so that gives you some idea what yours might be worth, considering condition, etc. So sorry man, you ain't gonna get rich off him at least. I can check into the others as well if you want.
                  Last edited by cjefferys; Feb 6, '12, 9:06 PM.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                    Cool, I'll have to pick up that DVD set. That little guy is a Bullmark, the logo is missing but the katakana characters at the bottom say "Bullmark". The top part has the same characters as the Ultraman kaiju you pictured. This little one is a Ultraman kaiju too, right? So the kanji must be the name of the production company in both cases (who's name escapes me right now).

Oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention that the Getta Ryger/Liger was made by Popy. Did a bit of research, and I noticed that a mint bagged set of all three Getta G robots, including this guy, recently sold on ebay for around $120, so that gives you some idea what yours might be worth, considering condition, etc. So sorry man, you ain't gonna get rich off him at least. I can check into the others as well if you want.
                    Ha! I found that completed auction too, just hadnt updated here yet. That makes him worth, what, $20 or so? Ah well what can you do. Pretty sure I got the whole lot including some 70's power rangers ,some Kamen Riders, all the mini's (approx.1 dz) for about that, so I can't complain. I would appreciate if you find anything on the others too though. Pm your address and I'll pop the Getta in the mail.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Unfortunately, most robot vinyls seem to be less desireable than kaiju ones. Most Japanese robot collectors focus on the Chogokin and Jumbo Machinders, other than the occasional rare missile firing robot vinyl. I'll see what I can find on the other guys.

And hey, that's really nice of you re: the Ryger, but I don't mind sending something off to you in trade. What kind of Japanese stuff do you like, I have some extra little gashapon Ultra Q or Godzilla vinyls (the Bullmark miniatures that I mentioned above) for example? I'll shoot you my addy, you send me yours and I'll see what extra Japanese stuff I got lying around.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                        • Jan 22, 2008

sounds good. I'm easy to trade with, any goofy monster thing does it for me.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Sent ya a PM. I think I can dig up some goofy monsters for ya.

Comment

• rche
                            channeling Bob Wills
                            • Mar 26, 2008

best thread of the year

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                              • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by rche
                              best thread of the year
                              I'd like to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press, My mom and dad, all the fine members of the Mego Museum,Especially CJefferies for the translation, I couldn't have done it without you guys....
                              Last edited by 4NDR01D; Feb 7, '12, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎