X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1977 Hasbro Super Joe Catalog

After folding the G.I. Joe Adventure Team in 1976, Hasbro sought to give their rugged man of action a massive overhaul. Thus SuperJoe was born, bearing little resemblence to the soldier of the past, Joe had lost four inches of height and the G.I prefix. Superjoe was now set in the far off future and (I'm guessing here) on another planet.

The Superjoe dolls were all electronic and the 1978 campaign was "They fight by night with light" meaning the figures were working penlights. Despite the very trendy Sci-Fi theme, Superjoe failed to gel with kids and faded away after the 1978 Christmas season.

Check out more in the 1977 SuperJoe Catalog

And hey if you're fascinated by Super Joe be sure to check out our Super Joe Action Figure Archive which has been freshly updated.

Super Joe Gallery
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Jason73
    Correctamundo!
    • Jan 11, 2009

These figures look so cool. Wish they could be found in good condition.
    Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Hey, thanks for the catalogue pics and the updates, one of my favourite lines.

Comment

• turnbolt
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 26, 2008

Love this line. I the midst of collecting and rebuilding the figures with Zica bodies.
        I like toys.

Colonel Raines' Toy Chest

Comment

• garagesale
          Dept. of Mego Studies
          • Aug 8, 2006

Thanks for this, Brian! Super Joe is so cool, even if the figure bodies were not well-made and the premise had some clunky components. The line shows how the success of both the Mego style and the Star Wars themes converged to influence Hasbro. As a young teenager moving away from toys in 77-78, I remember finding this overhaul of G.I. Joe awesome enough to still spark my interest.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I always thought Super Joe was cool as a kid. I had the Joe leader in the black outfit and Shield. With the help of friends here, I have been able to rebuild them after they fell apart. I even have the blister card for Shield again. Just need a hand and I'm done. I also have Gor with his blister card as well.

Speaking of Gor. He made a cameo appearance on one episode of Starksy & Hutch.

Last edited by MIB41; Jan 20, '12, 9:45 AM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

My grade six teacher gave me my SuperJoe. He still sits on a shelf in my basement as one of my favorite figures.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• kennermike
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 4, 2007

Man when I saw this line in early 1979 it was already in cleareance at K-mart if I can remember they were $2.50 a piece and I went nuts Love it !

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

great line. never gets the respect it deserves because of how crappy the bodies were

Comment

• The Nawd
                    Nawd your head for yes.
                    • Feb 15, 2011

I don't know why I never got any Super Joes when I was a kid.

Maybe my parents thought between my Mego figures and my Star Wars figures that I had enough action figures already. Just a guess.

Comment

• Godzilla
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 3, 2002

I love that Joe was now Mego scale. Despite all the issues, I have a deep love for Super Joe.
                      Mortui Vivos Docent
                      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

All I ever had was Shield and Luminos. I have deep love for this underrespected line. I think my ultimate Grail piece is a loose, minty Darkon. I'm not even concerned if he's refurbished, but he's got to have his sword.
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                          Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                          • Jan 22, 2008

I still confuse the SuperJoe and AT Joe. Mentally I combine the two lines together.
                          I have "most" of Luminos (if anybody has extra forearms let me know, I have extra lower legs if it helps), Darkon, Bulletman, Terron, Intruder and looking to add Gor and Sheild this year.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                            great line. never gets the respect it deserves because of how crappy the bodies were
                            I know what you mean... sadly, the bodies were not built to withstand the test of time. But back in the day, the bodies were great. They were more buff and had better articulation than Megos. And they were no more prone to breaking than Megos (at least for me).

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

I'd still love to add a restored Shield, Luminos and Darkon to my collection. The one figure you don't have to worry about being in pieces is Gor, as he was constructed differently. It's tricky to find one that isn't missing the battery compartment lid though.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎