Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LJNfan
    • Dec 23, 2007

Question on Adam-12

Being a fan of LJN figures and anything to do with shows such as Emergency, SWAT, The Rookies, and Adam-12, my unusual question is why were there never any figures based on Adam-12? It was much more popular back in the day then The Rookies and SWAT, which had quite a bit of collectibles based on the shows. I know this is an unusual question but I figured someone might be able to shed some light on this. The first season of Adam-12 that was released by Universal on DVD must not have sold well enough to warrant the second season to be released, which is very upsetting. Thanks for any information guys.
    sigpic Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is Bowling. There are rules.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

That is kind of odd, maybe with the Rookies and Swat, they felt they had enough police programs? Also wasn't Adam 12 kind of on the way out by the mid seventies?

I used to love watching reruns of that show.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LJNfan
      • Dec 23, 2007

Adam-12 had a longer run then SWAT. Adam-12 ran from 1968-1975, where SWAT only had one season, from 1975-1976. What really surprised me was that Emergency ran from 1972-1979, even being a huge fan of the series I did not remember it lasting to 1979. It is hard collecting this LJN line, there is just not a lot of items out there, and when they do come up everyone jumps on them. My dream is to find the Emergency playset, I have only seen one on Ebay in the last 2 years and it went for around $400 dollars. I guess I picked the wrong line to be interested in, Later.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, when it comes to ADAM-12, there wasn't a whole lot of merchandising. They had a lunchbox and comics. There may have been a few other things such as squad-cars, but I think that's about it.

Recently, I read that "Emergency!" was far and away Mark VII Productions (Jack Webb's company) most popular series. It ran the longest, was extremely popular in syndication (Good Morning America even interviewed the cast in '85 to discuss this fact), had the most merchandise, it's own cartoon series and was inducted (along with many artifacts from the series) into the Smithsonian in 2001 for it's public service.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

SWAT ran two seasons, I always thought it was more popular than that.

Comment

• LJNfan
            • Dec 23, 2007

I'm not sure if you are a LJN fan but I am guessing from your avatar and name that you are a fan of Emergency. Have you seen the Emergency playset that shows up on Ebay every now and then? It is similar to just about every other playset in design, except it is has two stories. It becomes frustrating sometimes that there is not the selection of merchandise available, compared to Mego merchandise, which is not a bad thing, I collect both but when it is available I will spend the money on the LJN stuff. There has been a steady stream of the fire trucks available lately, but the majority of them are in pretty rough shape.

Yeah I thought it was on a little longer myself. Along with Adam-12, the first season of SWAT must not have been a big seller, if there was a second season it is not being released either. I have the first season and as corny as it can be at times, it still brings back good memories and is fun to watch. At least Emergency is selling enough, I think the 4th season comes out pretty soon.

Originally posted by palitoy
            SWAT ran two seasons, I always thought it was more popular than that.
            Last edited by ABMAC; Jan 10, '08, 1:16 PM.

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

I think the Time factor had a lot to do with it. Although action figures of TV shows were made sometimes, it didn't seem to be the thing to do until Mego (i.e. I don't remember any action figures for Irwin Allen shows in thier network run, something that would be unthinkable in the 1970's for those type of shows) broke that market wide open with Planet Of The Apes and Star Trek 1973 on.

Although Adam 12 was still being made, it was beyond it's being the "hot show" circa 1974-75. So, when LJN concentrated on The Rookies, SWAT and Emergency! all of which were either new or still hot.

If Mego did the 8" figure thing a few years earlier and LJN followed suite, then Adam 12 would've probabaly been among what LJN would grab and maybe even (GASP!) Dragnet (I'd love a Mego style Jack Webb).

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Although Adam 12 was still being made, it was beyond it's being the "hot show" circa 1974-75. So, when LJN concentrated on The Rookies, SWAT and Emergency! all of which were either new or still hot.
                I agree that the "Newness Factor" may have been an issue.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by LJNfan
                  I'm not sure if you are a LJN fan but I am guessing from your avatar and name that you are a fan of Emergency. Have you seen the Emergency playset that shows up on Ebay every now and then? It is similar to just about every other playset in design, except it is has two stories. It becomes frustrating sometimes that there is not the selection of merchandise available, compared to Mego merchandise, which is not a bad thing, I collect both but when it is available I will spend the money on the LJN stuff. There has been a steady stream of the fire trucks available lately, but the majority of them are in pretty rough shape.
                  I have seen that "Emergency!" fire house playset a few times over the years on ebay. I've seen a couple of really "trashed" ones and a couple of ones that were nearly mint. Like you mentioned, they don't show up too often. I agree with the other guys that ADAM-12 kind of missed the boat on action figures. However, I do remember ADAM-12 also being popular in syndication, too. I suppose a lot of kids liked it like we did. Kids probably would have bought the figures, but the pwoers that be must have felt differently.

As you guessed, I am a huge fan of "Emergency!". I have been for as long as I can remember. It's the reason I became a paramedic.

I got a book about "Emergency!" for Christmas and read that after it's sixth season some new Universal studio head decided to cancel "Emergency!" because something had to go, even though it's ratings were still high (had a 28 share). He wanted to make sure that "the Bionic Woman" was on long enough to be made available for syndication. However, when "the Six Million Dollar Man" got cancelled they cancelled "the Bionic Woman". The series only lasted for two seasons. So, lo and behold, that Universal studio exec was fired and they brought back Randy Mantooth, Kevin Tighe and some of the other cast memebers for another season of seven 2 hour TV movies.

- Ian

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I loved Adam-12 and Emrgency when I was a kid, but I can distinctly remember other shows taking hold that were grittier for they material in the mid-70's. SWAT and Starsky & Hutch were two of them. Actually SWAT got pulled not because of poor ratings, but because the critics felt it was too violent for television. Hard to believe when you see it now, but that is the truth. Funny this would come up at this moment because I've been piecing together some old Emergency figures and am currently looking for a good jacket that zips up. There are a handful out there on auction, but none of them have a working zipper. I've already completed my SWAT figures and love them! Of course Starsky and Hutch have been there since the 70's.

Comment

• LJNfan
                      • Dec 23, 2007

I would also love to see a Jack Webb action figure, but a Harry Morgan figure would also be great. I always liked Harry Morgan "Officer Gannon" a little more then Jack Webb, but no one can deny the fact that Jack Webb was the man. He was responsible for Dragnet, the TV show and the radio program, Emergency and Adam-12. I remember reading something that he also had a short lived program based on emergency veterinarians, does anyone remember this?

Originally posted by mego73
                      I think the Time factor had a lot to do with it. Although action figures of TV shows were made sometimes, it didn't seem to be the thing to do until Mego (i.e. I don't remember any action figures for Irwin Allen shows in thier network run, something that would be unthinkable in the 1970's for those type of shows) broke that market wide open with Planet Of The Apes and Star Trek 1973 on.

If Mego did the 8" figure thing a few years earlier and LJN followed suite, then Adam 12 would've probabaly been among what LJN would grab and maybe even (GASP!) Dragnet (I'd love a Mego style Jack Webb).
                      Let's hope that Universal releases the 7, 2 hour movies on DVD. Since the 4th season of Emergency is about to be released shows that sales of the DVD are strong. I was never a fan of "The Bionic Man" or "The Bionic Woman", so I was never really broke up when it was cancelled, even though I had the action figures of both, they were a Christmas presents.

I have seen a DVD of an Emergency convention on Ebay, is it worth getting? Thanks for the feedback EmergencyIan, it is good to talk to with people that share the same interests, it seems that there are not a lot of Emergency fans here.

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                      I have seen that "Emergency!" fire house playset a few times over the years on ebay. I've seen a couple of really "trashed" ones and a couple of ones that were nearly mint. Like you mentioned, they don't show up too often. I agree with the other guys that ADAM-12 kind of missed the boat on action figures. However, I do remember ADAM-12 also being popular in syndication, too. I suppose a lot of kids liked it like we did. Kids probably would have bought the figures, but the pwoers that be must have felt differently.

As you guessed, I am a huge fan of "Emergency!". I have been for as long as I can remember. It's the reason I became a paramedic.

I got a book about "Emergency!" for Christmas and read that after it's sixth season some new Universal studio head decided to cancel "Emergency!" because something had to go, even though it's ratings were still high (had a 28 share). He wanted to make sure that "the Bionic Woman" was on long enough to be made available for syndication. However, when "the Six Million Dollar Man" got cancelled they cancelled "the Bionic Woman". The series only lasted for two seasons. So, lo and behold, that Universal studio exec was fired and they brought back Randy Mantooth, Kevin Tighe and some of the other cast memebers for another season of seven 2 hour TV movies.

- Ian
                      MI4BI, it is great to hear from another Emergency fan. What Emergency jacket are you looking for, the blue jacket or the tan jacket? I have seen some on Ebay but I am not sure which one is for sale, I think both are available if I remember right. If you ever run across any Emergency collectibles for sale be sure to let me know, I am always on the lookout.

Speaking of gritty cop shows from the 70's, how could we forget Baretta? It was a great show for the times, if you can get past crazy Robert Blake's antics.

Great talking with you, hope to hear from you soon.

Originally posted by MIB41
                      I loved Adam-12 and Emrgency when I was a kid, but I can distinctly remember other shows taking hold that were grittier for they material in the mid-70's. SWAT and Starsky & Hutch were two of them. Actually SWAT got pulled not because of poor ratings, but because the critics felt it was too violent for television. Hard to believe when you see it now, but that is the truth. Funny this would come up at this moment because I've been piecing together some old Emergency figures and am currently looking for a good jacket that zips up. There are a handful out there on auction, but none of them have a working zipper. I've already completed my SWAT figures and love them! Of course Starsky and Hutch have been there since the 70's.
                      Last edited by ABMAC; Jan 10, '08, 1:16 PM.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by LJNfan
                        Let's hope that Universal releases the 7, 2 hour movies on DVD. Since the 4th season of Emergency is about to be released shows that sales of the DVD are strong. I was never a fan of "The Bionic Man" or "The Bionic Woman", so I was never really broke up when it was cancelled, even though I had the action figures of both, they were a Christmas presents.

I have seen a DVD of an Emergency convention on Ebay, is it worth getting? Thanks for the feedback EmergencyIan, it is good to talk to with people that share the same interests, it seems that there are not a lot of Emergency fans here.

LJN, I think it is worth it if you really are a big fan of the show. There are some great bloopers that come with the DVD set, as well.

I'm with you on the release of the TV movies, but let's get through the regular seasons first. I've learned to take it a season at a time and to keep hoping the sales are strong. I'd like to see the animated series released, as well, but I don't think it's very likely to happen.

- Ian

Comment

• mego73
                          Printed paperboard Tiger
                          • Aug 1, 2003

I'd love to see the cartoon as well. I have one episode of it on VHS tape from a trade. But it's not the episode I remember seeing where Johnny and Roy talk to the kids about the dangers of getting inside an abandoned refrigerator.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I don't remember the "Emergency + 4" cartoon. I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but never a full episode.

- Ian

Comment

• Action Martin
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 30, 2007

As corny as this may sound fellas, watching Adam-12 as a kid is what made me want to go into law enforcement. And now I am entering my 17th year in that field.

"1-Adam-12, 1-Adam-12, see the man who still collects action figures..."
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎