X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

PVC Hot Pour ?

"Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC). Same stuff as Creepy Crawlers or artificial fish bait. Also known as hot pour. Melt in a double-boiler and pour into heat resistant mold. Metal or silicone molds work great." FXSupply.com

Has anybody ever worked with this? Any good? Thanks!
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

I have. Not from the same supplier though. It all depends on what you are using it for whether or not it works well for you or not. I used it to make rubber like heads. Painting it was another issue.
    Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• TrueDave
      Toy Maker
      • Jan 12, 2008

Depending on it's rigidity I certainly could use it for moving parts on a figure. Arms, and flexible parts that i can pop on .
      Does it actually cure to be Creepy Crawler goop rigidity? That would tear in a point of articulation.
      Is PVC what the newer super articulated Star wars and GI Joe figures are made from?

I mix medical adhesive with craft paint to paint rubber. I hear Automotive interior paint works .

Comment

• Neutron X
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 22, 2007

I know you can still get Creepy Crawler Goop maybe just use it to mold?

Comment

• livnxxxl
          • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by TrueDave
          Depending on it's rigidity I certainly could use it for moving parts on a figure. Arms, and flexible parts that i can pop on .
          Does it actually cure to be Creepy Crawler goop rigidity? That would tear in a point of articulation.
          There is actually different versions of strength. Yes, You can get a mix that would give you the Creepy Crawler goop rigidity. Although over time with anything that is moveable you will eventually experience some break down unless you got with a more sturdy flexible version.

Is PVC what the newer super articulated Star wars and GI Joe figures are made from?
          That I am unsure of.

I mix medical adhesive with craft paint to paint rubber. I hear Automotive interior paint works .
          I figured that something existed I just have not found it yet. I have never tried the method that you described yet. Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try some time.

Comment

• livnxxxl
            • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by Neutron X
            I know you can still get Creepy Crawler Goop maybe just use it to mold?
            I really do not think that material would be best suitable for the type of pieces and the use that he wants to achieve.

Comment

• TrueDave
              Toy Maker
              • Jan 12, 2008

Thanks everybody!
              I went through a Creepy Crawler phase a few years ago so I'm familiatr with goop.
              I dont think I can use it to assemble a figure BUT.> I have a "Jiggler*" in the works and I think the PVC might be what I need.
              The supplier I talked to said it wouldnt take pigment very well though . . I need it to be black with just a few spots of flesh.

*jiggler: you know those Halloween rubber Bat on elastic type things from the 70's , I think they were made by Don Cooper? Batman, Spiderman, Doc Strange, Red Skull . .

Comment

• shellhead
                museum rustpot
                • Mar 1, 2007

The stuff fishing worms are made of is called plastisol.
                We used to use it a lot at Disney for animatronics and stuff.
                This stuff is TOXIC ! We use supplied oxygen respirators when we use it.
                Plast-goop, the creepy crawler stuff, is much less toxic, and actualy a lot easier to work with.
                I suggest a silicone product like Smooth-On's Dragon Skin.
                You can pigment it, paint it, and it feels just like the old jigglers.
                It's also very safe to use, and does'nt leave oily residue that can damage plastics and paint like plastisol.
                Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎